Sign in to follow this  
shinbone

Pad treatments to toughen up the dog's foot?

shinbone

Now that hunting season is getting close, I am starting to think about ways to minimize wearing out my dog's pads.

Obviously, exercise on the proper ground surfaces is the first line of defense.  But, to speed-up or enhance the process does anyone have any experience with pad applications to toughen the pad?  In particular, does anyone have any experience with the following products:

Tuf-Foot  (  http://tuffoot.com/about/dog-paw-care )

Cut-Heal's Pad Heal  ( http://www.cut-heal.com/C_pad_heal.htm  )

National Scent Co.'s Blue Foot (  http://www.nationalscentcompany.com/products.html  )

Happy Jack's Pad Kote  (  http://happyjackinc.com/product/pad-kote/  )

TIA

Becassier

Starting about a month before a road trip I start applying Tuf-Foot once a day to all my dogs.

I pour an ounce or two in a small separate container and apply it with an applicator similar to the ones below.

applicator_zpsqgblozln.jpg

Spin

It is a very common misconception that a well conditioned canine foot should be tough and leathery, Not

so!

A well conditioned dogs foot has smooth, soft and flexible pads. This serves the dog much better, much less apt to get sore, crack or split. Try Udder Balm applied twice daily. Another good application is bee wax based lip balm.

Think I'm kidding? Talk to a few Vets. Maybe one or two on the list would care to reply.

bobman
we use Tuff foot on our dogs and horses, works well IMO

Ray Gubernat

Tuff foot, if used too frequently has a tendency to make the dog's pads stiff and hard.  When they crack...and they will, the dog is out of commission. Same with Pad Kote.  They contain resins which dry and harden.

I used to do an application of Tuff Foot at the start of the season and it seemed to help. I think it protected the dogs' feet while they were first getting into shape.

I found that repeated applications did more harm than good.  

Stronger tincture of iodine(horses) and things like that can toughen pads, but it is messy and if applied directly can actually cause a burn if it is a high enough strength.  What these kinds of things actually do is kill tissue very slowly,  causing it to thicken, essentially making a callus.  

Blue foot will probably help a bit, like the iodine, but again...it is messy.  

If the pad is damaged or worn down, about the only thing I know to help keep the dog in the game is Hawthorne Sole Pack(for horses).  It contains Iodine, Pine tar and Potassium Iodide.  It is also a mess until it dries, but it acts like a flexible bandage. The Iodine keeps the injury bacteria free while it does a slow, steady chemical burn on the tissue, causing it to fill in and thicken.

Years back I surrounded my kennel with 3/4" river stone and used the  river stone for a walkway to my back deck and  in several other areas  where grass wouldn't grow anyway.  The dogs run on the stones and their feet get pretty tough and resilient.  

Udder balm and similar preparations should help to keep the pads flexible while they are being toughened up.  

The one thing we cannot control is how hard the dog's feet hit the ground.  Some dogs seem to float over the ground and others sound like a herd of stampeding cattle just went by.  A dog whose feet hit the ground hard will tear up their pads...pretty much no matter what you do unless you boot the dog.

I had a dog like that.  I would put a few turns of 4" Vetwrap on each foot and taped over the Vetwrap with a good quality duct tape.  The dog would run with the homemade booties on for about a half to 3/4 of an hour before he wore them through.  By that time he had slowed down, just enough to not beat the dickens out of his feet, so he was good for 2-3 hours...unless the terrain was rocky or very sandy.

RayG

Yawallac
I grew up in the country and after every school year I would shed the shoes and go barefoot all summer. The first two weeks were brutal! But over time my feet became hardened and I could run over rocks, sticks and anything in my way! I do the same with my dogs, let them slip pads and make them run. My dogs can run on anything!

evcvet
I agree with the last post.  I have never seen a product that helped prevent footpad/digital pad lacerations and cracks.  The best solution is conditioning by exposure to rough ground.

bobman
that works if you live somewhere there is rough footing, I live in piney woods and its soft on feet so they can't toughen up for out west

Steelheadfred
I agree with the last post.  I have never seen a product that helped prevent footpad/digital pad lacerations and cracks.  The best solution is conditioning by exposure to rough ground.

and good conformation to boot.

that said, if you travel from the great lakes or south east with our humidity out to Arizona, your results may vary I'd imagine even with strong pads and good foot conformation.

shinbone

Out of the 4 products in my original post, Tuf-Foot seems to get the best reviews here and also on Amazon, so I will give it a try.  I am not expecting miracles, but just something to help out the pad conditioning that I already do.

Also, for those wanting to order some on the internet, searching on "wool dauber" should turn-up lots of options like the applicators posted by Becassier.  I ordered a pack of 100 on Amazon.

Thanks for everyone's input.

UglyD
Have to agree with Ray-  I have a plodder and a prancer- that plodder no matter how much conditioning he gets will have problems with his pads because of the way they hit the ground- That prancer just glides and never has a problem.  I used tuff foot for awhile- don't use it anymore- I do use some softener on the ones pad but when we chukar hunt he wears boots.

bobman
IMO the tuff foot works well to start the toughening process but don't overdo it ....three or four days consecutively then let nature take over

dogrunner
Concrete kennels work great.