REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GB Jack

Ghosts, what is the deal

mshowman
But I do believe that passed love ones and even pets will come visit you or even help you when you really need it

Maybe that.

I probably should have had all kinds of ghost issues, after all I grew up in a house where I found my grandmother dead (I was 12), then sat with my dad and mom as each of them passed, all in the same room in front of the same window. Ghosts just never happened for me, at least not there or then, but there is a situation that I just can't get past.

Five years ago my daughter was in a terrible car wreck. Her boyfriend was killed and she was left with about a dozen broken bones in her face. The boyfriend wasn't wearing a seat belt and was thrown across the car where his head was crushed between her and the collapsed roof of the car. He literally bled to death into her face where she was trapped, semi-conscious and unable move.

There were some things that happened during the few days following the accident that I'll never be able to explain. I can't and won't try to tell the entire story but it involved a dream about my mother, who had died 20 years earlier, coming to comfort my daughter, and the realization that what I dreamed for 3 consecutive nights was exactly the same thing that my daughter remembered from the nightmare she lived that night. Exactly! Things like what my mother did and said to comfort my daughter. Things too detailed for two people who, more than 400 miles apart, could have both seen so clearly. I refuse to think of my mother as a ghost but her presence was somehow there with both of us.

MN Tonester

If you are Christian, then you believe in ghosts.

On what basis would you say that?!

GB Jack
If you are Christian, then you believe in ghosts.

On what basis would you say that?!

The holy trinity

HAMMER DOG

May just be the hillbilly in my blood lines before my family immigrated to Oklahoma but yeah I believe in them and have seen three things in my life I cannot explain in any rational way. First time was when I was 7 and we lived at my grand parents house while my mom and dad were separated after my youngest brother died of crib death. There was an old house across the alley way which had been deserted for as long as even my dad could remember, but still actually in good shape despite all the years and to this day still is. I had been told by granny to stay away from that old place as it was too dangerous for me to be messing round in, of course a 7 year old with a big curiosity and a penchant for getting in trouble cannot resist that challenge  :laugh: . One day I took my squirrel dog George our real early with the intent of getting some meat and tail fur for selling to a local guy that made some great Mepps type spinners. Day was just breaking when we headed to that old house which had some great old pecan and walnut trees as well as some Bois D'Arcs which were just fruiting out, and plenty of squirrels to go along with that bounty. As me and George are heading across the alley he turns and high tails it back straight to grannys house, highly unusual behavior for a dog scared of nothing so much so he died at the hands of a GSP he started the fight with. I decided to go on and looking at the houses second level I see a figure in a window that looked like and old woman and the next second it was gone, and I never took my eyes off the window. Granny scolded the heck out of me when I told her about it and tanned my hide as well for disobeying. Seems the old woman who died there was rumored to be a witch of sorts who the black community in town frequented quite often as well and when she died her body was not discovered for weeks, she died in the same room I saw the figure in. Now I never knew any of that before that day so its not like my mind tricked me into recreating that old legend.

Next was when I was 10 and we were out night fishing on the creek near my house under a bridge for catfish. The old bridge had been the site of several accidents even when we were living close by, too fast and too curvy a road but teens still paid no mind to it. About 2 in the morning my buddy Johnny Morgan taps me on the shoulder and whispers "what in the world is that", down the creek about 30 yards there is an odd light, like a firefly but 100X bigger and just kinda meandering around the area. The next day I told my dad about it and he said the place was rumored even when he was a kid to be haunted by a kids ghost who drove off the bridge and his body was never found. We fished that old bridge a bunch of times and while we always heard some weird sounds that none of us ever could figure what they were but that was the only time we ever saw that weird light before or after that.

The last time was when I was 17 and a friend was talking his grannys house was haunted, even had a name Ralph. The house was in a formerly very well to do area of town and very old at the time even but in wonderful shape. I scoffed at him despite my past experiences as this guy had a black belt in ******** and had since I first met him in 7th grade, and said cool lets stay there for the night as his granny wanted him to feed her cat while she was outta town that weekend anyway. Things were normal till about 1 in the morning when said cat all of a sudden freaked the hell out and ran, like a scalded cat, to grannys room and hid under the bed. The next thing I know I see a mist go across the hallway that led to the garage, that would have been weird enough but the next morning all my clothes I had laid out were moved from the foot of the bed to a chair.

Kinda like UFOs, Bigfoot and aliens I think theres lots of things we do not know. Now ask me about my Bigfoot experience.  :D

Ben Hong

I have more but this one is short and sweet.

Back in my village days, my great uncle, my grandfather's brother, loved a dram or five or 10 of the house best (our family had a commercial distillery) every night for a night cap with his cronies. Liquor was never drunk out of a glass in our family, but out of a large soup bowl. My great uncle's bowl was always kept on the top shelf of a cabinet, and nobody, not even my great aunt was allowed to touch it. The top of the cabinet had a fancy fence around it so nothing could slide off. One day the old man left for an overnight business trip. At about 9:30 in the evening, his liquor bowl crashed to the floor and smashed to smithereens, waking everyone up. The next day, a courier came by with a telegram saying that the old fellow fell off a stair case after drinking with his associates. He died after hitting his head on the concrete floor, the time of death was 9:30 PM.

Virgil Kane

I refuse to think of my mother as a ghost but her presence was somehow there with both of us.

A "ghost" doesn't have to be a bad thing. My belief is that there are spirits (what you are calling a ghost) both good and evil. Your Mother would never hurt you or your daughter but was there to comfort the two of you. These good spirits are IMHO totally opposite of evil but none the less a spirit. You don't have to see something and have the begeezes scared out of you to say "now that was a ghost!" It can be as subtle as a feeling that someone or thing has guided you in the right direction or in your case comforted both of you.

Virgil

northern_hunting_mom

My brother had a sweet cat he rescued. The cat, Floyd, was affectionate but not annoying. I often slept on my brother's couch and the worst that Floyd did was curl up at my feet.

At about 2AM in -40 weather, Floyd jumped on my chest and started meowing, growling and licking my face. When I woke up, he left me alone. It was really warm in the house, the wood stove was cranking out the heat. The phone rang just then, there was a house fire close by and my brother was a member of the local fire dep't. I yelled to my brother there is a fire just down the road. The cat never acted like that again.

tricker

Only three things stand out..

First was Jagr took off after a shadow that ran just outside of the light of my gma's garage (she is deceased) while we were cutting up deer.  Jagr went from calm to mach 1 instantly and stopped just at the edge of the light when I yelled to him to stop.  Looked the next morning no tracks anywhere, nothing.  About as tall as a deer but just a black shadow booking it along.  Dad never saw what i saw but knew I was visibly shaken when i took the SUV 40 yards to get more water so i'd have light.

2nd was all in the same night.  Randomly the end table next to the bed jumped about 12in and everything on the end table fell towards the center and jagr had his collar attached on the top drawer and just sitting there.  Didn't freak out, bark, yelp nothing.  Just a look of confusion and wanting help from me.  Abby's friend and her kid saw glowing eyes in the top of the room, she went to get her husband (felt a cold breeze go past her) and it was gone.  Abby's other friend's sister was found passed out in the basement, parents took her to the hospital and she was pregnant and having a kid.  Never knew.  Only connection is that all three women had items from the deceased grandma of the pregnant woman.

3rd was before i knew my fiancee.  She lived by herself at the time and out of nowhere her radio downstairs starts blasting at max her favorite song in the middle of the night.  So she wakes up and walks downstairs and sees her front door wide open.  She freaks out, looks around quick, locks up shop and goes to her mom's house.  Nothing taken, no reason for the door to open and no reason the radio popped on.

So do i believe in something else than this plane of existence?  Yup

northern_hunting_mom

Grandma's house in Dawson had a toilet in the laundry room but it had a crack in it and the constant trickle leak froze up the sewer pipes even with heat tape on the sewer pipes. The toilet was removed and never replaced but the plumbing was still there for it.

Late one night (I was probably on UJ at the time), with all three dogs and the cat in the bedroom with me, the water pump kicked in. It should not kick in with everyone asleep but me and I certainly wasn't running any water. The kids were asleep, Loren was asleep and I could hear Grandma snoring in her bed. The valve for the toilet in the laundry room had been opened all the way, water spraying all over the wall. I shut off the valve and cleaned up the water at 3AM. It wasn't broken, just the valve had been opened all the way.

The house fire was two weeks later.

MUSTANGER7
Not a ghost experience, but back in 67 my wife and I were visiting my aunt near Baltimore and my aunt had gotten into seance's so she took us to a small church in Baltimore for a seance gathering. The lady who was putting this thing on told us to just think about someone in the "beyond" so seriously trying to have an open mind I started to think about one of my Marines who died while I was holding him. This was a very unnerving experience for me, I was a young 21 yr old Sgt in a platoon leaders billet so it had been my decision that had brought about his death. After calling on a few others the church she pointed to me and asked me to stand up, she then looked at me very intently and then told me that " Mike did not blame me and that he was ok"  that made my knees weak since his name was Mike Bianchinni and I had blamed myself. I had not said a word to my wife, aunt, uncle or anyone about what I was thinking. Just to big of odds she could have guessed his name and the circumstances that were so fitting. As a side note we will be going to see the traveling Vietnam Wall Memorial this weekend and I always have a few words for Mike and the others I know that are listed on the memorial.  Semper Fi

gundogpa

I don't believe in ghosts. Afterlife. Reincarnation. When you go you go and life goes on without you.

I believe in alien life.....just don't know if it's been here yet or not. With the size of the universe there has to be, how pompous would we be to think we are it.

I believe in bigfoot.....not because there is evidence but because I think you need something to believe in that might not be true.....I choose bigfoot for that.

Ben Hong
I believe in alien life.....just don't know if it's been here yet or not. With the size of the universe there has to be, how pompous would we be to think we are it.

I agree. Knowing something about statistics and the theory of probability my own cynicism gets completely overwhelmed at times. Most times it gives me insomnia just trying to count the zeroes in the numbers and the significance of those numbers.

Our galaxy, the Milky Way, may have  500-750 trillion stars in it, now assume that only one trillionth of the stars have conditions right to engender planets, then assume that only an infinitesimal number of those planets have the right conditions to allow life to form...that's only for one average sized galaxy. There are trillions upon trillions upon trillions of galaxies out there, a few may even have the right conditions to have stars in them to have orbiting planets, these planets may have among their countless numbers a few with conditions just right to allow life to form...

We are not alone, nor are we the only chosen ones. I for one, am not arrogant enough to say that we are.

Greg Hartman
I don't believe in ghosts. Afterlife. Reincarnation. When you go you go and life goes on without you.

I believe in bigfoot.....not because there is evidence but because I think you need something to believe in that might not be true.....I choose bigfoot for that.

X2 - well, except for the bigfoot stuff.

trust me
... With the size of the universe there has to be, how pompous would we be to think we are it.

I share this sentiment, but now the scientists can peer far into the galaxy, and haven't found a single star/planet combination that would be suitable for life as we know it.

I still agree that it requires pomposity and arrogance to say we're "it."

MUSTANGER7
Here's a thought on the trillions of stars etc sort of thing. A long, long time ago I took an astronomy coarse, the professor mentioned that everything is made up of atoms and in the tip of his finger there were millions of atoms as is the rest of the universe. His comment then was how do we know that in the tip of our finger there are not other civilizations or that we are just part of a larger being???????????????? just thinking