bigjohnsd

Tom Brady takes a hit, legacy not the same,

bobman
Its a shame someone that good feels he has to cheat

ScottGrush

I doubt this will change anything.

No proof of guilt.

Tcaddis
If the air pin doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Brad Eden

Nice Link dump.

Blablablablablablabladiddlyblah

gundogpa

The interesting thing will be to see what kind of punishment they give this cheater.

Outside of his fans who would love him no matter what he did......this will cause damage to his legacy. It is still amazing that for a team and person who doesn't even need to cheat.....to win.....why would you risk it? Strange.

redrockin7

I'm not a Patriots or Brady fan, but with that said, that report could not be any more wishy-washy and circumstantial. It appears the primary "evidence" is based on some text messages between low-level equipment assistants, once ball boys, talking about a "big needle" which could be used to deflate balls, yes, but who knows to what level they were asked to be deflated, etc. Maybe he asked for them a little softer b/c these equipment assistant idiots were over-inflating the balls (which their texts even allude to). Let me set it up this way for you - and if you read the text messages this would be 100% plausible explanation for those texts.

Brady notices balls pretty hard and/or even over-inflated at practice. Maybe like a "watermelon" or "rugby ball" or "balloon" the guys mention in their texts (at least some, if not all of those terms were used, though I am going from memory). Tom asks the guys to deflate them to "a more normal level" or maybe he even asked them to "deflate them to the minimum level permitted per the rules". We don't know for sure what was requested, do we?! Tom probably gives them some attitude or maybe even calls them a name or incompetent. Example// "How many years have you numbskulls been inflating balls, I know one of you has been around about 13 years. Why are they now hard as a rock lately?! Get with it you pansies..." Anyway, these two once ball boys, now pissed off, also jealous of a successful, multi-millionaire, multi-time SB champ while they are stuck as assistant equipment managers, start their text message banter about "f*#(&$(*^& Tom". They chat about purposefully over-inflate balls just to piss off Tom, just to make it tougher on him during the game, etc. To me, it sounds they hated him as much as anything, and weren't necessarily going to oblige him by deflating balls. Ultimately maybe they did. It might even be "probable" that they did before the Colts game (not that it would have mattered), but to me, executing the guy based on some text messages, from a couple equipment assistants, which are actually as much about over-inflating them on purpose, doesn't to me prove that Tom Brady asked them to deflate the balls below league minimum PSI's.

I would say it's nearly 100% probable he mentioned it to them in some sense or asked them to deflate the balls a bit, but maybe that was from an over-inflated level to begin with, or maybe he was even specific and wanted them at league minimum. Either way, there is nothing definitive that he asked them to be deflated beyond legal levels.

Also, here's a conspiracy theory for you. Who's to say, based on the apparent hatred of these guys for "f*&$^$ Tom" that they didn't deflate them, on purpose, below minimum before Colts game, hoping Tom would get caught and take the fall for it? Isn't it possible, maybe even "probable" depending on your view of text messages and their hate for Tom Brady?

redrockin7
In summary, the report is wishy-washy, circumstancial, and emotional on some level. It's based on assumptions of what happened (kind of like my very possible situation above), with no proof of what actually happened.

Tcaddis
You might have a case, but the refs checked the balls and they were correct before ball boy took a bathroom break.

Dogwood
Time to summon the Grand Jury.

Deuce
In summary, the report is wishy-washy, circumstancial, and emotional on some level. It's based on assumptions of what happened (kind of like my very possible situation above), with no proof of what actually happened.

I agree with you completely. Very good analysis.

RuffChaser
I smell some sort of Congressional inquiry coming. Probably initiated by someone that hates the Patriots which narrows it down to just about everyone not living in the NE part of the US. I am thankful MN has Sunday hunting so I don't waste my weekend on this idiotic stuff.

Kemo Sabe

I'm sorry, but this whole thing just isn't that big of a deal. What's it wrong, sure. But my God, it sure was anything to make this big of a deal about.

I mean, c'mon, compared to the numerous domestic violence issues the NFL has had this is basically a drop in the bucket.

The press has taken this and made it into a far bigger thing that it really is. And then, the press gets pissed off when players won't talk to them, when they are all snakes in the grass, looking for the slightest thing to bury one of them on.

bigjohnsd

Quote from NYT

A few hours before a typical game, the report says, Brady would choose from among the balls prepared by Jastremski. The dozen or so game balls he picked would go in one bag, and another dozen backup balls would go in another bag.

McNally would deliver the bags to the officials’ locker room for pregame inspection. Then, shortly before kickoff, he would carry the game balls for both teams onto the field — though not without either receiving permission by game officials or being accompanied onto the field by game officials.

All this was done leading up to the night of the A.F.C. championship game. In the officials’ locker room, Anderson, the crew chief, tested the game balls for both teams with a pressure gauge. He then marked the footballs with a paint pen, writing “WA” above the words “THE DUKE,” which appears to the left of the N.F.L. logo.

At some point, McNally came in to say: Remember, Walt, Tom likes them at 12.5.

The balls were packed into bags and left in the locker room, which had so many people milling about that one official said it felt “like Grand Central Station.” Anderson had other pregame duties that took him out of the locker room, including a meeting with a broadcasting team and a walk-through of the field.

When it came time for Anderson and a few other officials to go onto the field to begin the game, they could not find the bags of balls. Panic and at least one expletive followed.

What Anderson and the other officials did not realize was that at about 6:30, about 20 minutes before kickoff, McNally had taken the two bags of balls, walked down a tunnel leading to the field, entered a single-toilet bathroom and locked the door — all while being recorded by security cameras.

Less than two minutes later, McNally and the bags of balls emerged from the bathroom. He continued onto the field with his precious, pressurized cargo, a longtime anonymous gofer, unaware of the notoriety that awaited him.

MilRob
Who freaking cares.....Seriously a 243 page report on the inflation of a football that had zero difference in the outcome of the game.  All that money wasted by the NFL paying this company to do the report when they could have used that money for something beneficial...Top news story on multiple sights...All the issues in the country and lets latch onto the inflation of a ball....Craziness...Glad I dont have cable anymore and rarely watch TV...