FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RookieEP

Full size truck or Big SUV

Chubs
No one "needs" a large vehicle unless you own a company in construction, mining or oil.

...or you have to tow a horse trailer or you have several dogs or a big camper or...

It's great that you guys have found your mid-sized SUVs so useful. I have a mid-sized truck that I hate. Why? It's totally insufficient for my needs at this point. As soon as I'm able, I'm getting as much truck as I can afford. Try putting 6 dogs in your little SUVs and tell me how much fun it is.

Dakota Dogman
No one "needs" a large vehicle unless you own a company in construction, mining or oil.

Again... that is a pretty broad statement.

A suburban isn't big enough for our needs.  We gave up on one of them about 5 years ago.  We now have a 1 ton 15 passenger van and absolutely love it. Try taking 8 kids, a hound dog & hunting gear on a 2 week pheasant hunting vacation.  It is barely big enough!  

Baseball season, wrestling team, church youth group... people are always asking if we can give them a ride.

God Bless,

bobman

I've been hunting out of 15 passenger van's for years, nothing else comes close to the utility those things offer and if you put a locker in the rear end and some real aggressive tires you have to really be stupid to get the thing stuck.

I usually have eight or nine dogs and two or three guys with me and we have plenty of room

salmontogue

It is hard to understand this kerfuffle over vehicle size.  I am getting worried, even twitterpated, about not being able to fit all my "stuff" in anything less than a full sized vehicle.  When you have been around as long as me, you begin thinking that the only way to transport all your "stuff" is in a moving van.  There is one problem, logging roads will need to be widened.

Get with it you mini-car/truck/van guys.  My 1500 Ram ecodiesel gets nearly 30mpg and my 3500 Ram/Cummins gets a tad over twenty.  You mini vehicle guys are using more fuel than me and probably having to make more trips in the bargain.  Shame on you.

Now that there is a ripple on the pond....time for Brook Trout fishing.

Perk

martyg

...or you have to tow a horse trailer or you have several dogs or a big camper or...

It's great that you guys have found your mid-sized SUVs so useful. I have a mid-sized truck that I hate. Why? It's totally insufficient for my needs at this point. As soon as I'm able, I'm getting as much truck as I can afford. Try putting 6 dogs in your little SUVs and tell me how much fun it is.

Chubs -

Unless you are a professional wrangler you don't "need" horses, a horse trailer. It is a "want". It is a hobby. Big difference. Just like most people in the lower 48 don't "need" a 4WD - in the way that people in Eastern Russia or Western China "need" a 4WD - it is just that people in the US are too lazy to walk.

These guys have forgotten more about horses than you will ever know and camp far more frequently than you ever will. They don't "need" a big SUV. A big camper? Really? How soft are you?

wrangler_camp_1024x681.jpg

mongolian_wrangler_w_horse.jpg

post img

loading_horses_2.jpg

image uploader

Get yourself one of these:

4_WD_is_for_pussies.jpg

image upload without registration

Then you can go to places like this. For scale, that green speck in the photo below is the six wheel drive Russian troop transport shown above.

Delgamor_put_in_camp.jpg

upload gambar

Chubs

Chubs -

Unless you are a professional wrangler you don't "need" horses, a horse trailer. It is a "want". It is a hobby. Big difference. Just like most people in the lower 48 don't "need" a 4WD - in the way that people in Eastern Russia or Western China "need" a 4WD - it is just that people in the US are too lazy to walk.

These guys have forgotten more about horses than you will ever know and camp far more frequently than you ever will. They don't "need" a big SUV. A big camper? Really? How soft are you?

wrangler_camp_1024x681.jpg

mongolian_wrangler_w_horse.jpg

post img

loading_horses_2.jpg

image uploader

Get yourself one of these:

4_WD_is_for_pussies.jpg

image upload without registration

Then you can go to places like this. For scale, that green speck in the photo below is the six wheel drive Russian troop transport shown above.

Delgamor_put_in_camp.jpg

upload gambar

Is that Mongolia?

If you want to have a conversation about "needs" on such an absurd scale, we could take this in a completely counterintuitive direction and derail this thing post haste. I'll just leave it be...

bobman

Martyg

you don't "need"  clothes or a gun either just go naked and find a stick

post some pictures LOL

martyg
Martyg

you don't "need"  clothes or a gun either just go naked and find a stick

post some pictures LOL

Of course I don't "need" a bespoke SxS or well trained dogs or functional clothes of modern materials. For that matter I don't "need" to hunt - none of us does. We have an excellent food distribution system in the US.

However i believe that I am wise enough to recognize the difference between  a "want" and a "need". Or the difference between an investment which will appreciate in value and provide greater return verses an ecpediture - which is like putting money time or othere resource in a shredder.

sloth5202
That escalated quickly :D  :unclesam:  :ghostface:  :blush:

bobman

here's my take

if you hunt 1500 miles away you need a string of dogs, if you have a string of dogs you need a truck.

if you have a string of dogs you need to camp (hotels are a hassle) if you need to camp you need a camper

if you don't that's ok to, but one persons wants can be someone else's needs

RookieEP
here's my take

if you hunt 1500 miles away you need a string of dogs, if you have a string of dogs you need a truck.

if you have a string of dogs you need to camp (hotels are a hassle) if you need to camp you need a camper

if you don't that's ok to, but one persons wants can be someone else's needs

There ya go.  Right on.

Dakota Dogman
However i believe that I am wise enough to recognize the difference between  a "want" and a "need". Or the difference between an investment which will appreciate in value and provide greater return verses an ecpediture - which is like putting money time or othere resource in a shredder.

The funny thing is how different "need" is based upon your frame of reference... vs. greed.  

To me having a comfortable safe ride is a greater "need" than having a shotgun that is "going to will appreciate in value and provide greater return...".  

So having lived in WA state, yeah, I can see how 4x4 is totally an optional toy that no one needs.  You can hunt elk off the blacktops from a smart car.

Then again, now that we live in the middle of extreme winters for the lower 48 - there are times where 4x4 is more than a convenience.  

As I see it, it isn't "want = money in a shredder" vs. "need = investment that will appreciate in value"... more like a box cube with multiple options.

So for me... putting money into a toy like a expensive gun is a waste, when a simple 1 will do the same thing. And sometimes I waste money. But I don't justify it; even to my wife!  :D

Then again, the investment of knowing my family is enjoying the ride, there is peace in that, which is more valuable.

God Bless,