• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
browndrake

2016 UJ Fly Swap?

MAArcher

I haven't tied a fly in 15 years.  I dug my box full of stuff out of the garage this weekend.  If I can find my vice and everything's in order, I'm in.  I'll know in the next day or two.  

Are we assigned a pattern or is it whatever you feel like?  I've only tied salt water stuff but I think I'd like to try a stimulator, stonefly nymph or a hopper.

browndrake

You can tie whatever you want.  

I think that this swap has usually had a theme.   I just joined UJ about a year ago so last year was my first swap here.  The theme was to was just tie a favorite from your stomping grounds.   We have not designated any theme this year.  If anybody wants to, just speak up.  Else, I will just tie another local favorite.

I'm leaning towards an hungarian partridge caddis this year.

Keith

I plan on tying a muddler minow of some variation.

Keith

browndrake

Just a reminder: a week from tomorrow is the last day to enter this year's fly swap.  

It is a great excuse to get out the vise and start trying for the upcoming season.

browndrake

Today is supposed to be the last day to commit.  I am out ot town from Monday morning until Tues night every week, so anybody signed up by tomorrow  night is gold.  

Current standings:

Signed up:

browndrake

D.Case

Chubs

Big Pine

ThreeDogs

Blakduk

Keith

Wyo

Posted but not committed yet?

MAArcher

Tres

Looking forward to this.   I will PM all participants my contact info later this week.

thanks.

aaron

MAArcher
I'm in.

browndrake

Well, today is 1 March and I just got back out of the hills, so we are officially closing the entry for the 2016 fly swap.

Participants include:

browndrake

D.Case

Chubs

Big Pine

ThreeDogs

Blakduk

Keith

Wyo

MAArcher

If Tres  PMs me in the next 24 hours then we will add him still.

I'll repost the rules here, to make it simple:

- Each tier will tie 1 fly for each participant, plus two extra - the extra flys will be donated to Brad for use how he sees fit (perhaps an auction)  (in the past it has been one extra, but I thought 2 extra might raise a small bit extra money during the auction to help defray the costs of the new forum)

- Completion deadline - Flies should be completed and in the mail to me by April 30th. I'll PM the participants my mailing address.  Flies will be mailed to the tiers as soon as possible after they have all been received.

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.

There is only one really firm rule on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you. So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes!

-Last year, I think that everybody tagged all their flies so that everybody would know who tied what...not a requirement but nice.

browndrake

PMs sent

Looks like there are nine of us.  So, we all need to tie 10 to send off...8 for other participants, 2 for Brad ( the traditional 1 plus another to help with the board change)

Thanks everybody.

aaron

MAArcher
How's the tying coming along?  I've made a couple attempts at a stonefly nymph but I'm not having any luck making something I'd bother tying onto a leader.  May have to find a simpler pattern.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a novice tyer for a pattern that would be universally productive (I wouldn't want to tie a big salt water pattern that wouldn't be of any use to the freshwater only guys)?

Big Pine

When I started tying I was doing mostly soft hackles like a partridge and peacock or a hare's ear.  They're super simple and very effective on trout and panfish, though the hackle can be tricky when you're just getting started.  If you have some dubbing and a package of partridge hackles you should give it a try.  Also, lots of folks start out with woolies, and I know I could always use an extra wooly bugger or 6.  

I'm working on a batch of bright green soft hackles with wire bodies and gray partridge collars.  I should have them in the mail sometime later this week.  Just need to make it the post office.

browndrake

X2 on the Partridge soft hackles. They are easy to tie and fish great.  I find that I'm also always short pheasant tails, scuds, and midges.

I'm going to start a thread with fly recipes and tutorials.   I have been holding off, waiting for the new board software to takeover.  We will then be able to share how tos on stones or any other problem flies

Chubs

I'm tying up some pass lakes. If you have brook trout anywhere nearby, they are total suckers for this fly (and I have absolutely no idea why that is!). Other trout will gobble them up, too, especially if they're fished on the swing. I haven't tried, but I'm sure they'd work great for panfish, too.

I'm looking forward to getting some flies again this year. I really enjoyed trying out the assortment from last year's swap.

Keith
Did up some "marabou muddlers". Should have them in the mail in the next day or two

browndrake

Just a reminder:

One month left to get flies tied and sent off.

I have already received 1 nice set of flies.  Am looking forward to all the others.

Aaron