REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dogwood

Best Used Pickups?

Chukarman

I owned a Ford Expedition (5.4L) for quite a few years. Great vehicle and very similar to the F150 series 1/2 ton trucks. It got about 17 MPG in freeway driving. Towing my 24' tandem axle TT it was doing well to get as much as 10 MPG.

My F350 7.3L gets 19 MPG freeway driving and about 13 - 14 towing the same trailer.

On this basis for comparison, the biggest truck is more economical.

bobman

read the comments LOL  its not "struggling"

that bobcat and trailer weighs a lot more than a two horse trailer.

FWIW I own horses and a two horse trailer, and pulled them with a 1995 F 150 for many years, most trailers have their own brakes so its not an issue.

ckfowler180

5 mpg better may be a stretch even for regular driving if I am not convinced the fancy new system isn't the direction I want to go. I didn't haul the horses at all in 2015, made three trips in 2014 and only one of those with both horses. 15-40 miles each way with no hills and may even sell them soon but understand the tendency to add projects. Would just do another Outback but I want to be able to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood and just can't make myself do the minivan. V6 Colorado or Toyota would also fit in the garage better with the Tahoe than another fs vehicle and I can tie bigger stuff now and then with that.

Hauled plenty of things I probably shouldn't have with the 4 cyl 4Runner years ago but try to be smarter now.

WeeWilly
Seems I saw a Toyota towing a space shuttle a while back on TV. I would go with one of them, they must be the best.

topdog1961

Seems I saw a Toyota towing a space shuttle a while back on TV. I would go with one of them, they must be the best.

Weirdest thing I ever saw going down the road was a Buick, one of their 70s full size sedans, pulling a fully loaded tractor- trailer.  The trailer was full size, whatever that is- I think 50 some feet dump trailer like my nephew in KY uses to haul 20 some tons of coal. More if their are no weight checks. It was over flowing the top with scrap metal. They were headed the opposite direction on a four lane highway. I did a triple take and never forgot that.