REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GB Jack

Ghosts, what is the deal

WyomingArt

I really don't want to believe in ghosts, and I prefer  quantitative data to subjective tales BUT

our family farm house has more than one " presence"

The house was built by my great , great grandfather, and  saw the births and / or deaths of 5 generations.

I never felt anything negative or threatening, but felt the "presence" there of several family members who were born there, lived there or died there. The most recent was my father (B 1914 -D 2013.) Sensing his " presence" was benign and not negative.

"Presence" is not a particularly good word for the experience, but I'm guessing those who have felt it will identify. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

gonehuntin
Art, I would say the same thing. The mere fact that there was a presence was frightening, but the spirits themselves never hurt or threatened anyone. The unknown is always frightening to us.

SODAKer

As a child I went upstairs to the attic of my grandparents house to play, ~1970. At the top of the stairs was a man in a black suite. My dog whimpered, tucked tail and ran downstairs. My grandparents, dad and relatives called for me. I was frozen. They came upstairs, I finally told them what I saw and the attic was checked out, nothing there. My father said, "the same man that was there when he and Nip (his farm dog) went to the attic when he was around 6-7, around 1944/45.

I remember distinctly, my father would never go up to that attic alone at any time when we would visit. His accounting has never changed one iota from the first time I heard of the account which is now going on 45+ years.

Yeah, I believe. There are some hollows I won't hunt anymore because of strange presence.

tripreed

I really liked reading this thread, and since it's getting closer to Halloween, I thought I would revive it in case anyone else has any other stories. I also thought I would add one of my own, or rather, one that happened to a friend of mine.

When I was in college, I did an internship at the County, along with another guy who was in college. Our supervisor, Dusty, was a few years older than us, and he told us this story that happened to him and a group of his friends. I still remember the hair on my arms standing up/my eyes watering (not tears, just some other weird physiological reaction) while he told us this story, in an office building, in the middle of an afternoon. Having remained friends with him for 10+ years, I have no reason to doubt his sincerity.

Back when he was in college, the parents of his girlfriend (who is now his wife) had a trailer down near the beach in Destin. One weekend, he and three of his friends decided to go down there for a guy's weekend. The trailer was a little off the beaten path, and did have a few other trailers and dumpy houses around it. On the right side of the trailer was a kitchen, and on the opposite end was a master bedroom. Off the back of the trailer, right by the master bedroom, someone had added an extra bedroom. Since it was an addition, the door to the bedroom could be tough to open, and you usually had to put your shoulder into it. This bedroom also had a door that opened to the exterior.

So the guys got down there on a Friday evening, and pretty soon after arriving, they decided to turn in for bed. They were all going to sleep in the extra bedroom, which had two double beds, but one guy, Michael, insisted that it would be "gay" to share a bed, so he decided to sleep in the master by himself. With that concluded, they all went to bed.

Saturday came around and while I'm not sure what they did during the day, it eventually came time to go bed again. This night, Michael had changed his mind and decided to sleep with the rest of the guys in the back bedroom. They eventually settled in and in doing so, shut the door from the addition to the rest of the trailer. I'm not sure how long it was, but at some point, the door to the back bedroom flew open with a bang. My friend Dusty, who was sleeping closest to the door, instinctively reached up and slammed the door shut. Around the same time, they started to hear banging coming from the door in the bedroom that led outside. Everyone jumped out of bed, turned on the lights, and opened the exterior door, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. They then went back into the main part of the trailer, searched around, but didn't see anything. The front door, and all of the windows were shut and locked from the inside. They checked around the outside of the trailer, but didn't see anything.

Once they eventually calmed back down, Michael said, "OK, I have to tell you what happened to me last night in the bedroom." At some point Friday night, he heard knocking or banging on the door from the master bedroom to the rest of the trailer. He was like "Haha, very funny guys," and got up and opened the door, but no one was there. He eventually laid down again, when suddenly, he heard banging coming from inside the closet door in the master bedroom. At that point, he told them, he turned on all of the lights in the bedroom and read his Bible until morning.

Once he finished telling this story, around 2:00 AM, all of the guys were freaked out, and, agreeing that none of them were likely to go back to sleep, they decided to just clean things up and head back to Birmingham.

They eventually got everything packed up, cut off the power and water to the trailer, and were getting ready to go. At that point, Dusty remembered that he'd forgotten to leave the refrigerator door open (so that it wouldn't get mildewy inside). He didn't really want to go back inside by himself, but Michael eventually said "Fine, I'll go with you." So Dusty went in the front door, turned right to go in the kitchen. He looked back at Michael, who had his head in the door, and sees that he's looking off to the left, inside the trailer. Dusty asked him "What are you looking at?" and Michael said "I'll tell you in a minute." Dusty got the fridge set, and they went and got back in the car. Finally, Dusty asked him "What were you looking at?" He replied "There was an old woman sitting the recliner."

As a follow-up, once they got back home Dusty told his girlfriend everything that happened. That caused her to remember a story from her childhood, when she was staying  at the trailer with her parents. One night she woke them up and when they asked her what was wrong, she said "The old woman won't leave me alone."

Hope you enjoyed.

Blackhawk

I'm late to this topic. Just saw the last post so I read through them all. I'm a total skeptic with two experiences I can't explain or dismiss. The first occurred in Vermont. We had moved to Northwest Vt for a job opportunity. We'd rented a nice house just outside of Enosburg. First night there, about 2AM both my Wife and I wake up hearing a series of very loud crash/bang sounds. The bed rooms were up stairs, the noise down stairs. Our dogs at that time, a Boarder collie who was very old, about 14 and our Springer, were standing at the top of the stairs but hadn't gone down. Once when I was a kid at home a cupboard had fallen off the wall in the kitchen and made a crashing sound like what we heard. Banging pots, breaking glass, etc. I thought that's what happened. Down I went expecting a big mess. Nothing to be found, all was fine. Looked in the cellar, no obvious mess or explanation there either.

Next night same thing happened. Crash, bang. Nothing to be found. A few days later a man that lived down the road asked how we liked our "guests". He told me a story of how others who had lived in that house had odd experiences over the years. Nothing ever went bump in the night again while we were there. The old boarder collie wouldn't go into the kitchen. He'd stand in the door way an stare for hours at times into the room though. Other things did occur but it's stuff you could mostly brush off as happening for other reasons. Door handles jiggling, appliances being turned on or off that you were sure should have been the other way. These type things happened way more often than you'd expect as normal off beat happenings. No other big crashes though. I guess we passed inspection. I'll leave it at that and not go into the other occurrence.

I'm still a skeptic, but I can't discount what I've experienced or explain it away either. I don't think others can really grasp it either and those who say they can are selling something or deluded. I don't think such things are any danger or problem. Kind of interesting but a bit to different to really get a good understanding of it. So I can't discount what others say about such stuff. Some of it really happens and is hard to explain.

max2

To the O/P

as long as they are like Casper I am sure I could deal with them  :)

PartridgeCartridge

A thought just occurred to me...

I suspect the reason no one has ever physically caught a Bigfoot or a UFO, for that matter, is that it is the Bigfoots that are flying the UFO's.

john mcg

What occurs to me is to ask the question...

If there are ghosts, by what mechanism?

trust me

Arthur C. Clarke said something to the effect that if something is advanced enough to not be understood, then it qualifies as supernatural. I have no doubt there is much we still don't understand, and much of which we are not even aware.

john mcg

Arthur C. Clarke said something to the effect that if something is advanced enough to not be understood, then it qualifies as supernatural. I have no doubt there is much we still don't understand, and much of which we are not even aware.

There are the eyes that by design facilitate light and shadow and then there are the eyes that see what can't be seen--in those spaces between the light and shadow.

PartridgeCartridge

Something I've always wondered about ghosts...

Shouldn't they all be naked? I mean, if it is their spirit that survives, do their clothes also make the transition? I wouldn't think so.

Wyo

You know, most Walmarts are haunted. Go to any Walmart from Casper Wyoming to Fort Myers, Florida and you'll see the same 400 pounders shopping in their pajama bottoms.

Kind of a "parallel" universe

Ben Hong
You know, most Walmarts are haunted. Go to any Walmart from Casper Wyoming to Fort Myers, Florida and you'll see the same 400 pounders shopping in their pajama bottoms.

Kind of a "parallel" universe

Please, I am trying to eat breakfast...

Bob Blair

I think everyone bases their belief system on their experiences to a certain extent. My experiences tell me that there is a supreme being who was able to master the complex biochemistry necessary to allow humans to sense things that are otherwise not apparent. Like the wind, I can feel His presence and see the results of His work in the eyes of an eager dog, the magnificent night sky, the majesty of the Ozark mountains and oak/hickory forests where I live and hunt and fish. My scientific brain tells me that these are no mere happenstances. They are extremely complex chemical, physical and biological formulae, always adaptable, that are the product of a greater intellect than I can imagine existing on earth.

Yes, there are many things that I cannot explain. Like someone has said, I have experienced life force leaving the dying body of both humans and animals. I have seen that same life force fading in the eyes of a dying patient and I am not able to adequately describe exactly what it was that I witnessed. My theory is that there is a change in both the biochemistry of both the living and the dying that one can sense with as yet undescribed biological mechanisms designed, of course, by that same higher being. I believe there is probably a change in the number or quality of molecules in the expiration of the dying that the living can register.

I lived in a house built in the 1850's for four years that was said to be haunted. It was on the Old Post Quadrangle at Fort Sill, Oklahoma and it was built by the Buffalo soldiers of the 7th Cavalry. According to books written about the houses there, we were supposed to be the home of two ghosts. One was a cavalry officer who was said to appear in full 19th century uniform sitting in front of the fireplace on winter mornings and the other was said to be the ghost of a baby who had died in the house. When the short grass prairie wind would really kick in it would howl around the eaves and, if you really used your imagination, it could sound like a baby crying......maybe. It was a stretch and I was never introduced to the good Colonel.

In Vietnam I spent several long nights sitting on ambush in local cemeteries. We were able to successfully make some of the living VC turn in to the unliving on occasion but there was nary one spook that appeared to any of us on any of those nights. It was easy to imagine things while sitting there in the dark and in silence all night but the things I imagined always had rifles and RPGs. However, I do believe very strongly that I felt the presence of a guardian angel many times during my time in the boonies and many times since.

All the angels that I have actually seen and touched where some variety of blonde!

steveziv

I've been "creeped out" by places and even had a mild experience (below) and yet I do not believe.  The human brain, and the thousands of years of evolution that have influenced it, are complicated things.  I've heard near death experiences explained away pretty convincingly by doctors.  And physicist have fourth dimension theories that could explain the supernatural.  I'm skeptical of bigfoot because no dead ones have turned up ever as far as I know.  UFO's seem the most plausible, likely even, and I could easily imagine The Government(s) covering up their existence.

My experience.  I was showering in an old house we lived in (that was said to be haunted) and heard the sound of children playing, like a schoolyard.  That's weird, so weird I got out of the shower and scanned the woods and nearby park, all empty.  I figured the showerhead must have been making a peculiar noise that day.