FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Kansas Bound

Tires, Tires, Tires

UpnorthmichCCR
On 5/12/2016 at 7:41 AM, fourtrax57 said:

P=Passenger, Passenger = car tires for hard roads only.

Not exactly...

UpnorthmichCCR

So here is how the P vs LT deal works. 

They represent two different way of measuring load carrying capacity for the tire that is being manufactured. (P) is plyametric (p-metric) while (LT) is measured by using sidewall ply rating. For example a tire can be LT- C, D, E, F, G  which C= 6 ply,  D=8 ply, E= 10 ply, and so on. Most important is that a 2500 and up vehicle has to have at least load range "E" 10 ply where a 1500 truck can use any load range including P-metric. 

That being said there is a difference in ride quality between a P-metric tire and LT tire and the LT tire typically with be tougher in the sidewall and hold up better to the two tracks we all love!!

Yeah I am a tire and car repair guy in my day job!!

12ette

Late to the party, Cooper ATW if you wanna drive in the snow.  Check out Canadian Tire, they did some testing and the are the best AT tire in the snow.  KO2s.... not for snow.  

Another good tire for snow is Kuhmo A51 they like the Cooper ATW have the Mountain Snowflake rating.  

Flush

FYI the new KO2s do have the Moutain/Snowflake rating. Personally I'm not sure how much stock I put in that rating? I'm not sure how the tests are done, but I believe it has more to do with slow speeds in deep snow. I care more about higher speeds on hard-packed snow/ice.

I just ordered a set of Kuhmo AT51s due in large part to them getting good reviews in icy conditions, which I end up driving in a lot. 

Natty Bumpo
1 hour ago, Flush said:

FYI the new KO2s do have the Mountain/Snowflake rating. snow/ice.

They most certainly do.

We have all kinds of snow here six months of the year i.e.. Lake Effect Central. Have had a set on my F150 Off-Road truck for 18 months. Very happy with the KO2s as an all round AT tire.

martyg

I've had Bridgestone AT Revos for a decade now. I used to guide in Mongolia, and the guys who can afford to drive whatever they want (gov officials, mine ownership / management) drive diesel Land Cruisers w Bridgestones. Four wheel is the real deal there. Not the pussified version in the US.

I find that the tires are a great compromise in all conditions from rock to highway to snow. For ice I rock my GTI w / studded snow tires.

Flush

I have had several sets of the old KOs and while there was lots to like about them, I always felt they were poor in hardpack/icy conditions. 

Perhaps the KO2s are noticeably better?

I literally just ordered a set of new tires earlier today and I was considering going with the KO2s but they were a full 50% more money than the Kuhmo AT51s in my size.

I just can't imagine they are 50% better, the reviews certainly don't support it.

I did have a set of AT Revos once. They were certainly a "good" tire, but I wasn't blown away, especially in the longevity department.

blanked

My research shows the new ko2s have very poor tread life

12ette
13 hours ago, Flush said:

FYI the new KO2s do have the Moutain/Snowflake rating. Personally I'm not sure how much stock I put in that rating? I'm not sure how the tests are done, but I believe it has more to do with slow speeds in deep snow. I care more about higher speeds on hard-packed snow/ice.

I just ordered a set of Kuhmo AT51s due in large part to them getting good reviews in icy conditions, which I end up driving in a lot. 

13 hours ago, Flush said:

Stand corrected.  I was watching the Canadian Tire review of LT tires, Snow, Snow Bias and AT.  The AT was the KO2 and it performed poorly, and as they did not run it in the "snow Bias" section I thought it was not mountain snowflake.    Did get to play with the Coopers this week, we had a bit of weather.  Gripped nice and stopped very well on ice and pack. 

12ette

Stand corrected.  I was watching the Canadian Tire review of LT tires, Snow, Snow Bias and AT.  The AT was the KO2 and it performed poorly, and as they did not run it in the "snow Bias" section I thought it was not mountain snowflake.    Did get to play with the Coopers this week, we had a bit of weather.  Gripped nice and stopped very well on ice and pack. 

Natty Bumpo
5 hours ago, 12ette said:

Pick your own experts................

I'll pick Tire Rack. Tire Rack has 137 Ratings/Reviews on the KO2's; other sites have trivial numbers. The BFG AT KO2s is the #1 rated Truck/SUV AT tire out of #17 different similar tires rated by TR. Including highest rated in both light and heavy snow categories. I'll rest my case.

I suspect this thread will run on for another six pages or longer before the weekend is done.   B|    Have fun guys .............

Edited by Natty Bumpo
Addl Info

JWP58

Keep in mind  some people get paid to spam sites such as tire rack with "reviews".