Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

UPDATES on BOARD CHANGE

Brad Eden

Update on Board Software Change 2/17/16

Invision Power Board (IBP) Software and Cloud Hosting Package have been purchased. I have an undeveloped new board accessible on the IP Board Cloud Server. I have started working up design elements like a masthead, changing color theme etc., but not much else  because I want and need to see the results of a "Dry Run Test Conversion"

Ikonboard to IPB Conversion has been purchased. IPB support/developer has been put in touch with my current Host. UJ Board Data has been provided to IPB for a Test Conversion.

I havent seen any Test Conversion yet. Its been a few days. If I don't hear soon Ill contact IPB support. Im trying to stay optimistic, but am admittedly nervous given I have tried a conversion to new board software in the past with dismal results.

Depending on the dry run test conversion results....a Full Conversion will then take place. Not sure about time frame. I am anticipating a lot of work to get all Member data, Categories and Forums workable before opening a new board to Members.

So, the shiit hasn't hit the fan fully yet...or is just starting to...

I will start yet another thread asking for voluntary financial support when I have a better handle on the full scope of this situation. The costs are fluid at this point. The cost of the actual Conversion work by IPB approaches $1000 and thats an estimate. The costs incurred from the work being done by my current Host as they prepare and provide data/files and work with IPB could be high given their hourly rate is $130/hr. *An unknown cost is whether the current UJ Board will need to stay on my hosts server past the end of February. As described in my "War & Peace" Board Change Topic, the current Board software is incompatible with modern servers. My host may agree to keep an old server active for a period of time at $319/month...That adds up. The monthly charge for a new board on the new Cloud Hosting Plan is something I plan to absorb through the standard Contributing Member voluntary donations, as I always have, but will utilize those funds for Board Swap if needed. The time Ive already devoted and will as this progresses is hard to estimate, but I am living on my iMac right now.

Chesepeakes_Man

Thanks for the update Brad

Dale

Fire Marshal Bill
We appreciate all your hard work in keeping this forum up and running,!!

Brad Eden

Update 2/19/16

I heard back from the IPB Developer on the the dry run test conversion. For some reason I wont see results until March 4th. Im not sure why its gonna take that long and have asked them why. That also puts this board past the February 30 deadline to remove it from the current server. Ill be talking to my current host on extending that deadline.

In the meantime I am pruning inactive Memberships (Members who haven't been active for several years), removing and cleaning up Categories and Forums etc. so only the most important "data" is used when Full Conversion takes place. Im also tweaking out the new board design, masthead, color theme, etc., etc.

Kansas Big Dog
Carry on ole Mighty Smitter, we are with you in spirit and electron.

Remo
Sounds good. I've been saving the egg money for something important. Can't do without UJ.

Brad Eden
Brad, will a thread like this classic be retained for future viewing under the new format? There is some hunting gold back in the archives.

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....5;st=30

Thats what they are telling me with the Conversion, but I wont know and believe it until I see it. So maybe, I hope, that's the plan, doing all I can to preserve the content of this board...

Brad Eden

Update 3/2/16

Not much to report. Hands are a bit tied. I/we are currently at the mercy of the custom development team at IP Board. I am reluctant to fool with the new board I have access to until I see the results of the "dry run test conversion". I don't want to redo stuff etc. Hopefully Ill see something by end of week. Thanks for everyones patience...trust me things are gonna get 'interesting' very soon...

I have pruned old memberships. I kept all registered Members from about 2012 regardless if active or not. History has shown that many people who drifted off come back after a spell, even years. We went down from 3600+ to 2842. (Many boards tout inflated numbers of Members since they never Prune inactive memberships. Out of laziness or marketing or whatever. Given UJ was launched in 2002, If I never pruned inactive memberships the Member number would probabky be over 10k...)

I also have a slew of new folks waiting in the wings to register. Ill probably open up registration for one more window before Board Software change.

Brad Eden

Update 3/7/16

I was emailed a link to the dry test conversion from this board to the new one today. At first glance I am optimistic but haven't dug deep into it to see whats functional etc. I am still learning the new board functionality and admin controls as well. Plan is to deal with any issues and then schedule a completely new Full Conversion from most current board data. I am going to try and put considerable time into this this week. Main distractions is a new room I am about to start building in basement with a carpenter/contractor friend. (Spare bedroom, office, hangout room for JoAnn).

Ill keep updating as this progresses.

Brad Eden

UPDATE 3/10/16

Ive been busy putting the Test Conversion through its paces. At first blush I was quite optimistic, but have been dealing with some issues. Some egregious enough that if not fixed could really put a damper, if not a hold on this Board Software Change situation. Rather than list them, lets just say I have been in constant email mode with the IPB Custom Services staff trying to resolve them. Thats the whole point of the Dry Test Conversion; to find problems and try and fix them before a Final Full Conversion. Once those have been resolved to my satisfaction the plan is for my host/server people to supply IPB with all new and current board data: Members, Topics, Forums...the whole shebang and do a final "Full Conversion". I hope to get that started early to mid next week. Once that is ready for me, I then need to reconfigure everything to a new working board. I don't want too much time/days to pass in between IPB getting all new board data, doing conversion and me tweaking it out...and closing this board....and opening new board etc., etc. Naturally there will be some lost Topics etc.

Ill keep updating...

Felix

If you need me to post something political or off color on your Dry Test Conversion so that you can test out your post holer and make sure it works on the new system, just let me know how to log on.

Always trying to be of help.

Chuck

Brad Eden

UPDATE 3/14/16

Nothing comes easy. Its a cluster. Been experiencing Server Errors meaning the Test Board has been completely down for days at a time. Still working with IP Custom Services to work through the issues. Frankly, I am very discouraged. I may need to move on to the Final Conversion with all new UJ Board files and work with that. Not sure.

Chesepeakes_Man

Thanks for the update and all your hard work Brad. I hope it all works out soon and your frustration comes to an end.

Dale

Brad Eden

UPDATE 3/17/16

Outside of a bunch of issues that are being promised to be fixed on final conversion; the biggest obstacle has been the speed of the new Test Conversion board. Slow as hell. Turns out that was due to a load of "Background Processes" being performed. In a nutshell that is the new software converting all Topics and Posts from old BBCode to new HTML. This normally occurs automatically when there is traffic on the board. Naturally there isn't now, so I was instructed to click a "Manual Processing" function. Well, that bombed the board with a Server Error for days at a time. They finally jacked up my space and I was able to finish that Background Processing last night. It took over 4 hours. Good news is the Search Function which wasn't working appears to be working now. Bad news is they now need to evaluate my/UJ space needs and are alluding to me having to purchase a bigger more expensive Cloud Hosting Package. Ill find out soon about that.

Im almost ready to basically go through the same thing Ive been going through with the Final Conversion. Meaning providing them with completely new and current board files/data. The Test Conversion revealed problems and issues that will be (theoretically) corrected on Final Conversion, and also provided a guide for me to set up and format the new board to at least replicate this current board.

We are looking at a couple weeks I think. Im very uncomfortable wiping out this board completely once I open new board, and will likely close it to read only and pay to keep it on my current server for an additional month for increased cost as described in my original "War & Peace" Board Software Change diatribe.

As soon as I have final results on the cost of this Conversion, monthly cost of new board on new Cloud Hosting server, monthly cost of keeping UJ site/ email/webmail on current server, etc.,etc. I will be soliciting for voluntary donations specifically to help cover the Conversion costs described above. My hope is once covered, the Board will be financially stable based on the usual Contributing Member Donation structure.

For the first time I am seeing a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.