FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Laminarman

What's your favorite saltwater fish you catch?

Laminarman
I have never caught saltwater fish that I prepared and ate myself.  I hear striped bass aren't that good (but I love sea bass.)   I love tuna, rare.  I do like flounder.  Would a yellow fin I caught myself taste the same as in a good restaurant?  Are flounder/sea bass/tuna etc..that I get in the market wild or farm raised?  Then there are all sorts of fish I know nothing about like Tog? Cobia? Any saltwater fishermen/cooks on here?  I am somewhat clueless but itching to go catch something this summer and eat it.  Give me recipes and photos so I can go slay something...

polecat
Tog fishing can be good in May.The fillets are thick. A fine tasting white flesh.

browndrake

It has been a long time since I lived near the ocean.  When I was a kid, I lived on the naval base on Newport Island. I had the run of the base.  

At night, I would often fish with dad for stripers, blue fish, and squeteague.  Some days we would go to the dikes and fish for tautog.  When Dad was at work I was either on the piers catching squid or down along the beaches catching flounder.  If I timed it right, I would catch the commercial fishermen when the came in and I would trade some squid for cod.

Our favorite to eat were probably the flounder.  We baked them, with lemon, or breaded and fried them.  Really liked the squeteague too, but I never got into those without dad around. We usually fished for those at night and out of my bike distance.

We usually used squid for bait, but at the right times you could pick fish up on rapalas, hula poppers, or flies.

Now, not only am I land locked but also live in a desert.  Lake Powell isn't too far away and there are striped bass there.  We eat a lot of stripers and really enjoy them.   We usually bread it shallow fry it.

I can't compare the fish we caught to store bought as salmon is the only fish that I have ever bought.

gaberdeen
I really like Red Snapper caught when I visit my family down in Destin Fl. Has a really nice eating quality.74ea6262.jpg[/url]

Escopeton
Halibut, rock cod, white seas bass, dorado, Abacore, Calico Bass among a few.

charlo slim

Halibut or lingcod.  FRESH!  Cooked hot and fast. Baked/broiled in mayo/parm. Fried in egg dip and crushed saltine cracker breading.  Even boiled in sugar water, served with melted butter.

Oooh...I'm hungry!

Laminarman
Gaberdeen, nice haul.  I forget to mention I like Red Snapper.  Had it blackened a few weeks ago in Key West, was awesome.  Of course, it was after about 324 beers at Sloppy Joe's Bar, so I could have eaten a boat anchor and it would have tasted good...but you get the drift...

roysetters3
There are chinook and coho salmon in some upstate NY rivers, it's hard to beat fresh, bright salmon. I used to spend my summers in Alaska and ate the day's salmon catch every day...

idcut

I like halibut, dorado, cod etc.

Bought a halibut cookbook in Homer AK that was put out by the locals. It has some fine recipes in it, with a couple of favorites being the mayo/parm and the faux lobster, which is cooked in sugar water as Charlo mentions.

Burned out on salmon, I think I've cooked it every way imaginable, but will still eat it smoked and maybe once or twice a year fresh barbequed.

Ben Hong

I would not consider salmon a saltwater fish, and I would never list it as a favorite. I dearly love to eat fish of any kind from the ocean though: snapper, grouper, halibut, sole/flounder, monkfish, skate wings, sea bass, whiting, etc. etc.

Tip: try Panko breading, if you are frying fish.

Curt
My favorite is redfish...blackened redfish to be exact.

Pete F
I find the secret is straight from the water to the pan or grill. Almost any saltwater fish is great. A couple of years ago we were on Cuttyhunk and caught stripers, blues and a false albacore. Everyone always told me that albies were not worth eating. Wrong, of course it was a couple of hours old and had not been sitting in a fish market for a week. Makes a big difference with bluefish and mackerel also.

Cooter Brown

I was tarpon fishing in the Keys about ten years ago.  We had stopped for lunch.

We were just shooting the sh!t, staked out in the boat munching wonderful sandwiches from the Cuban deli in Marathon.  We were staying at our guide Tim's place and had been talking about what we were going eat that night.

Suddenly Tim jumped up in mid bite and with the sandwich stuffed in his mouth started stripping line off my flyrod and casting at something.

"What the hell are you doing, Tim?"  I was a bit annoyed.  I hadn't fed a fish all day.  I figured he had seen a pod of 'poons swimming by and was trying to jump one.  Which I figured was my part in the relationship Tim and I had.

"Mimehmeh!  Mimehmeh!"  He was having trouble talking through the sandwich sticking out of his mouth.

"Damn, Tim.  Me and Steve (my buddy was named Steve too) are supposed to be the ones fishing.  I know we're on lunch and all but..."

He didn't hook up and took the sandwich out of his mouth.

"Tripletail.  It was a tripletail.  I was trying to get us some dinner, you dumbass.  Best fish in the ocean."

So I never got to eat a tripletail but I have it on very good authority that they're really good.

Laminarman
There are chinook and coho salmon in some upstate NY rivers, it's hard to beat fresh, bright salmon. I used to spend my summers in Alaska and ate the day's salmon catch every day...

Well...they're not saltwater fish first of all, second of all, I've had them when they're running, and I wouldn't put them up there with great fish fare.

irish Eyes
Many people turn up their nose at bluefish but not me. We could always troll one up in the sailboat. At anchor I'd filet it , wrap in foil with slices of onion and cook it on the BBQ grill aboard. Once finished it would get a big glob of salsa on top. Loved it........Admiral would have a burger.