FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
blanked

Ram truck reliability

blanked
Looking to pull the trigger for new one.   Are they dependable now.  Having trouble with Mexico assembly so need a boost

topdog1961
I don't have any experience with dependability on newer ones, but they seem to be the first to rust in NW Ohio. Especially over the wheel wells. These trucks are a few years old, but GM and Ford of the same years hold up better. That likely is not a concern in Texas.

terrym
I drive a 2015 1500 with the Hemi. Have 65,000 kms on it so far and not a single issue yet. Brakes still have plenty of wear left too. It gets about 700 kms on a fill up in winter and in summer I can go 800 kms on a tank of gas. So far it has been a very good vehicle.

Doubleplay
Cummins Diesel Rams in the 3/4 ton category are the best among the big three. However IMHO Toyota in the 1/2 ton segment is the best.

bobman

I would order it with as few electronic gadgets as possible that's where most of the problems and obsolescence comes from in all of them

I wouldn't worry about Mexican assembly

I agree with doubleplay if it's a half ton go with the tundra

gunner29

Myself I like ford super duty.

Several guys around here bought 1/2 ton dodge diesels and really like them.

JoeFroESS

I have a 2014 1500 hemi 8 speed with 60,000 miles on it.  (Yeah - I drive a lot.)  I love the comfort, performance, and design of the truck.  I think that the power train and mechanicals are very solid.  

However I have had a number of problems with small electrical doo-dads such as door lock buttons (2x failures), overhead console lights (2x failures- whole console needs replaced because LEDs are soldered in - $600), backup camera, turn signal clock spring.  All of this replaced under warranty.

So my advice would be to stick with the lower trim levels with less electronic / electric parts.  Also in the higher trims, with the on-demand transfer case (provides 4 auto setting), there are complaints from people claiming that 4 lock is not actually locked until the rear wheels spin a little bit.  You may want to check some of the ram truck forums to see what people are saying.

YMMV. Everybody has a different experience and I know that there are a lot of very happy Ram owners out there who have had minimal issues.  Corollary goes for other brands as well.

hunthemup

2006 1500 here with over $138k miles and outside of maintenance type work - not issues. Very pleased with it.

DSC01443.jpg

dogrunner
My dealer handles all 3 brands, Dodge is by far the worst for constant warranty work , mostly eletrical. They joke about it all the time and nobody there will buy one. They said if the leases weren't so cheap they would probably not sell very many.

ThomGordon

33,000 miles with no issues here. Hemi. Love it! Extremely comfortable, plenty of power & the mpg isnt too bad if I stay off the throttle 14 city 19 hwy...

P1010290.JPGII-XL.jpg

RookieEP
Cummins Diesel Rams in the 3/4 ton category are the best among the big three. However IMHO Toyota in the 1/2 ton segment is the best.

Buddy has the diesel 3/4 real nice truck but he has had to put some money in her - biggest expense the transmission less than 100,000 miles and the truck never towed. Plus he is meticulous with maintenance.

Uplandish
2013 1500 hem,i 30K, zero problems so far. Absolutely love this truck.

salmontogue

I own three

1997 2500/Cummins Ext. cab 8ft  335K  No repairs other than routine maintenance.  Just beginning to show minor rust. Xlnt fuel economy and tows like a champ.  Best truck I have owned.

2014 3500/Cummins SRW 4dr cab 8ft  36K Xlnt fuel economy and tows effortlessly. No problems so far.

2016 1500/Ecodiesel 4dr cab 6.5ft 17K Incredible fuel economy, better than advertised and it will tow 10K (properly equipped) although the big Cummins is better at it.  So far, I am getting 21/30 which is incredible for a truck this size.  No problems so far.

I have owned two recent Tundras, one was unacceptable and was traded early after a dispute with Toyota.  To their credit, they treated me extremely well and refunded all the money toward the new Tundra which is a nice "sorta" truck..Tundras do not do well with heavy tows and heavy loads and their fuel economy is dreadful.

12ette

This question loomed over me for the last 2 months or so.  Dodge, Chrysler has left me in the cold several times.  I hear great things, about getting better and being more reliable.  

The 8spd trans ZF design, made under contract here has a proud following in many makes.  

The 5.7 mated to the 8spd is nice, can feel sluggish, but with 8 gears to choose, it operates at envelop's edge of each.  I sometimes felt as though I was a gear too high, but it rectified quickly.  Ram even says the transmission needs 2-3k miles (IIRC) to program itself to your driving.  

The coil spring suspension makes for a smother ride than I thought a truck could ride.  

In the end the looming question is still "Ram quality".  I bought a Ford.

salmontogue
I should have added that a family agribusiness in two western and one mid-western state buys and uses a large number of pickups.  The diesels are all Rams and the gas are mostly Fords.  These are lessons learned by hands-on experiences