REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Pinecobleguy

Anyone wear a Garmin Fenix while hunting?

Pinecobleguy

Just picked up a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and am really looking forward to using some of the features and functionality this fall. The GPS backtrack feature will hopefully allow me to leave my hand held at home; the ability to mark and upload waypoints from my wrist has interesting possibilities; and, the ability to track distance, heart rate, VO2 and calories burned should be interesting as well. Does anyone already use one while hunting?

MilRob

I also just bought a fenix 3 and I am looking forward to the same things. 

cockerfan

I had one for a while. Around 30 degrees it would get condensation under the glass. Turns out that was a common problem at the time. I returned it after using for a few months. 

I liked it for the most part. It was convenient and also fun to track total distance walked (11.5 miles in the grouse woods one day!)

What I didn't like was that it didn't have roads or anything else on the screen. If I forgot to turn the gps on before I left the truck, or didn't have a waypoint, there was nothing to reference when I turned it on in the middle of the woods. 

mebgerm

I just bought one as well. What sold me was the connectivity with the Alpha collar it was confusing to get connected, but works really well.  There where many times last year I was holding the alpha to find my dog on point in thick popples.  Should be way easier to just look at your wrist.

BIGSP

Have you used the Alpha and Fenix together? 

Are you using the Beta software or is the new software out for the fenix?

I bought the fenix and used the Beta Software and was extremely disappointed in how it worked or lack there of.  No point indicator and the distance was consistently incorrect by hundreds of yards.

mebgerm

I have used them together.  I'm using the Beta version software and it basically just mirrors the handheld-so same accuracy.  I am also disappointed that there is no point alert, but have the alert on the handheld to vibrate/tone when the dog is on point-so not a huge deal.  Garmin also had no eta on the official software release.     Definitely room for improvement, but happy with it so far.

BIGSP
9 hours ago, mebgerm said:

I have used them together.  I'm using the Beta version software and it basically just mirrors the handheld-so same accuracy.  I am also disappointed that there is no point alert, but have the alert on the handheld to vibrate/tone when the dog is on point-so not a huge deal.  Garmin also had no eta on the official software release.     Definitely room for improvement, but happy with it so far.

Have you used it with multiple dogs at the same time?  Mine works perfect with one dog down but, not at all when I have 2 or 3 down at the same time.  Please take a minute and call Garmin to tell them that the point alarm doesn't go off on the watch.  Steve Snells version on Gun Dog Supply.com video tutorial showed that it would have a point indicator.  The more people that call in and voice their frustrations the better the next software version will be.

BIGSP

I just received a notice that there is an update for the Fenix.  Let's see how well it works!

mebgerm

So the latest Garmin Beta (7.52) is supposed to include notifications (e.g. when dog is on point).  I installed the update, but can't get the Fenix to show the alerts.  I talked with Garmin for about 30 minutes, but we couldn't get it to work.  Anyone getting the notifications to work?

BIGSP

I haven't tried the new beta.  I would get alerts when it lost communication but, not a point alert.