REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MilRob

Classic Cars--- 73 Pontiac Ventura

MilRob

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1973 Pontiac Ventura from a buddy.  I know it is not a popular classic ride but the price reflects that.  It has a knock in the 350 but it comes with a 455 that is almost complete.  Tranny was recently rebuilt.  Just needs a set of heads and to be assembled/installed.  I have the room to store it and the body is almost completely rust free.  Kind of think it will be fun to swap motors and drive it..Maybe if it grows on me a future paint job.  I have a 62 buick skylark right now but it is just a cruiser aka no power at all.  I might give the skylark to a buddy and buy this one.   I have not had the chance to get over and take a closer look but it looks pretty clean from the text he sent me.   

04532CD8-F1EF-4E24-B558-A7D6B1D6316E_zps

If I buy the ventura I will give my skylark to a different friend.  I was given the car and I got it fixed up and running better.  Might be time to pass it onto another friend.

6FE6DCB1-8797-46DF-885A-29645E0C1889_zps

Virgil Kane

Cool cars !

My buddy back in the 70's had a 62 Skylark with the Buick 215 V-8 engine. A gutless wonder but it was a cool looking car, your looks in great shape. I don't know much about the Vertura but I sure could mistake that side view as a 1969 Chevelle. Nice and clean looking car!

Virgil

Dakota Dogman

That Buick would make Maxwell Smart, proud!

Nice looking cars.

God Bless,

Rockdoc

Back in the early 1970's, before I went back to college and became a geologist, I spent three years working as a car salesman (Lincolns and Mercury's to be exact). In my opinion American cars built during that time period were crap and are the main reason that the Japanese and other foreign countries were able to capture such a huge market share so quickly. I'm literally ashamed to say that it's  embarrassing for me to admit selling such junk.

Steve

FWIW and thanks largely to high quality foreign competition American built cars are much better today.

trust me

All the Chevelles, Camaros and Mustangs are bought up, now the Mopar cars are disappearing.  Your Ventura will make a nice little street rod, and that 455 will be no slouch. I'd go for it.

A friend has a 74 Nova that is clean as a can be, doesn't really turn heads though because it's a Nova...until he sticks his foot in that 454 monster under the hood.  Oh man...

frak

My MIL, a little old lady with white hair and a German accent had that 454 Nova.  She used it to go to the grocery store and back.

EDIT: no intent to mislead, I think it might have been a 350 and it was a Malibu now that I think about it.  But still, my MIL had offers on that car every time she filled it up.  

Edited by frak
Corrections

gunut

Id stay with the Buick.....

2shot

My first car was a 1974 Olds Omega. If I remember correctly the Chevrolet Nova, Pontiac Ventura, Oldsmobile Omega and Buick Appolo were essentially the same car back then. My Omega was the "S" model. It was a hatchback that came with the stripe package, all black interior with bucket seats and console shifter, color keyed wheels like the ones found on Cutlass's of that era all powered by a 350 Rocket. I still miss that car.

grousehunter 61

Nice looking ride, go for it.........

Chesepeakes_Man

Go for it ! It looks like a cool car. I had a buddy that had Olds Supreme s w/ 455 CI and they went pretty good. We outran the cops plenty back in the day !

Dale   

Dave in Maine

Yeah  - the Ventura is just a Nova with a few different cosmetic touches.

I had a 74 Nova with 350 and 4 barrel for my second car.  Tromp on the gas and it would throw your head back, almost snap your neck. 

Kids today, you tell them "it had a 4 barrel" and they have no idea.  They don't even know what a carburetor is.

My first car was a 61 Olds F-85, basically the same as your Skylark or the Pontiac Tempest.  Also had the 215 V-8.  That engine had the distinction of being the first aluminum block in a US made engine.  It also powered the Triumph TR7 from the early 80s.  The prior owner had converted 3 on the tree to 3 on the floor (when you could do those sorts of things) and put in a tach.  It burbled, idling at about 700-800 rpm.   Loved that car, but who doesn't love their first car?   Like most cars from that timeframe, it gave up the ghost at about 100k miles and my dad got rid of it (his name on the title) and got the Nova.

Both good rides, but I might lean toward the Nova just b/c it seemed a bit safer - able to get out of tight spots quickly with all that acceleration.

MilRob

Well I am going to get the Ventura.  A friend is going to come over and teach/build the 455 for me. The Buick is a really cool car but parts are non existent and it looks good from 50 ft but it is rotting away.  I gave the Buick to a friend of mine and he was happy to drive it away.  This Ventura has very minor rust, newly rebuilt tranny, a second set of rims and tires, and parts are everywhere.  Should be fun when I get the 455 built and installed.    

mcgreg
On June 26, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Dave in Maine said:

Yeah  - the Ventura is just a Nova with a few different cosmetic touches.

I had a 74 Nova with 350 and 4 barrel for my second car.  Tromp on the gas and it would throw your head back, almost snap your neck. 

Kids today, you tell them "it had a 4 barrel" and they have no idea.  They don't even know what a carburetor is.

My first car was a 61 Olds F-85, basically the same as your Skylark or the Pontiac Tempest.  Also had the 215 V-8.  That engine had the distinction of being the first aluminum block in a US made engine.  It also powered the Triumph TR7 from the early 80s.  The prior owner had converted 3 on the tree to 3 on the floor (when you could do those sorts of things) and put in a tach.  It burbled, idling at about 700-800 rpm.   Loved that car, but who doesn't love their first car?   Like most cars from that timeframe, it gave up the ghost at about 100k miles and my dad got rid of it (his name on the title) and got the Nova.

Both good rides, but I might lean toward the Nova just b/c it seemed a bit safer - able to get out of tight spots quickly with all that acceleration.

My bud had a 2 door 62 f85 with the 215 v8 and 3 on the tree. Nice car, no kidding. But it was not the first all aluminum block us engine,  i believe corvair was. Had 2 of em, they were a pos for sure.

MilRob

Well I picked up the Ventura.  A little more rust and bondo on the lower quarter panels than I thought but for $1500 figured it was still a cheap way to get a soon to be muscle car.  Started pulling the 350 apart and researching how to build the 455.  

FF3B73A5-FA2A-40AF-AF55-096E61BD3682_zps

F846E4BD-C3B6-4F14-808D-5388E02168ED_zps

Dave in Maine

That's what the top of an engine should look like.

Seriously, though, the fenders on those Nova/Omega/Ventura models from that time frame rot while you look at them.