FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
browndrake

2016 UJ Fly Swap?

browndrake

I'm kinda the new kid on the block with this, but last year's fly swap was fun.   Looking over the last couple seasons, it looks like we keep pushing this later and later into the year.  So, I'm throwing this out there.

I would love to do another fly swap...Anybody else on board?

(I need something to get me moving and start my tying for the season.)

D. Case

I had fun with it last year and would be glad to join in again.

Dave Case

Chubs

I'm in again.

IIRC, it was you, browndrake, who tied those drake emergers. If so, can you send me the recipe? I'm going to tweak it for a brown drake hatch I'm hoping to catch again in June... I lost the fly, but I remember it being a great pattern. I also remember catching several fish on it before it got lost, too!

browndrake

I'm in again.

IIRC, it was you, browndrake, who tied those drake emergers. If so, can you send me the recipe? I'm going to tweak it for a brown drake hatch I'm hoping to catch again in June... I lost the fly, but I remember it being a great pattern. I also remember catching several fish on it before it got lost, too!

I'll do that  It will be a few days though, as I'll be out of town for most of the week.  

I use that same pattern for most species of may flies, just change size and colors.

Do we want any theme this year? Or just tie a favorite fly?

I'm thinking of tying a Hungarian partridge caddis or a duck butt (nice cdc pmd)

MAArcher
Can you guys post the rules for any new (to fly swap) guys that may like to join in?

Big Pine

Sure.  You can count me in.  

I'd also like to see the rules posted up again.

browndrake

Will stick with the same rules as the last few years.

Copied from last year:

- Each tier will tie 1 fly for each participant, plus one extra - the extra fly will be donated to Brad for use how he sees fit (perhaps an auction)  

**Being that there is talk of board change going on, perhaps we should all tie two extra so that Brad can have two sets for the auction??**

- Commitment deadline ASAP (this is when people need to commit to tying and declare what they are tying).

** we need to have a commitment deadline so everybody knows how many to tie.  Should we say end of Feb to join the swap this year?**

- Completion deadline - Flies should be completed and in the mail to me by April 30th. I'll PM the participants my mailing address.  Flies will be mailed to the tiers as soon as possible after they have all been received.

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.

There is only one really firm rule on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you. So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes!

____

Last year LostintheUplands hosted it.  Since I brought it up, I don't mind hosting unless there is somebody else that is dying to do it.

aaron

Tres
We got some nice flies out of last years swap. I hope you guys had as much luck as I usually do on those mini hoppers.

ThreeDogs
I want in. Sign me up what do I do?

browndrake

You've done it so far!  For now just commit to the swap then tie flies for everybody that is participating before end of April.

rules are posted above:

RULES

Also, spread the word.  The more people involved the better.

Thanks.

Keith

I'm fairly new to the fishing side of this board but I'm interested in this fly swap. What kind of participation numbers are we talking about? Want to make sure I have the time before I commit.

Keith

Keith

I saw the archive for last years swap and got an idea of the number of participants.....count me in for this years swap.

Keith

browndrake

So far it looks like we have

browndrake

D.Case

Chubs

Big Pine

ThreeDogs

Blakduk

Keith

Posted but not committed yet?

MAArcher

Tres

17 more days to commit and then we have a couple months to get them tied and mailed out.

thanks all for getting on board.  It was a lot of fun last year and we all got some nice flies.

Chubs

over the next week, I plan on starting a new thread for posting fly recipes.   I'll see if I can dig up an old photo recipe that I made for the emerger.  If not, I'll see if I can get  some step by steps written up with photos.

Chubs
Chubs

over the next week, I plan on starting a new thread for posting fly recipes.   I'll see if I can dig up an old photo recipe that I made for the emerger.  If not, I'll see if I can get  some step by steps written up with photos.

Whatever is easiest for you is fine! There's no rush, either. Drakes don't really start hatching for another 4 months...  :D