Sign in to follow this  
bennelli-banger

think I have found my next rig...

bennelli-banger
after much contemplation, research, sharpening of pencils, quizzing different folks, etc., I think I have found my next rig--2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 1LT 4 x 4 with  the 5.3L v8, crew cab, short box with the 3.42 rear axle...not a car guy, think I got it all correct.  I can buy it for $34,809 less my GM card earnings of $2300, then add tax, title, fees, etc, so I am driving away somewhere around $35,500.  As basic as I could get while still getting satellite radio and a few other things like 10 way adjustable drivers seat, tow package, and a few other items.  I otherwise was thinking of a 3 year old tahoe with around 30k mileage and buying it for the same price, with no warranty, 1/2 used tires, and not as much clearance or storage space.  I have realized time and again there is no perfect vehicle out there for me, but I think I am gonna enjoy being back in a truck! only one kid left in the house, but 3 labs, and most of my hunting pals have 1-2 labs, so I will routinely be transporting 4-5 labs and the two of us hunters.  I don't tow much, if ever, or use the truck for much more than hunting  trips and/or the annual trip to the lawn mower mechanic shop, moving a college student back/forth to school or home, etc.  But, when it needs to happen, I can get all 5 of us into a fairly comfy vehicle and get where we're going.   Nice to have a shiny new rig, I guess, but I am really not a fan of this.  FWIW, where i live, it looks like a 2 year old truck with 20-30k on it only saves me around 3-5k (real money, yes), but I lose the warranty soon, and need to spend another 1k on tires within a few years....Oh well, good, bad, or indifferent, looks like I am gonna be a truck owner again.

Brad Adrian
How short is the short box? Might limit dog transport. Mine is a 6.5 ft and no problems with 4 intermediate crates.

bennelli-banger
a little shorter than that, I believe...5' 8" I think...looks like enough room for what I will be doing, thanks for your input.

Don Steese
Good luck with your new wheels, hope you enjoy it!  You can pay  a lot more than that for a new truck these days. I'm gonna try to put another hundred thou on my 06 Ridgeline. Can't believe the price of vehicles today. Paid $22,000 for my first home and that included the lot, well, septic, and $1000 worth of landscaping!  :D

Brad Adrian
I would measure and make sure they fit one behind the other.

bobman

bb that's sounds pretty nice

I would get a tall cap and build a two story plywood dog box, 2 on the bottom row between the wheel wells and three wide on top for the 5 dogs.

dogrunner
Sounds too small for 3 to 5 labs and hunters and gear, ask me how I know.   :D

Doubleplay
bb that's sounds pretty nice

I would get a tall cap and build a two story plywood dog box, 2 on the bottom row between the wheel wells and three wide on top for the 5 dogs.

Not a bad idea however mileage will suffer with the tall cap and to be honest they look ugly..

Greg Hartman

Congrats!  Enjoy your new wheels!  Those are very nise looking trucks, too.  

I admit to suffering from truck envy as I rattle around in my old POS Jeep, but the price is right and it gets me there.

salmontogue

Is the Silverado a unit in dealer stock or will you be ordering?  You may want to take dog crates in the size you will be using to the dealership to see how they fit?  Another consideration to keep in mind is that prices drop when the next year's models are about to be introduced.  Last fall, I received an email from GM offering a 25% discount off MSRP on any half-ton gas pickup in stock at any dealership in the US.  It would be no surprise if they do that again.

Perk

polecat
Bought the same setup in June. Mine has the 6.5 box,double cab.I put a 4 inch higher than cab Jericho cap on.Gas mileage stayed the same.. The dogs may have liked the room of the crew cabs back seat.I can't wait to pull the boat again.

bennelli-banger

thanks for the good input, gents...appreciate it.  I currently have been hunting out of my saturn outlook, which is the same body style as the gmc acadia.  without a storage box on top, I normally hunt 2 of us with 5 labs and gear in this rig, albeit not with all the dogs in crates...usually 2 in crates and 3 free, which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea.  my cousin has this truck and he gets 2 crates in the back part of the cab...smaller female labs, like 2 of mine are, and my buddies are as well.  He puts two crates in the bed of his truck and straps them down with tow straps when he has dogs in the bed of his truck.  i have been purposely trending toward small females the last two dogs i have gotten for this reason...50-60 lb dogs are a lot easier than 75-85 lab males, and i REALLY like how they hunt!  I think my crates that I just ordered from "rough tuff" kennels are 32" long, so if i put 4 in the back of this  truck, I could get them in there it would seem to me, as the bed is 68" long.  7 of my (normal) 9 trips annually are to the same hunting camp where I store a fair amount of "stuff", so I don't need a ton of room for anything but dogs.  I gave up waterfowl hunting about a decade ago...too much stuff!  not enough walking behind my dogs.  

In sept of 2012 a buddy and I went to ND sharpy hunting with 4 labs in my chevy equinox...no car top carrier! Worked well, but again, no dog crates.  And, 20 minutes b4 departure, one of my labs got sprayed by a skunk!  did a quick clean up with an internet provided antidote of dishwashing soap, hydrogen peroxide, and what else?  I forget, but it worked!  600 MILES AND 4' from said dog...yes, a cracked window or two, but no huge deal...

truck is dealer stock..msrp is 45k+, about 11k of discounts before my gm card earnings...but good advice about the impact of 2017 models coming soon....

bennelli-banger
Congrats!  Enjoy your new wheels!  Those are very nise looking trucks, too.  

I admit to suffering from truck envy as I rattle around in my old POS Jeep, but the price is right and it gets me there.

I don't want to buy another vehicle, trust me...my saturn has not been a very reliable vehicle, I hate having vehicle anxiety when I am in the middle of nowhere, 500 or more miles from home...and, being a total idiot when it comes to mechanical issues...

Brad Adrian
Sounds like you have it covered. Some of the time I have 3 dogs in the cab and none in the bed. I always have at least one in the cab, I like dogs. In January, I drove back from Texas with 3 in the cab.

bennelli-banger
Sounds like you have it covered. Some of the time I have 3 dogs in the cab and none in the bed. I always have at least one in the cab, I like dogs. In January, I drove back from Texas with 3 in the cab.

I love it!  I will likely do the same...nothing on this earth that i like more than having one of my  tired hounds on the front passenger seat next to me when returning solo from a hunt...amazing how small a space they take up when curled up, sleeping...lots of grins...