• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Chesepeakes_Man

Sportdog 2.0 LT (Canadian Version)

Chesepeakes_Man

I am about to pull the trigger on buying a Sportdog  2.0 LT. I like a lot of features on the Garmin Alpha but it comes down to Garmin is not legal in Canada and I just don't want the hassle of it all. One thing the Alpha has is a remote temperature sensor that you can put out in your kennels or wherever. I read through the Sportdog manual and I don't see this option. I am assuming it is not available. The other things that swayed my decision is Sportdog claims to have a longer range and one additional year of warranty and the controls are not on a touch screen like the Alpha. 

What else will I like about the Sportdog and what accessories do you recommend ? (Yes I have done a search and read lots of the threads on this forum)

Thanks in advance for you input Dale 

ddack

Dale, Don't know if this will be any help to you but I will throw out my 2 cents. Sportdogs tec 2.0 is a tracking (gps) or track and train (gps/e-collar). Not sure on the Canadian version but have friends who hunt and field trial hard that have the track and train unit and like them very much.

Don

Chesepeakes_Man

I picked up a TEK 2.0 LT today. I had to call Sportdog and I can't say enough about the customer service I received. I  have a few weeks now to play with this before I head to Montana. It seems  to be a nice study outfit and so far am pretty impressed with it.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Dale

Iver

I have had one for about 8 months.  Love it.   Take it out in the parks where you can see the response time between your pooch pointing and the unit display.   Check out the compass screen with and without a waypoint so that you can figure that out.   Also there are so many configurations on sounds, vibrations and beeps that playing around with that before you go will ensure you have it set up to your liking.

If yous is the track and train.. get to know how to set the defaults on the training.. and on which screen you can change the settings... as many screens just utilize the "settings you made" versus allow on the fly changes.

figure out how to mark your truck, clear the breadcrumbs and reset the trip stats...   

these are all things that I have spent abit of time getting used to so that I can just set it and forget it when hunting.

ps. canadian is exactly the same as US but it comes with English/French instructions.   Enjoy.

Chesepeakes_Man

Iver,

Thanks for the good tips.

Dale 

Chesepeakes_Man

I just got back home and am playing around with the TEK 2.0 and I really like i so far. Easy to use and program.

Dale 

Brookieslayer

have had mine for 10 months, love it for keeping an eye on my pups. It has good range and update rates. I too was buying a Garmin, and cannot as I live north of the 49th... looking forward to using it this season!

Quailbum

I like sportdog. While I use the 1.0 on my dogs, I have had only one issue. One of the original units would not hold a charge for more than about 6 hours. They replaced it overnight. I was on a week trip for desert quail, it was waiting for me at the motel front desk the next afternoon. In full disclosure I believe in simplicity. I have 3 training collars from them, 2 are still running (if I would bother turning them on) after 10 years. I know the 1.0 has worked for me in all terrain types, and have taken a beating over the last 2  seasons.

Chesepeakes_Man

My handheld would not take a charge so I had to make a 7 hour round trip to take it back and get a new one today. Sportdog was excellent to deal with and were ready to mail me a new handheld but I choose to exchange it at the retailers to save time.

Dale  

Chesepeakes_Man

I have been having alot of problems with my TEK 2.0. The screen often goes black and I can't do anything with the buttons. I have to pull the battery out and restart it. Yesterday I could not get any of the functions working so I called Sportdog customer service and they said I have to "update" it and then they can help. When I got home I connected to the computer and it was all up to date. It really put a damper on my training day and I am none to happy.

This is the second one I have had. The first one I returned for other problems. I think I am going to take this one back and get a Garmin Alpha.

Very frustrating.

Dale 

Chesepeakes_Man
On 2/12/2017 at 7:42 AM, Chesepeakes_Man said:

I have been having alot of problems with my TEK 2.0. The screen often goes black and I can't do anything with the buttons. I have to pull the battery out and restart it. Yesterday I could not get any of the functions working so I called Sportdog customer service and they said I have to "update" it and then they can help. When I got home I connected to the computer and it was all up to date. It really put a damper on my training day and I am none to happy.

This is the second one I have had. The first one I returned for other problems. I think I am going to take this one back and get a Garmin Alpha.

Very frustrating.

Dale 

Screen still goes black and the frustration is ongoing. 

dogrunner

Not sure how they stay in business with all there issues. 

RuffChaser

I have been using my TEK 2.0 for about 6 weeks with no issues at all. I have 3 collars and have been switching them between the 3 dogs to make sure they all get some use as my oldest doesn't hunt all that much. I won't be using it for a few weeks while the deer season is going on but so far I am very happy with it.

Chesepeakes_Man

On going problems with the screen going black, the retailer would not let me return it and Sportdog says I have to return it to the retailer who is now out of business. All within the warranty period. If I was going to do it all over again I would go with Garmin Alpha. Some guy's in Canada say the Garmin won't work up here but I have talked to several guy's running them and they say no problems at all, even after firmware updates.

gunsrus

I've had issues with Sport Dog and their customer service . There have been prior threads where I've posted the problem . I will never buy another Sport Dog product , eventually customer service will tell you to pound sand . If you want more info , pm me .