REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
rolawson

Garmin 430

Dave Quindt

Craig Doherty

I'm sure Garmin is already working on the receivers and collars that will replace the 430 and the Alpha 100 (although a lot of features get added to the Alpha via software updates).  Market saturation is always a problem for a a product like this and if you don't move forward you end up like Tracker and just fade away.  We have an aftermarket tablet that we can pair with the Alpha and it allows us to view all the data on the Alpha on the tablet screen in the truck.  It's great for finding our way back to covers and keeping track of roads that aren't on topo maps.  It is not seamless nor was it necessarily intuitive to use.  I assume the Garmin dedicated device will work much better.  The hound guys who track their dogs from their trucks will be all over it (And as much as I hate to admit it, the hound guys are a much bigger market).  If you read over the literature the 430 does not support any of the DC 20, 30, and 40 collars.  That's the other way big companies increase sales -- they abandon early technology for improved new technology.  I still use an Alpha that was one of the first review models available, have newer one as a back-up. but have (what I consider) upgraded all my collars to the minis -- 3 mini TT 15 and 1 mini T 5 for trials.  I still have some things I wish they'd change on the Alpha and when they come out with the next version I will no doubt upgrade that as well.

rolawson

I am out. My 320 will support all collars at the moment. Don't understand why the new and improved 430 does not. All of my buddies still use the 220 with dc 30 and dc 40 collars. Don't want to be the odd ball in the weeds.

Crazy Horse

So now you can track 20 dogs, or maybe just your 2 dogs and your hunting buddies 2 dogs and possibly all the cats in the neighborhood and you can even outfit a collar for each of your kids and still have room for another collar or two to track your kids cars.

Ain't technology great. Then again for $25 or $30 bucks you can buy a real good bell.

On 6/19/2016 at 9:36 PM, Crazy Horse said:

So now you can track 20 dogs, or maybe just your 2 dogs and your hunting buddies 2 dogs and possibly all the cats in the neighborhood and you can even outfit a collar for each of your kids and still have room for another collar or two to track your kids cars.

Ain't technology great. Then again for $25 or $30 bucks you can buy a real good bell.

How well does a bell work on point? Or on a big running dog? Or in trials? 

I don't put a dog down without GPS. 

Crazy Horse

I trained my dog to hunt close. That works for me. I do collar him with a beeper and shock collar, but rarely use the shocker. If he gets out of hearing range I give him a couple hits with the vibrator and he knows to come back. As for when he's on point, most times I can see him or else I just head off in the direction I last saw him and hit the beeper.

I have to wonder what the hell hunters did prior to the electronic age???

406dn

A GPS collar is a terrific tool for any pointing dog owner.  They enable you to hunt with minimal hacking of the dog. So long as the dog goes with you generally, you don't need to hack on the dog because you know where they are and if they are on point. If I could only have one, a shock collar or a GPS unit  to train a young dog, I'd pick the GPS collar.

Perhaps the best consequence of one is they help convince the handler that their dog is hunting well even when you can't visually know it. 

4 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I trained my dog to hunt close. That works for me. I do collar him with a beeper and shock collar, but rarely use the shocker. If he gets out of hearing range I give him a couple hits with the vibrator and he knows to come back. As for when he's on point, most times I can see him or else I just head off in the direction I last saw him and hit the beeper.

I have to wonder what the hell hunters did prior to the electronic age???

I don't want mine hunting close, and hate hearing a beeper. 

I'm friends with a older pro trainer, (I'm young, and didn't grow up hunting)and asked him once. He said they lost more dogs, more often, and more got hurt or never came back. 

airmedic1

I bought the Astro 220 years ago after I "lost" our Welshie and our old GSP in tall CRP beside a highway.  The wind was howling and I don't think they could hear the whistle or me calling.  I don't think they were ever lost and probably weren't more than 30-40 yards from me but it was a long 30 minutes before I had them back.  I don't hunt without a GPS collar ever, but I don't wander around looking at the screen either.  It's nice though to be able to pull it out and see where they are at all times.  

It's also handy for the old GSP who doesn't hear well now.  Since she is almost completely deaf I wouldn't be able to take her.

I hunted with bells for a long time and like tradition but things like GPS collars for your dog are a big improvement over the way it used to be.  I look at it them just like I do my clothes, boots and vehicles, they are all better now than when I was a kid.

AM

GSPpurist

I think the GPS collar is the best device ever created.  I was a tried and true Dogtra beeper collar user.  Always could see or hear my dogs on the ND prairie.  Once I moved to Idaho, I never could hear the beeper because of the chukar hills/wind (my hearing is still good).  The grouse woods here are THICK.  I can't usually see farther than 20 -50 feet once I leave the road and definitely can't see the truck.   I no longer get concerned when I can't see my dogs.  Also the tracking feature lets me know when they are working an area because back-tracking usally means they are tracking running birds.  

Now the only issue is when my dogs are taking a dump, it tells me they are on point...reverse point.

FWIW