FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
blanked

Ram truck reliability

WeeWilly
I own a 2008 3/4 SLT and love the Cummins and Mercedes G56, the rest is a cheap pile of scrap. If you are going diesel/auto, the Allison is a proven winner. Dodge will not get my $$$ again because of the corners cut and the list is long.

henryrski
I agree with Wee Willy. I've owned 2 Dodges - My first and last.

ThomGordon
I agree with Wee Willy. I've owned 2 Dodges - My first and last.

I completely get this. I used to feel the same way about Dodge but then started get feed back from co-workers and friends that they love the newer models. When I bought new, Ram had the most proven engine in the 5.7 L than the competition, combined with mpg vs hp & torque. Ride & aesthetics were also contributing factors. In my opinion Ram could not be beat at the time. Although I really like my truck, today is a different story. I believe all manufactures have stepped up their game. I like the new Fords but would worry about longevity of a twin turbo and the paint job sticking to the aluminum body. I really like the new Chev & GMC's mated with a 5.3L still a little small but a very proven, reliable engine with good mpg. I do not like the looks of Toyota or the Nissan. If I was buying today I would take a hard look at the big three, weigh the pro's & con's, the overall deal to be made and pull the trigger from there...

P1400169.JPGII-XL.jpg

terrym
When those eco turbos fail they are huge money to replace. Im also wondering how many body shops are skilled at working with aluminum should you get in a fender bender and how difficult repair panels are to source aftermarket?

Kansas Bound
I do find the Ram ecodesiel very intreging

WeeWilly
Thom, do you mind sharing why you moved on from the Raptor?

salmontogue
When those eco turbos fail they are huge money to replace. Im also wondering how many body shops are skilled at working with aluminum should you get in a fender bender and how difficult repair panels are to source aftermarket?

Turbos are pricey and generally fail for two major reasons, dirty air and dirty or insufficient lubrication.

My family is in the agribusiness in two western states and one mid-western state and runs a huge number of John Deere turbo tractors and combines along with various excavation equipment and heavy trucks.  When properly maintained, turbos enjoy a long life.

I have two Ram/Cummins and a new Ram/Ecodiesel, all with turbos.  The oldest, a 1997 2500 with 335k miles, has never had any engine problems other than a failed crankshaft sensor.  Our new ecodiesel has only 17k miles but runs like a champ (sshhh) with fuel economy like a compact car.  Time will tell.

terrym
I wasn't referring to the turbo on diesels. Im concerned with the Ford ecoboost ones. Not convinced they are needed in a 1/2 ton pickup that more than likely does 95% commuter car duty.

salmontogue
I wasn't referring to the turbo on diesels. Im concerned with the Ford ecoboost ones. Not convinced they are needed in a 1/2 ton pickup that more than likely does 95% commuter car duty.

My understanding is that Ford uses them, and sometimes in pairs, on gasoline engines in cars and trucks.

Your commuting example, lower speed stop and go, is where turbos are not all that advantageous.  If you are accelerating quickly to cut someone off, now there is good turbo effect.  Just funning ya.

Accelerating under load and sustained higher speeds are where turbos shine.

I am with you and believe most of us would benefit from turbos on diesels and not so much gas.

ThomGordon
Thom, do you mind sharing why you moved on from the Raptor?

The Raptor is not mine.

It is owned by this feller here, Señor Daley

P1020934.JPGII-XL.jpg

Which, he still owns it...

P1010320.JPGII-XL.jpg

WI Outdoor Nut

Brother just picked up a 1/2 ton diesel (2016).  It has been in the shop almost more than out of the shop.  Check engine light on due to electrical issue or DEF problems.  Truck rides nice and pulls great, minus the issues.    

Another brother has a jeep Cherokee diesel (2014 or 2015).  At 40K miles, he is thinking of getting rid of it due to his job needing a vehicle with very high reliability marks.  His jeep has been in the shop more than my 3 vehicles that I own with 315,000 cumulative miles (2 Hondas and 1 ford).

Only an N=2, but I would be cautious.

Adams
Cummins Diesel Rams in the 3/4 ton category are the best among the big three. However IMHO Toyota in the 1/2 ton segment is the best.

Buddy has the diesel 3/4 real nice truck but he has had to put some money in her - biggest expense the transmission less than 100,000 miles and the truck never towed. Plus he is meticulous with maintenance.

I have a 2004 3/4 ton diesel with about 105K miles on it.  Most of those miles were hauling a slide-in Lance camper and a drift boat.  I love the truck.  I have had virtually no problems with it (knock on wood).

25/06

I do not know why people are so worried about turbos on a gas but expect them to run 300,00 on the diesels?...Most of the turbos are made by the same companies whether on diesel or gas.

Back in the 80's when they tried to run carburetors and turbos they ran into some heating issues but since gas air fuel ratios are controlled direct injection just like the diesels no one is flooding the cylinders with fuel thus they are controlling exhaust temp just like in the diesels

I think you will see some pretty impressive longevity on the gas turbos.

I would have bought the Echo Diesel but they just came out when I was needing a new truck and they were only in the highest trim levels....I could have bought any Ram 3/4 diesel on the lot for the same or less money than the 1/2 ton Echo Diesel.

I bought a 14 Ford F150 XLT echo Crew Cab for about $18,000 lest than I could get a Crew cab Echo Diesel for!

In a few years when I need another it looks like we are going to have options from the big three on diesels in the 1/2 ton... That is if the EPA doesn't screw it up even more as they do not like diesels.

I love the competition between all the manufacturers...It is a win for the customer...

dogrunner
Ford has been running there gas turbo's since 09,I would say they got it figured out, because they are sticking with them and adding more motors with them every year.

jsd245
I e always been a dodge guy- got away from trucks and tried a Toyota 4Runner which was ok - but too small. Traded it for  2014 limited crew cab with ram boxes and the hemi and the air suspension. It is the nicest truck I've ever been in and I love it. I get an honest 20mpg, it had tons of power, and the ride with the air suspension is pretty great. Unlike any other truck I've ridden in. 25k miles so far with no issues. Love the truck.