• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Brad Eden

Help Figure Out New Board Topic

Brad Eden

As I mentioned in the Welcome Topic. Actually navigating this new board as an Adminsitrator and Member is new to me as well. I tried to test as much as I could through the Test and Final Conversion sessions, but the real test is when Members actually start to participate.

I anticipated many would have issues, and certainly they are popping up. Lets try and use this Topic to note problems we can address, me through Admin functions and Members who may have figured some stuff out and understand the different functions.

There are a myriad of "Permissions" and settings for various Groups and Board functions that I am tweaking and customizing, so generally things may change as we move along.

I do have access to this Boards peer to peer Help Forum and Support staff, but want to try and figure most out through trial and error and only want to use Support for egregious problems.

Im still figuring out the Messaging (PM) system which appears to be more "conversation" than static messages etc. The Chat function may be cool, but I like things simple so if a distraction could be disabled, etc. 

Brad Eden

Although I have the 'sign in' (log in) set for 5 attempts before being locked out for 5 minutes, it is only allowing 2 attempts. I have access to am IPS Board community help forum and posed this issue there, before submitting a 'ticket' to Support.

Brad Eden

Although the Contributing Member Group has some fluid upload/posting of photos functions, using photohost sites like photobucket and URL's accessed there will also work. As well as .com stored photos as seen below.

15wcgrouse.jpg

Cooter Brown

Brad, do you intend for this thread to address navigational and functional issues only or to include things we simply don't like?  If we can include the latter I've never been wild about "Like" buttons, "Community Status", etc.  Seems sort of "High School Confidential".  I realize of course that boards like this these days are taking a lot of cues from social media and I am thouroghly out of touch with that world.

I used Photobucket to download pics and it worked fine.  I always crop, adjust contrast, resize etc. and upload to PB.

Overall the site is easy to navigate and use.  A couple of things I've run into:

The ability to edit a post seems to go away pretty quickly.  I posted some pics in the "Dog Pictures" thread and wanted to add another.  Just a very few minutes later I tried and the "Edit" button was gone.  There might be a way to extend the time a user has to edit a post.  In addition when you make an edit it leaves a trail ("something like "Post edited X hours ago").  Personally I'd like my edits to be hidden and my effusions to seem as if they sprung forth fully formed from my little brain.

Greg pointed out in that thread that there is a lack of a "Preview" option.  That's not a huge deal but it's a handy thing to have when putting together a long PE.  Like the "Edit" trail that may or may not be an option that can be turned on and off.

I'm going to poke around and see if there is a way to turn off audible notifications--there is a "bedoop" sound occasionally, I think when someone posts in a thread you've posted in or likes you or perhaps for other things.

When you quote a post, only the latest text is quoted.  In other words, when you quoted me last night I quoted you again, and the text box in your comment containing my post was not included in the quote.  So the test string (my original post) putting your comment in context was not there.  Of course it is much easier to do multiple quotes.  That's something I didn't even bother with at the old site.

None of these things are huge issues.

Cooter Brown

Edit function already gone from my last post.

I figured out how to turn off the "bedoop" audible notification.

Upper right click on pull down menu by user name, go to Account Settings, then Notification Settings.  There's an option to "Play a sound..." or not.

I was able to edit this one but I got back in a hurry.

Edited by Cooter Brown

Brad Eden

PIA...

Cooter Brown
2 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

PIA...

Profoundly Important Account?

Brad Eden

From Welcome Topic:

I WILL ASK THIS. I'm not looking for anyone to 'Beta Test' this new board necessarily. Ive spent considerable time trying to resolve problems and don't have the energy to be piled on. In other words please don't go crazy uploading huge amounts of photos, videos etc., etc. Id prefer we just carry on with some finesse, and deal with issues and hurdles as they occur....calmly and methodically.

Coot must have missed this when he READ my Welcome to Board Topic....yuck, yuck...but actually I suppose I need to be faced with all this...just be patient...please.

I may keep Like button, so i can at least compete with Facebook.

I detest rating people and posts so when i find that will disable it.

No answer on Preview

No answer on Quoting--actually tell us how to do multiple Quotes Coot?

I extended C-Members ability to edit posts from 5 minutes to 15 for time being, may just disable that for that Group.

I will disable the line that indicates a post has been edited when I find it.

If you click the Notification Bell icon up top and click Notification settings, you can turn of the beep when being notified...but i thought you pointing guys who hang 8 lbs of electronics on our poor dogs neck would like that feature.xD

Cooter Brown

The multiple quotes feature is the "+" symbol next to the "Quote" button.  Couldn't be simpler.  That's a very handy feature and I couldn't figure out a way to do it on the old site that wasn't a major task.

I figured out the "bedoop" issue.

Extending time to edit is good.  Why limit time at all?

I am quite calm and methodical.  And my dog is an electronics whiz.

All in all this place seem to work well with a lot of nice stuff.  I'm impressed with how seamlessly this was accomplished.

Brad Eden
11 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Extending time to edit is good.  Why limit time at all?...

Seriously...after 14 years at this...allow some Members to cover there tracks when things get sketchy?, or go delete entire Replies rendering topics out of context when they get pissed off...usually at me. Its a product of human nature, managing personalities and Moderating. But, I my disable that for certain Groups.

Its in fact a miracle we appear to have a reasonably intact 14 year old Board. IPS was the only modern board that would do a conversion from the old ikonboard Software/board. Two totally different platforms. I put their Custom Services through some paces. Let me tell ya.

Its still a process.

Brad Eden

Of note. Depending on the size of your computer screen, this board automatically adjusts between regular view and Mobile view (Not sure if that can be adjusted). I have a huge iMac and when I scale the browser/board down to a certain point it switches to mobile view. Naturally the mobile view is what is needed on some tablets and all Smart phones. Same functionality just set up differently.

Brad Eden

So far the majority of Members are able to Sign In without issue. But there have been some issues with others. Naturally they cant read this...I am resetting Passwords or assigning new ones for this board as I get requests via old UJ PM or email etc.

This is exactly why I cant just open the floodgates, but need to populate this board slowly.

3springs

Earlier I had a bit of trouble logging on. Came back this afternoon and got straight in, no problems.

The site looks very nice.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Brad Eden

It looks like the majority are able to log in with old UJ Password. For some reason some cant. I am resetting PW's for them. I sent an email to the Custom Services who did the Conversion about this. Not sure if this can be fixed. I might be spending the next month frigging with Passwords instead of turkey hunting.

Snipeaholic

Go turkey hunting.