FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Kansas Bound

Tires, Tires, Tires

Kansas Bound

I am going to get some new rubber on the F150 hunting rig.  I have it narrowed down to BFG KO2 and Bridgestone Revo 2's

My question is should I get LT or P tires?  How many people run P's and never have problems?  I was leaning towards LT's but didn't know if the ride is that much worse.

VizslavsBird

P tires will not hold up to rocks or sticks poking the sidewalls.

dogrunner

I got 10 plys last year for my F150 and they worked out great load E range .  Others will get poked by sticks and rocks out west will punch through many light tires ask me how I know.

Bonasa Hunter

I have used both before and now run General's on my Excursion. I like them better, traction/wear  and price.

Windrider

I had Ps on my buck-fifty from the factory.  Regu

ar hunting lease duty broke them down in 14k.  Totally trashed.  Went to LT and was very happy with the longevity result.

Just because it says 80psi on the sidewall doesn't mean you have to or need to run them that high.  Run them at the standard Pmressure or probably a little lower and they won't ride harsh.

sneem

My F-150 FX4 came with P tires. Seemed to make no sense to me to have an off road vehicle shod with passenger tires. Took them to a local tire dealer who gave me a nice rebate on Goodyear AT/X in LT. I'm now working on my third set. If you have a 4X4 and do any hard or off road driving, LT are the only logical tires to get.

UplandKS

If you drive any gravel at all, I would recommend the LT tires.  I have the same set of Michelins on both of my trucks (10 ply on my truck and 4 ply on my company supplied work truck) and don't notice any difference in ride quality.  If you're using it as your hunting rig, I would go heavier than the 4 ply's.  It seems that the only options in the 265/70/17's that are so popular on many of the newer trucks only come in 4 or 10 ply.  I always go with 10 when given a choice.   Nothing worse on a Sunday of hunting than a flat with no tire shop open.  

Natty Bumpo

BFG has hit a home run with the new generation KO2 ATs. I put a set on my F150 last summer and they are clearly superior in my world to either Revos or Dual Tracs, which I have also run before. Much improved over the first generation BFG KOs. Go with the 10 ply for the reasons stated above. Local tire store can't keep them in stock. 

max2

My silverado 1500 came with 4 ply P rated tires. I put revo 2    10ply on it .when the original tires were done At first the ride felt a lot stiffer/rougher . I now have about ten thousand miles on the revo's . I like them.  

fourtrax57

P=Passenger, Passenger = car tires for hard roads only.

OldSarge

I have Wrangler ATX on my F250 because I use it in the woods quite a bit. 10 ply. They wear like iron, but do ride a little stiff. No puncture issues though.

V__3341.jpg

Kansas Bound
5 hours ago, Natty Bumpo said:

BFG has hit a home run with the new generation KO2 ATs. I put a set on my F150 last summer and they are clearly superior in my world to either Revos or Dual Tracs, which I have also run before. Much improved over the first generation BFG KOs. Go with the 10 ply for the reasons stated above. Local tire store can't keep them in stock. 

How is the noise going down the road?

jeff88

On my '04 expedition and '95 explorer, ran LT M+S exclusively since they went off road pretty often and reclaimed strip mining tracks were pretty rugged & rocky.  Never had a flat off road.  With the explorer I canned the oem firestones pretty quickly and went to Michelin, then Dunlop LT's.  I liked the ride/noise better with the Dunlops, the wear was better with the Michelins though the cost/wear ratio was break even with the Dunlops.  On the Expedition I really liked the oem Continentals and used them exclusively.  Never got less than 50k on a set, 60k on one set.  On my current SUV, and MDX, I just canned the oem "P" Michelins at 30k and replaced them with Pirelli Scorpions which are better in every respect.  This SUV will not go off-road on anything worse than Nat'l Forest roads which are unimproved gravel and dirt.  Perhaps today if ordering LTs  for an off-roader like my Fords, I'd look into the BFG tires.  One resource that I find really helpful is the TireRack customer review sections for tires.  That's why I got the Pirellis, the reviews were highly positive.  I've been ordering tires from them since the early 1980's and they are a real customer-focused outfit.  BTW, once I get new tires I go straight to Firestone to mount them and get a lifetime warranty on alignments, rotations and wheel balances.  They see me every 5k miles with this.  I paid $190 with tax each for both of our cars to have this program and its worth every penny you won't spend on replacing tires - you can easily get 15k or higher miles on your sets by doing this as well as checking and/or adjusting tire pressure every two weeks. 

Natty Bumpo
2 hours ago, Kansas Bound said:

How is the noise going down the road?

Well, like many others here, I have some hearing loss, but FWIW, its about the same as the OEM Good Year Wrangler ATs. Not at all bothersome. More importantly, Mrs Bumpo approves. And right in the same ball park as the Revos and Dual Tracs too.

Went all over "Back of Beyond" in 'da UP last fall and did great in the snows last winter too. Best AT tire I've ever had on my F150s and I've had all the top brands.

Hub

I have the BFG AT K02  and I really like them.  They are great for driving 'off road' in heavy snow while ice fishing, and for driving in the mud and sludge on logging roads while grouse hunting.  I think their noise is on par with everything else I've had.  I only have like 20,000 miles on them so the Jury is still out on how long they last.