Sign in to follow this  
HuntersDad

2015 fishing pics

SODAKer

For you guys who fish in bear country, how do you go about it, what do you take along...?

Thanks

GraceinVA
New addiction...  Big fish, little rivers. Similar to grouse hunting with equally rewarding pay off. Elusive, unique habitats, easy to miss, beautiful creatures.

45cfbc9f8fb8e9d5100f29d28e3ebd78_zpscxg9

b30784eb405da097e837a64212f272fd_zpsi4lg

0542ca139d1027552b32cad3d8696141_zpsdaxz

Still trying to get one on the fly...

https://instagram.com/p/3NOnYdCPlL/

Looks like some New River fish to me? Great catches!

braque du upstate

20150510_143256_zpsjqyghaoj.jpg

lousy pic, fun day. she tied on her own jig and out-fished her 15 y/.o brother. she fought and landed a decent carp, probably had 30 people watch her. kids didn't want to leave. i saw some nasty weather blowing in,  biblical thunderstorm soaked us to the bone.

Field Grade

Wow. Those muskies are some beasts. Congrats!

I fish in an area with alot of black bears. I often see one or two either when I'm heading into the stream or occasionally when I'm wading.

Honestly, every black bear I've ever encountered -- and there have been many dozens -- tears a$$ away the minute they hear/see/or scent us.

I put a bell on the dog if she's coming along fishing with me... this gives them ample warning that we're around. Also, the dog has seen bears before and she knows not to chase or otherwise approach them.

Other than that, I guess I take my chances. I don't carry a sidearm or anything, if I did it would have to be in a shoulder holster because it would get soaked around my waist while I'm wading.

If we're walking out of the river back to the truck at dark, I make noise to alert any bears. I'm more concerned with coyotes coming after the dog than bears.

-Rob J.

Field Grade

Some Catskills flyfishing photos from the past few weeks.

We happily just got a good dose of rain... all the rivers were getting low and warm, after a week or so of August-like temperatures. Now things are cooling off a bit and all the waters are recharged, for awhile, at least.

A pretty little side channel on one of the streams I fish.

flyfishing0515i_zpssrmths42.jpg

Wild columbine clinging to a ledge.

catskills0515hh_zpsp0lm8k1x.jpg

20" brown that took a March Brown dun. A couple others broke me off that day. The March Browns can bring up the bigger fish sometimes.

brown0515e_zpsuidga8av.jpg

Brookie that took a CDC & Elk caddis, one of my go-to dries.

P1010092_zpstpgln3yn.jpg

Brown with some decent colors on him.

flyfishing0515a_zpsd7cimduo.jpg

Old Heddon rod and a hidden brookie pool back up in a holler.

catskills0515kk_zps0ngqhor1.jpg

Riverside azalea.

catskills0515jj_zpsk1scinan.jpg

Another view of brookie cascade.

catskills0515mm_zps5tfdhsjv.jpg

-Rob J.

Big Al

Nice pics. That big brown was real pale. Was it a clay bottom?

I just love that trout live in beautiful places.

Field Grade

Al,

That fish ran up from a reservoir. The reservoir trout stay deep all winter and are real pure silver when they come up into the river in spring.

Timing their runs is tough, since water temps and levels and baitfish/mayfly hatches has alot to do with it.

But if you hit it right you might find some 3-4-5 pound fish gulping duns in the streams that feed the reservoirs.

Rob J.

HuntersDad

I had a great time today in my little raft.  I only caught a handful of fish but they were all pretty decent fish.  All in all a really good day to be out on the water.

DSCF3339_zpswij7po2v.jpg

DSCF3333_zpsuwqshd0u.jpg

DSCF3329_zpsptxz9at1.jpg

DSCF3325_zpssdqpklms.jpg

HuntersDad
New addiction...  Big fish, little rivers. Similar to grouse hunting with equally rewarding pay off. Elusive, unique habitats, easy to miss, beautiful creatures.

45cfbc9f8fb8e9d5100f29d28e3ebd78_zpscxg9

b30784eb405da097e837a64212f272fd_zpsi4lg

0542ca139d1027552b32cad3d8696141_zpsdaxz

Still trying to get one on the fly...

https://instagram.com/p/3NOnYdCPlL/

Looks like some New River fish to me? Great catches!

Holy Smokes!  I want to do that pretty bad, but I will certainly need something with a bit more backbone than my 5wt!

HuntersDad
For you guys who fish in bear country, how do you go about it, what do you take along...?

Thanks

I fish and hunt mountain grouse where there is a pretty substantial number of black bears.  They always just grunt and run away.

GraceinVA
I had a great time today in my little raft.  I only caught a handful of fish but they were all pretty decent fish.  All in all a really good day to be out on the water.

DSCF3339_zpswij7po2v.jpg

DSCF3333_zpsuwqshd0u.jpg

DSCF3329_zpsptxz9at1.jpg

DSCF3325_zpssdqpklms.jpg

Wow...thats a lot of fish sticks right there. Good catch!

Big Al

Thanks

I carry bear spray. I have never had to use it.  I have encountered one black bear and when he realized I was there he turned and walked away.  My heart rate about doubled before he left though.

HuntersDad

I had another fun day on the lake today.  Well at least until the hail storm came rolling in.

DSCF3345_zpsjwipcohe.jpg

Brad Adrian

A channel cat (about 3 pounds) caught on a #10 white crystal bugger and a 3 weight rod this morning. Pretty sporty fish on a light rod.

004_zps6tjqxkjb.jpg

Keith E. Carlson

Westslope Cutthroat, One of the most beautiful of trout. In post spawning color from Lochsa River, Idaho.

IMG_1073.jpg-2jpg_zpsmliuzmx3.jpg