2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RookieEP

Full size truck or Big SUV

Bede
I can't for the life of me understand the obsession some folks have with lager vehicles.

but why?

Is the same argument used for a full size pick up truck vs a small one? Full size car vs a economy size?

I can think of $20-30k reasons.

And your economy vs midsize care isn't a reasonable comparison to midsize SUV vs burb. There are diminishing returns for size after some point, based on need.

Bede, you are talking apple to oranges between Pilots and the like compared to off road capable SUV's and pickups A Honda Pilot or other like vehicle is meant for paved roads because of clearance. I drove midsize pickups for years, and with a V6 they got no better mileage than a V8 1/2 ton.

Absolutely.

Far and away the biggest shortcoming of my Pilot. I'd downsize for more off road capability with similar mpg in a heartbeat, provided I'm done having kids.

The off road capability is a reasonable consideration, but not one that mandates a 'burb sized vehicle. Additionally, the weight and length of those are serious shortcomings, off road, body-on-frame construction or not.

Brad Adrian
throw in towing a boat, downsizing make even less sense. When it comes to gear I am mostly a minimalist, but not with vehicles. I want it to do anything I might ask of it.

UplandHntr
I can't for the life of me understand the obsession some folks have with lager vehicles.

but why?

Is the same argument used for a full size pick up truck vs a small one? Full size car vs a economy size?

And your economy vs midsize care isn't a reasonable comparison to midsize SUV vs burb. There are diminishing returns for size after some point, based on need.

Im out over the front of my skis. Out

charlo slim

I can --

SCN_0001-1.jpg

gunsrus

throw in towing a boat, downsizing make even less sense. When it comes to gear I am mostly a minimalist, but not with vehicles. I want it to do anything I might ask of it.

This ^

Bede

I can --

SCN_0001-1.jpg

Because 30 yrs ago you shot a pile of deer?

Brad Adrian
And some of us have 3 dogs. Or more.

Jakeismydog2

I can --

SCN_0001-1.jpg

Great picture!

charlo slim
Because 30 yrs ago you shot a pile of deer?

Good one, Bede, ya' really got me there!  Haven't actually needed a 'burb since then either. In fact, I'm kind of ashamed of myself.

Over and out.

terrym
Truth is most people would be better served with an SUV and a utility trailer for the times you need more payload. I drove SUV's for 30 years. Our company switched over to Dodge Rams and I fought it for 3 years but eventually had no choice. I have been driving one for 15 months now and can't believe how much I like it. A crew cab 1/2 ton with a cap on it can handle anything. You still have room in the back seat for a couple dogs when you need AC or heat. They get great mileage now and ride like caddys.

Chukarman

Sometimes you just NEED a large vehicle. In the fall, i'm taking long trips, carrying 4 or 5 bird dogs, and towing my 24' Airstream. A Ford F350 crew cab with a dog topper, water tank, equalizer hitch and 7.3L diesel gets my gear, dogs, guns, and traveling hunting lodge where I want to go. In the summer it tows my boat to Mexico.

The rest of the time I drive a modest SUV - Toyota Landcruiser.

tundratom
I agree with Terrym!  I just traded in my Tacoma (which was a great truck) and bought a 2016 4Runner Trail Edition.  I also have an 05 4Runner and it has just been a fabulous vehicle.  I love 4Runners.  One of the last midsize "truck" SUV's with body-on-frame construction. They are comfortable, roomy, great off roaders and IMHO tough as hell! Plus...., they are not so wide that I have trouble getting down those paths to those hard to reach grouse coverts and trout streams.  I will miss my Tacoma for transporting firewood but will probably pick up a cheap trailer to do the job!

Greg Hartman

you ever get a truck, you will love it and wonder how you  got along without one !

I've discovered that the converse is also true.  When you can no longer have the truck you love, it is amazing how well you can get along with a small, cheapie 4x4.

When my wife got sick 6 years ago, I needed to buy a low slung coupe that would allow me to transfer her from her wheelchair to the vehicle and back again to go to the doctor, etc.  My beloved V8 crew cab pickup was too high and the door openings too narrow.  I couldn't have both, so I sold the truck and bought a Honda coupe (great daily transportation, BTW - fast, comfortable, fuel efficient and not all that expensive).  For hunting, snow driving and general utility work, I was stuck with a little POS Jeep that previously I used only as a dedicated tow-behind vehicle for the motorhome.  I thought that suddenly being truckless for the first time in many years was just yet another punishing life change resulting from her illness.  Turns out I was wrong.

The little 4x4 Jeep can go anywhere any rational bird hunter might want to go.  It is actually much better and more practical off-road and in deep snow than my truck was.  It carries my two dogs and everything else I need for hunting nearly everyday and I can take another guy and his dogs and stuff if need be.  Since it's an old POS, I don't hesitate to throw bloody dead critters, soggy smelly dogs, firewood, rocks or whatever else in it or to tie anything on to it, like my canoe.  It has a Class 3 hitch, so I can tow with it when I must.

No it's not comfortable, quiet and nice like the truck was.  But, it's full of scratches, dents and dings and it's literally a vehicle no one would steal, so I don't hesitate to take it anywhere and do anything with it - which I would never do with the nice (and expensive) truck.  When I'm hauling stuff, sometimes I need to take two trips, but, as a retired guy, I don't have a truck payment either.

I'm (mostly) with Bede on this.  While I certainly recognize that there are some folks who need trucks or huge SUV's - like Matt, but mostly contractor and farmers - I suspect that 90% of the guys who drive trucks don't really need a truck - they just want one.  That's just fine, of course, it's a free country - but before spending your money make sure you know the difference between "want" and "need".

For example, nearly all the guys at my gun club drive really nice full-size trucks.  The parking lot literally gleams and I reduce the properly value when I park my dirty, battered POS Jeep there.  But, I actually use my 4x4 as a real 4x4 nearly every day - unlike those beautiful showpiece trucks.

So, no longer being able to have a truck, I now wonder why I ever thought I needed one.

max2
I have seen trucks come along way. With the extended cab option I now let him ride behind me (in cab) on the cold and wet days I can hand him the cheeze-its on the ride home. Being a contractor I need a truck.I had an expedition once for the personal vehicle. Nice ride but with extended cab pick-up one can do it all.

WeeWilly

but why?

Bede, you are talking apple to oranges between Pilots and the like compared to off road capable SUV's and pickups A Honda Pilot or other like vehicle is meant for paved roads because of clearance. I drove midsize pickups for years, and with a V6 they got no better mileage than a V8 1/2 ton.

This x 2. A half ton with a canopy flat out gets more done.