Sign in to follow this  
Jazz4Brazo

Fausti stress crack?

Jazz4Brazo

Noticed what appears to be a stress crack/flaking occur g at the face of stock...not sure what I should do next...simple crazy glue fix, acraglass, something else???

Fauti%20crack%20UJ.jpg

Fausti DEA round body 16 ga, 28" tubes...rarely shoot anything but 2 1/2 inch spreaders...soft shooters so not sure why this is happening on a gun but new a number of years ago...gun is not shot to hell and we'll kept with low mileage :-(

I doubt Fausti would offer warrant fix but not sure on that either so open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Pierre

Crazy Horse
It's worth a call to Fausti. I had a problem with my new Fausti 28 DEA. They fixed the problem with no charge andf a very timely return. If I were you I'd give them a call.

bigjohnsd
Pierre, call Fausti USA, if they won't fix it, I think I could stabilize the area using real thin super glue. Would probably need to refinish once stabilized, but possibly not.  I've fixed several Beretta stocks using similar process and was able to touch up and polish out the finish satisfactorily.

Jazz4Brazo

Thanks...will try Fausti tomorrow and see what they say. Curious, any ideas why it happened? Flaw in wood/grain? Can't believe it was due to normal use as I have never shot hot loads through it.

Pierre

Gunflint Charlie

Don't know if this could be it with your Fausti, but the SKB SxSs with scalloped frame and throughbolt are known to crack at the stock head if the throughbolt isn't kept securely tight. This can happen even with no noticeable play between stock head and frame.

Jay

bigjohnsd
Don't know if this could be it with your Fausti, but the SKB SxSs with scalloped frame and throughbolt are known to crack at the stock head if the throughbolt isn't kept securely tight. This can happen even with no noticeable play between stock head and frame.

Jay

They also are prone to crack if overtightened.  

Snug but not too tight.

Have seen this same issue in other scalloped  receiver guns.

Jazz4Brazo

Talked with Fausti and essentially they blew me off...provided 3 options: 1) replace stock...costly, 2) repair yourself, 3) send off to be fixed (suggested local gunsmith or furniture repair company and never mentioned/offered Fausti as a service option which I found interesting).

They did ask if the stock had ever been worked on (it was bent and a pachmayer SC pad by a highly regarded smith) as when replaced gunsmith often over tighten (should be snug / not loose) which can cause cracking...suggested pulling stock to see extent of crack (length, if runs through back side)...proposed epoxy fix or superglue as options.

Pierre

hoof

I am strictly an amateur so take my advice with that in mind.  I have repaired cracks on the outside of a stock without refinishing by using acraglas.  The liquid acraglas thins out with heat.  I use a heat gun, but I would imagine a hairdryer would do the same thing.  I made a small groove on the back (inside) of the stock, and laid the acraglas in and hit it with the heat gun.  It thinned out and "leeched" into the crack and followed it until it came out the other side of the stock.  Wipe off whatever is on the outside while it is still wet and when it sets up it will be quite strong.

CHAZ

gunut
my merkel stock cracked from the center point of the receiver/stock scallop to the screw merkel tends to put through the stocks head on their single trigger SxSs....I had a pad put on the gun and GSI [importer at the time] said the people that put the pad on did not tighten the stock quite enough when reassembling.....so they would not replace the stock but epoxied the crack from the inside....it has been solid since....let a good stock man have at it.....b4 using it any more.....

bigjohnsd

IMG_20160203_104841378_zpsbhquverq.jpg

Fixed - got it yesterday, lifted chips off, found a second crack, glued all, some with "thin" wicking super glue, others with Gel to fill in some missing flakes. Let sit overnight, Wet sanded glue excess with #800 and mineral spirits for a lubricant.  Rubbed in some dark Tung Oil.  Needs one more coat of Tung Oil before a polish out.

I'm hoping the faint glue line will disappear when it is polished.  May have to use a little pilkingtons stain on the edge.

btomlin
I'd be happier than a pig in sh!t, if that was my stock.  Nice job, John!

Jazz4Brazo

YES...and I am!!

Pierre

troutchops

Fausti_zps1bd86b6e.jpg[/url]

This happened to my father's Fausti a couple years ago out of no where. I sent it in and they put on a new stock with nicer wood in a couple weeks, no cost. He had owned the gun for a few years. Surprised they didn't take more of an interest, they did right by him.

terrym
Probably because it had been bent.

shinbone

Glad to hear it was successfully repaired.

When the original photo posted by the OP is enlarged, it looks like there was already a repair to that spot where a chip of wood was glued back into place.