blanked

Magnetic car hide a key

blanked

Any input on a good one.  For the extra large size.  Home Depot quality brands falling off

Iver

Save your money.  clean a part of the underside of the car and duct tape a key to it.   one of those valet keys works great. 

Cooter Brown

I use one of those light carabiner type clips and hook it to something on the frame or body, up out of the way so it doesn't catch on anything.

trust me

Zip tie to a brake line.  Flop down in the mud with a pocketknife, you got your key.

Snipeaholic
1 hour ago, trust me said:

Zip tie to a brake line.  Flop down in the mud with a pocketknife, you got your key.

This^. Double up the zip ties.

gunsrus

Used to zip tie all the time . New cars have (keys) that aren't keys and cost $200+ . What now ?

SEPAlander
1 hour ago, gunsrus said:

Used to zip tie all the time . New cars have (keys) that aren't keys and cost $200+ . What now ?

Most cars still collie with a valet key, use the valet key; it's still a "key" without the fob and all the other stuff coded onto it.  Could still be zip tied.  Otherwise guess we're back to the OP and looking for a hide a key with an extra strong magnet.

JK SE PA

Al, look for a small pelican case.  They are waterproof and pretty damned tough.  put key inside and then zip tie it somewhere or stash somehow. You could probably epoxy one to the inside of the front bumper on most vehicles.

OH Grouser

Guess I'll be the lone dissenter here, I've used a magnetic case on my trucks for years. Just put it on top of the frame and have never had any problem losing it. Magnetic box on top of horizontal metal = good, attached to verticle metal = bad. The one I have has about a 1" diameter magnet, got it at an auto parts store.

Dealer quoted me $170 for another spare key, so I ran a test for a few weeks before comitting my only extra key to the magnetic box this time around. Also, I went to a locksmith and had them laser cut a similar key blank with no chip in it, then I cut the plastic head off / drilled the metal and put it on a key ring on my lanyard. Cost about $20, and works to unlock my truck door and cap door, so I leave my real keys locked in the truck when hunting or fishing.

Hmm, guess I better be sure the magnetic box is still there since I've probably jinxed myself now.

Roger  

polecat

I use 2 strands of stainless wire to the frame.got a 3rd laser cut key from the dealer for $40 bucks in the first year(their policy).Some not to old models you can get a key made that will work on the door only.Have needed both types in the recent past.

Remo

You know a guy should review where he puts the spare. I have the magnetic box on the truck someplace but can't remember now. Some years ago I was coming back from a phez hunt in a bad snow storm when I came upon 4 young guys standing outside their truck. They left it run when stopping for a whiz call and their GSP hit the door lock. Cold ride home for them with a broken window.

EllieGSP

Had great luck with the velcro style hide-a-key.   Silicone the velcro part to the inside of cleaned body panel/fender.  Easy to get to when you remember where it is.  Put the programmed ignition key hidden in the interior of the truck, and then use a cheap non-programmed key which only opens the door in the hide-a-key.  This way, if you lose it, etc. you are not out the funds of the programmed key.  Plus you typically need two programmed keys to program a third key without seeking a dealership.

Key.jpg

topdog1961

Like Gouser, I've never had an issue with cheap magnetic key holders when placed on top of non moving part, away from road wash. 

Jack L

I put one in a case behind my hitch cover .

max2

......call on~star and ask them to open the door :D