Sign in to follow this  
Jazz4Brazo

Fausti stress crack?

Jazz4Brazo

Just a few points to clarify....this gun was purchased new with no chips/cracks repaired...likely caused by a loose thru bolt but could be due to poor stock to action fit so will look at that closely on reassembly (new to sxs so this is all a learning curve for me)...John did a great job on repair and looking forward to seeing it in person.

Regarding Fausti...they blew me off well before hearing about stock being bent and new pad put on...they became disinterested when they learnt this was a round body run made specifically for Cabelas. All they wanted to do was talk about new Fausti boutique guns at $15K...that they offered directly and serviced. I get this was not a recent purchase nor a purchase through Fausti USA but really???

Oh well...if I were in the market for new I would be giving serious consideration to CG...love my 20 gauge SC magnum with 30 tubes...but likely will just get a custom pow stock fitted to my dimensions for my 20 ga 686 that has 30 inch tubes as well...hopefully this stock won't give me anymore trouble and not sure what I do if I need to adjust stock fit given this repair.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

J4B

Jazz4Brazo

Reviving an old thread to set a record straight!!

After receiving the repair back from John I waited quite some time before getting the nerve up to shoot the repaired stock @ 5 Stand...

5a49899b3e736_2017-12-3119_53_04.thumb.jpg.0f424fef6c2a48ba0b1cba26d287050d.jpg5a49899c13a3c_2017-12-3119_53_28.thumb.jpg.483b80aed345ff1a44b15353b5c4b74d.jpg

well unfortunately it didn't fare so well as after the 5th shot with normal velocity loads a large chip flew off the stock...looked but couldn't find the chip and gave up but about 30 mins later at break between rounds someone looked down and there it was...

5a49899c76dab_2017-12-3119_54_52.jpg.72195d7a6da0e12149faa4d5683a17a9.jpg

So I called Fausti and this time got Steve Allen and an amazing offer to restock this gun for a nominal fee...here is the utcome nd I couldn't be happier with Fausti USA, Fausti Italia and the outcome!!!

5a498998e8688_2017-12-3119_38_59.thumb.jpg.bfca9b1877500b347d766600d56026a3.jpg5a498999aef2c_2017-12-3119_39_43.thumb.jpg.dd531281962c2c6a38ad9e9ab59a6ce4.jpg5a49899a74ede_2017-12-3119_40_26.thumb.jpg.ffaa4e88853c69c6c0874da2eebf76ef.jpg

Sorry for the poor pics but curious on your thoughts on this new wood vs what was on it beforehand?

Oh and Happy New Year everyone!!!

J4B

quailguy

Happy New Year, Pierre!

For a "nominal fee" I'd be very happy with that job. 

gunut

looks good....almost like a new gun.....

Irishwhistler

Pierre,

Glad it all worked out for ye.  Nice firearm.👍

Mike🍀

tut

My 2 cents and worth exactly that, is while its got wonderful figure, the flow in the grip is less then what I'd want in a straight grip gun.  All the stress from firing and a potential fall is going to take place right in the wrist area because that is the thinnest part of the stock.  Probably won't matter as its a thru-bolt gun and that helps a lot.  I just like grain flow in the grip area to be 100 percent straight as it adds strength.  Parker Reproductions straight grip guns are someone notorious for having broken stocks because much of their wood was Claro walnut and not laid out correctly.   Above said, I'm glad they made it right by you and I've heard really good things about Fausti.

Jazz4Brazo

Thanks for the insights Tut...much appreciated as I have a lot to learn about stock appreciation and selection along with fit to finish. 

This experience however has made me somewhat concerned about just what a light gun can put up with shot wise.

And Fausti really has been great...for what amounted to little more than freight costs for US and overseas transport I am more than pleased...now the question becomes do I shoot it as a newly stocked round body with no concerns :) or trade up :D

J4B

tut
30 minutes ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Thanks for the insights Tut...much appreciated as I have a lot to learn about stock appreciation and selection along with fit to finish. 

This experience however has made me somewhat concerned about just what a light gun can put up with shot wise.

And Fausti really has been great...for what amounted to little more than freight costs for US and overseas transport I am more than pleased...now the question becomes do I shoot it as a newly stocked round body with no concerns :) or trade up :D

J4B

Trading up depends on how much you like it and how well you shoot it.  Did some digging around and this is a photo of some pretty good blanks I owned in the past with good layouts.    

circassianblanks.jpg

Jazz4Brazo

Thanks for the pic example...after comparison I see what you mean...very useful :-)

bigjohnsd

Pierre, just saw this, sorry my "fix" wasn't "the fix", glad that Fausti stepped up to the plate for you.

There must have been a fundamental flaw in the original stock,possibly in the mating of the stock head To the receiver?

Was the chunk that came off the second time one that I had repaired or a new failure?  

Jazz4Brazo

Hi John,

No worries here and thanks again for all your help...hard to see from the above pic but it came off in the repair area at the shoulder edge (top/side)...based on Tut's comments about grain orientation my gut says it was likely a combination of poor stock/grain layout coupled with stock fit issue but in the end I was very well taken care of by Fausti...now I have to decide on shoot it or trade it hmmmm :-)

terrym

Not trying to be negative but when an owner tries to bend a stock as you say you did originally then the fact they refused originally to warranty it is no surprise. Sounds like Fausti ended up treating you well. Beautiful gun by the way. 

Jazz4Brazo

I take no offense to your comment and agree Fausti treated me very well in the end and I truly wanted to set the record straight on that...I was upfront with them in both cases and advised them who did the work on the gun for stock bending and when BigJohn repaired the original crack on 2nd call...the responses were 180 different.

My gut still says there was a layout/fitting issue on first stock based on Tut's insights but I do think one could argue that the stock may have been affected during the bending process however I never hear/read much about anyone saying not to have your gun fitted/bent as it may cause cracks/chips, etc. Seems to me that is done routinely (more so on higher end guns w.r.t. funds available for fitting/commitment to shooting re: investment...not intending to offend anyone here) with little to no negative impact but agree that it should be considered here by readers for future reference.

J4B