Sign in to follow this  
Coalman

Bugs and Bass 2015

Coalman

Bugs and Bass 2015

06-08-15

Who's idea was it anyway to end the Maine spring gobbler season on 06-06-15? Don't they know there are striped bass to catch and lobsters to trap? Gonna have to talk to that guy.

Well it wouldn't do any good though because I am not ready. Yesterday was the first morning I have slept in on a weekend since the NH Youth Turkey Hunt in April. Not complaining, just been too tired to start a boat project when I was having so much fun in the woods.

It has been five season since I had the bottom painted on the USS Coalman. When inspecting the hull before putting it up last winter there were some spots showing barnacle accumulation.

So last week she went up on stands.

Setting%20boat%20on%20blocks.jpg

Saturday I left Maine turkey camp and was home by 0900. My first stop was to see if there were any herring in the river. I need lobster bait.

The river was full of blue backs. As the picture goes from light to dark is because where it was dark the herring were sideways.

Alewives%20in%20river.jpg

I shot home, grabbed my gear and it didn't take long to get a few buckets.

Alewives.jpg

I salted these down.

Next it was off to the boat yard to pressure wash the hull.

I think I was asleep before my head touched the pillow.

06-07-15

Got to the boatyard after lunch. Sanded the hull lightly by hand then got down to the business of bottom painting on two coats.

Bottom painting a boat sucks either you are on your knees or laying on your back. But after the fresh two coats were applied there was that sense of accomplishment.

It would be easier to just pay somebody for the feeling.

Dan is going to service the Yamaha this week and I should be OTW this weekend.

06-08-15

We are allowed to net herring only on Saturday's and Monday's and they limit us to one tote or approx. 20 gallons. Was back at the bridge this morning at 0430 and by 0540 I had filled a few buckets before the tide came up and the herring dropped back into the river.

I have enough lobster bait now to last through September.

Next job......tune lobster traps.

It's never ending. LOL!   :)

Coalman

06-10-15

Got the boat back on the trailer last night. Then I went and picked up ten lobster traps in the barn that are now in the driveway for tuning and new tags.

The boat gets its service tonight. I’m going down and watch because this four stroke fuel injected engine ain’t no two stroke carburetor, block and starter. Need a college education to work on the thing.

Put two new rollers on the trailer. We are going to do a little adjusting when the boat gets off.

The turkey hunting drive is fast fading with this warm weather and I have a different outlook now every time I see the Squamscott River. It was boiling with something on my drive by this morning.

The salt is now calling me. 

I’ll be painting the cuddy and floor this summer after she splashes. Already got the paint. Too much stuff falling from the trees now.

She may be a little scratched up for a 1972 but it’s what is under the hood that really counts. She’s “Like a Rock” !

USS%20Coalman%20%201%2006-10-15.jpg

USS%20Coalman%2006-10-15.jpg

Dogwood
Way cool!  How I would dearly love to lobster with a similar rig, let alone the striper fishing.

GraceinVA
Would love to see some pics of lobsters or stripers once you get going

MTRookie76
This is one of the best reoccurring threads on UJ. Thanks for taking the time to do it. The boat looks great and good luck this season!

Coalman

Thank you all for your kind words.

06-11-15

My lobster trap tuning bench. I'm a four foot double parlor guy. They out fish three foot traps in my home water. I run single traps so the weight is no issue with my pot hauler.

Each year I replace the biodegradable hog rings on the escape vent. This is required by law so if the trap is lost the rings rot away and the lobsters eventually can escape.

You want to make sure the shrimp mesh is tight where the lobsters enter the kitchen. Also that the bungee straps holding the cover down are not rotted and in need of replacement.

Just as in fur trapping a finely tuned trap catches more critters.

IMG_1558.jpg

Took this picture in the backyard at sunset. Reminded me of a lobster claw. Good timing.

IMG_1560.jpg

06-13-15

Here are this years bug catchers. Repainted the red on all the buoys.

IMG_1563.jpg

My son met me at the boat yard at noon and at high tide we launched the boat. We took a shakedown cruise six miles out to Fox Point. The only casualty was a sunburn on my unprotect head.

06-14-15

Drowned ten traps on an outgoing tide. The bug part is now complete. Now it is time to tune the striper fishing equipment to finish the bass part.

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

I love playing in NH's inland sea, the Great Bay. That is a barge on anchor. Probably for putting in peoples docks.

IMG_1567.jpg

Dogwood
Interesting water color; is it brackish?

Coalman

Five freshwater rivers feed the Great Bay. They are called the fingers.

When we get a lot of rain the lobsters don't favor the loss of salinity and start moving back out to the ocean.

We haven't had much rain this spring so the Great Bay's water is a match to the mighty Atlantic Ocean in salinity and clarity. It flushes itself two times a day with the turning tides.

Best conditions for bug trapping.

Dogwood
Sounds like a smaller version of the Chesapeake.

Coalman

06-20-15

A Day in the Life of a Great Bay Lobster

820keepers2006-20-15.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

Shawn kept the skunk away with our only boated linesider of the morning.

IMG_1569.jpg

Coalman

06-23-15

Why are the pine trees dying along the Great Bay Wildlife Refuge at Adam's Point?

That is the question I posed to NH F&G. Hope they get a tree person involved. It is even worse at Nannies Island.

Dead%20pine%20trees%20at%20Adams%20Point

Dead%20pine%20trees%20at%20Adams%20Point

Coalman

06-26-15

Just like Cracker Jacks the traps were full of surprises today.

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

Caught a couple blonde, very fine looking, nautical females girlfriends on my check today. I have a trap set in a hole near a moored boat. I've never seen the owners until this evening. After I pulled the trap one of the ladies asked me if I could set my trap a little further from their boat as a couple times last summer the buoy was up against their boat. I could have been an ****** as some lobstermen are but instead I killed them with kindness.

I could see the parlor had a couple nice size lobsters. So I apologized for my buoys errant ways and asked them to set it straight by giving them a couple fresh out of the trap lobsters. I was first met with resistance but those bugs have a way of charming people.

Glad to say the trap is now back fishing in its original position and I have two new girlfriends with happy tummies with instructions if they see the buoy close to the boat just grab it and drag the trap away.

They gave me two thumbs up as I left to pull another Christmas present.

Dogwood

Curious do you need to buy a license to lobster?

Maybe some beetle killing the trees?  Shoreline would not be the same without those evergreens!

Coalman

NH F&G got back to me with the reasoning below.

My name is Cory Riley and I work for NH Fish and Game. Your inquiry about dying pine trees around the refuge was forwarded on to me, and I will offer you one possible reason.

The screen shot below represents the results for some modeling that NGFG has recently done to determine how habitats might change under different climate and sea level rise scenarios. As you see in the graphic below, the areas that you noticed the change in are some of the places that we would expect a shift toward more tidally adapted species in the future.  There may be reasons other than sea level rise for the changes, they could have received more tidal influence due to big storms or erosion in that location.

I hope this is helpful, and you can access these maps and more at the website below (or Google NH Coastal Viewer and click on the SLAMM model).

Thank you and have a great day.

Cory

Tidal%20mitigation.jpg

Yes I do need a license to lobster and crab trap. NH offers three levels

Recreation 5 traps

Limited Commercial up to 100 traps

Commercial up to 600 traps

Each has their own price level. I am limited commercial.

Lobster trapping isn't something you can just stop in at F&G get a license then set traps that afternoon. NH requires us to buy tags for each traps. They look like a seal game agencies use to tag deer and turkey with. Each has my license # and year.

It takes thirty + days to get these seals from a third party provider so I usually start in March getting my license prep ready.

This year I'm fishing 10 traps down from 15 the past few years. Mostly to satisfy friends, landowners and my love of a lobster tails.

In my heyday with a growing family I've run 50 + traps to supplement my outdoor income meaning buying licenses, ammo, fuel, etc.

My wife and I are now empty nesters and I want to spend more time this summer with my dogs hence just ten traps.

Thanks for asking!

atticus

I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy following this thread.  The past several years too.  The lobster trapping seems like a very cool hobby--even for a guy who doesn't eat lobster!

Keep the updates coming!