Work
    • Scenery/Terrain/Aesthetics
      Work
    • Roots/Habit/Momentum
      Work
    • Other (please specify below)
      Work

caleb

Just about every adventure novel is rooted in and shaped by a particular place, which is probably a sign of how much our lives as outdoor adventurers are moulded by where we live.  Place is profoundly important, or at least I think so, and it's particularly important for those of us who love the outdoors.  

Where to live seems like one of the most important decisions an outdoorsman can make.  Which makes me wonder: How did you end up where you are, and what keeps you there?

Brad Adrian
I live and hunt in south Dakota for prairie  grouse.They are tree reason I moved here.

Jack L
My wife and I grew up in Iowa, our families are here and so is my job.  I love pheasant hunting in the fall and can't see ever leaving completely.

JWP58

I voted "other". Because its a combination of a couple of reasons.

Work, recreational, and seasons.

I am a very proud native Texan (and always will be), however I got tired of private land and 113 degree summers.....and mass populated urban areas (metromess)

So me and my bride moved north, to the second best state in the land. Public land is amazing, I still find myself a little weirded out to pull over and just start hunting (on blm or NF mind you)...I have to pinch myself.

Tiger MT's Carter
We moved to Nevada 27 years ago for work. We are still in Nevada and now retired.

walt lister
Other. I would have checked a couple of choices if I could have and  added weather as another option. Family, scenery and recreational opportunities were all part of the reason I retired to Arizona. (80* today)

valuman

I came here in 1988 to do a six month construction project, met v-babe, started a company with a partner, got married to v-babe, we had our first child, I broke up with my partner and after looking at job options in other parts of the country, we decided this was the place we wanted to raise our kids. Along the way, I enjoyed time in the outdoors and rekindled my love of hunting. We struggled financially for a pretty long time because of our decision to stay, but I'd do it all over again for the quality of life we've enjoyed and the outdoors are a huge piece of that for me.

So: work, family, recreational opportunities, scenery/terrain/aesthetics

I selected "Other" in the pole.

idcut

I voted other as well. I grew up in N Idaho, moved to AK in 1981 and back to N Idaho in 1997. Family, friends, hunting, fishing and for a myriad of other outdoor opportunities. I grew up about 55 miles south of where I currently live and would like to eventually move back when I retire. It's more rural, the original family homestead is there and it's even closer yet to outdoor activities.

Relatively mild winters, dry, warm summers and unlimited public lands, rivers and lakes to roam around in. It has about everything and whatever isn't in close proximity, a short drive (3 hours or less) north, south or east will put me into what I want to do in the outdoors.

A fairly short drive to Seattle and the coast and all that is offered there is a nice option.

Remo
I went with roots although if I didn't stay here I'd have been west of the Mississippi anyway. I need to see out and don't like to be cramped by people.

bigjohnsd
Climate, central location, low taxes, recreation, cost of living, friendly folks.

Greg Hartman

I live in the same county where I grew up.  Partly because of abusive parents, I never, ever wanted to see this area again - literally didn't come home from my high school graduation - only wanted to see Berks County in the rearview!

Got a free tour of the world from the Army, lived near the school when going to school, lived in Europe and lived in Florida.  No thought of going back to PA.  Around the time I was really hating the big city, big law firm environment in Miami, I got a call from an old friend who was with a law firm in Berks County, offering me a partnership in a year if I could build business law department from scratch for them (they did mostly litigation).  Having a young family and plenty of bills, I jumped that opportunity.  I did what they wanted and they were as good as their word - I was a partner in a year.  Started my own firm a year after that and have been here ever since.  Business-wise, this area has been good to me.

What keeps me here is mainly the land that we were able to buy long ago when it was affordable because it allows us to live deep in the woods in an area of the country that was nice when I was young but is now is grossly-overpopulated and over-developed.  If I had to live in a suburb or town, I'd have been out of here years ago.  Another factor is the ability to do part-time work in retirement for the firm.  Another is the fact that I could not move my wife anywhere at this point.

I would MUCH rather live in the west - maybe MT, SD or ND.  I'm getting kinda old for this, but if I found myself single, I still might well move out there; or maybe just spend 6 months/year out there in the motorhome.

tut

Because I'm stupid.  :)

Started out as work.  Government for 30 years and retired while fairly young (mid 50's).  Went back to work after retirement as a contractor.  Did that for a few years and then the work for us government contractors went away due to budget cuts yada yada.

Still supporting two out of three kids getting advanced degrees.  One away at school the other one living at home, working part time and still working on that masters.

Wife of thirty plus years loves this area or should I say loves where we are located in this area.  Two miles from health care, grocery stores, etc.  Further plus is I can drive my car to the local garage and walk home in two minutes.  Walk to the post office, two restaurants, 7/11 type store and the bank.

All the above are good reasons to live here from every perspective except hunting.  For deer hunting no issues.  I've got private land within an hour that I have free rein to deer/turkey hunt and its good for both.  Upland however is pretty much non-existent.  Have to drive at min 90 minutes (Pa state Gamelands) to chase stocked pheasants or drive to the National Forest (2 plus hours) to chase what few grouse we have.

If I had my druthers the wild spirited side of me wants to pack up everything and head west (I've hunted Kansas/ND/SD/OK and MT for upland) because the folks are nice and the land is big and holds birds.  Maybe not near as many as in years gone by, but compared to local its much much better.

If I had to guess I'll remain right here and have a couple of so so bird dogs who don't get much bird exposure and my hunting will consist of walks in the mostly barren National Forests or the SGL in Pa which are crowded and often unsafe.  Is what it is.   I will however as long as humanely possible make at least two hunting trips a year to Maine or out west somewhere to experience better bird numbers and at least out west the wide open country.

Mike Connally

I live in a very nice suburb in northern Virginia. I grew up 10 miles from here and almost all my family lives close by. Work kept me in the area (Washington DC area is very stable). The bird hunting isn't as good as I would like but over the years I've found places that get me by. I hunt the birds available in the pockets where they live. When something gets scarce, I hunt another kind of bird.

There's no scenery in the suburbs but the mountains are an hour away and I love the swamps of tidewater. There are birds in both.

Snipeaholic

It is home. My great grandfather came here in the late 1800s and took up farming. I have many relatives close by and we are a tightly knit family that get together ofter. I live in the house I grew up in and my folks are 30 minutes away. Though I don't work it the farm is still in business. The summers sure do seem hotter and I would like to dodge them but tending my shops requires me to be local.

I have traveled some and seen some places I really like and would love to spend more time but none of them are "home".

gunsrus
I have a wife . This is where she wants to live . Need I say more ???