• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
ANF grousin

The ultimate UJ Gathering

Clueless1

Looks like I missed out on a great time. 

dogrunner

Looks like a good time. I hope Dickie gave you a much needed lesson.

hayslope

Looks like a great time..........especially with that mess of crabs!!

DAP

Some random bullet points from the gathering.

• Dickie's crabs were phenomenal again this year.  
  • Bird numbers were a bit disappointing. As a group I think we found 14 grouse and 12 woodcock this past weekend.  Checking my notes from the "early years", we had 74 woodcock and 2 grouse up in 2011 and 8 woodcock and  34 grouse in 2012.
  • I was pleasantly surprised to see the younger guys.  RuffBritt4 had PM'd us saying we was going to try to make it.  I was expecting a "young guy" . . . maybe mid 40's.  Turned out he's 17.
  • Bryce didn't bring a gun so everyone else wanted him to shoot their gun.  It didn't matter which gun he picked up (2 SxS, 2 O/U, 2 Pumps) he broke birds with it.  I think I only saw him miss twice out of 2-3 boxes of shells.  
  • Jeff is a tremendous host and his bacon is out of this world.   My mouth waters just thinking about his Jowl bacon.
  • Corn holing.   The darker it got, the better Jeff was.   
  • All of the food was fabulous.   Ruffneck's Luziana boil was a welcome addition this year

irish Eyes

Had a great time again, as usual. Met some new folks and it was good to see old friends again. Was a bit nervous bringing up oysters but no trouble was reported....I say reported. Ate too much bacon and other food and drank too many beers and glad that Pennsylvania has rest stops every 30 miles or so. It was Dickies fault for not stopping me from finishing off all his hot wings.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the big scare we had Saturday morning. Four of us,Dave,Dick, Richard and myself were staying at a camp not far away. We were supposed to get back to Jeffs by 7:00 for the bacon fest breakfast. We were promised jowl bacon and I wanted to get there before Doug.

We were all ready to leave except for Dickie, he was still sitting on his bunk and struggling to get up. Richard helped him up and he had a real hard time walking. He had to hold onto the kitchen table and counter just to make it to the front door. He said he was OK but it did not look good. 

When he got to the front door he could not manage the two steps and fell to the ground and could not get up. We were lucky to have coverage to call 911. The ambulance was there within a short time and the paramedics lifted Dickie onto the gurney and into the ambulance. 

I expected them to leave immediately but they hung out for awhile, probably trying to stabilize Dick. After 10 minutes I was getting real worried but then the back door on the ambulance opened and Dick jumped out and walked to his car as if nothing was wrong.

The EMT was standing in the back and I asked him what went wrong. He said,"Your friend is fine. He just put both his legs into one leg of his boxer shorts and they were so tight we had to cut him out. He will be fine." Dickie didn't want to talk about it.

We were able to get to Jeffs before all the bacon was gone and I did manage to some of the jowl bacon...Jeff did it well.

Highlight of the weekend was watching the two youngsters at the clay shoot. The high schooler hit everything with four different guns. Fit, what fit. We all said it was due to young eyes, my eyes were never that young.

again, thanks for putting it all together Jeff. As usual you hospitality was overflowing. No one went home disappointed or hungry.

Tim Frazier

I left home at 4:30 on Saturday to get to Jeffs on time for breakfast and was not disappointed.  I had planned to spend the night and leave Sunday but events on the way to Doug's cabin at 11pm lead to a change in plans (I assure you it was mental health not physical health) and I ended up getting home about 1am.  I will blame it on exhaustion from having too much fun and not from a low Haldol titer ;-)

Non the less, this was the greatest group of dogs and hunters I think Jeff has had in some time.  Just a great group. 

The young guys were both great ambassadors for their generation.    Bryce and Taylor were both great shots, sincere about their love of hunting and bird dogs and as pleasant to have conversation with as any hunter I have met.

Jeff, if there is a special place in heaven for old bird dogs, I believe there is for special place for old bird hunters as well, just don't be in a hurry ;-)

Glad Dickie only got two legs stuck in the same leg of his boxers...three might have killed him.

Iver
6 hours ago, irish Eyes said:

Had a great time again, as usual. Met some new folks and it was good to see old friends again. Was a bit nervous bringing up oysters but no trouble was reported....I say reported. Ate too much bacon and other food and drank too many beers and glad that Pennsylvania has rest stops every 30 miles or so. It was Dickies fault for not stopping me from finishing off all his hot wings.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the big scare we had Saturday morning. Four of us,Dave,Dick, Richard and myself were staying at a camp not far away. We were supposed to get back to Jeffs by 7:00 for the bacon fest breakfast. We were promised jowl bacon and I wanted to get there before Doug.

We were all ready to leave except for Dickie, he was still sitting on his bunk and struggling to get up. Richard helped him up and he had a real hard time walking. He had to hold onto the kitchen table and counter just to make it to the front door. He said he was OK but it did not look good. 

When he got to the front door he could not manage the two steps and fell to the ground and could not get up. We were lucky to have coverage to call 911. The ambulance was there within a short time and the paramedics lifted Dickie onto the gurney and into the ambulance. 

I expected them to leave immediately but they hung out for awhile, probably trying to stabilize Dick. After 10 minutes I was getting real worried but then the back door on the ambulance opened and Dick jumped out and walked to his car as if nothing was wrong.

The EMT was standing in the back and I asked him what went wrong. He said,"Your friend is fine. He just put both his legs into one leg of his boxer shorts and they were so tight we had to cut him out. He will be fine." Dickie didn't want to talk about it.

We were able to get to Jeffs before all the bacon was gone and I did manage to some of the jowl bacon...Jeff did it well.

Highlight of the weekend was watching the two youngsters at the clay shoot. The high schooler hit everything with four different guns. Fit, what fit. We all said it was due to young eyes, my eyes were never that young.

again, thanks for putting it all together Jeff. As usual you hospitality was overflowing. No one went home disappointed or hungry.

Bob, You owe me a new shirt this one has a mix of red wine and snot all over it.    

Sorry I missed the weekend.  Dickie... glad to hear you are ok.

ruffneck

Fine people , good food , corn hole lessons , cold beer , great stories and many laughs . 

Priceless! !

dogrunner

Glad to hear that Dickie is ok.

delahunter834

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM, irish Eyes said:

For those that do not know Irish Eyes,he drinks a LOT.He can't pass the beer cooler or the liquor table without sampling thier wards.

Saturday was a bad one for Irish eyes .So bad Ruffneck, who was in the bunk above him had to go sleep on living room floor.

Thanks to all that emailed me with thier concerns it was one of Bobs wild drunken dreams.

The event as has been said excelled in every way people ,food,lies & bullsxxt.Mark your calendar for next year it be here befor ya know it.

mshowman

Good to see that y'all had yet another great event. I really need to attend next year even if someone does schedule another family reunion or some such foolishness. Do you think Dick would be willing to give me crabs?

I've known for years that UJers tend to  have better looking women than they appear to deserve but it's apparent from the pictures that the same applies to their dogs.

love2hunt

@ANF grousin thanks again for the invite and letting us crash in your cabin. Glad you liked the chicken! Don't kill too many of your birds before I can get back up again.

@grouse28 y'all didn't scare us off. We had a great time and wish we could have stayed through the rest of the morning Sunday.

@DAP thanks for the pictures, those are great! 

We had a great weekend and will do everything we can to make it again next year. Everyone was very generous and welcoming.

For my fellow Appalachian hunters, it is worth the drive just for the birds. A "slow year" for them was a season for some of us. The food, fellowship and fun make it even better.

ANF grousin

Taylor, you'll have to get up this fall, you left some personal belongings under the cot. There will be plenty of birds left when you make it back up.

PartridgeCartridge

Got to make it a point to attend this next year.

ANF grousin

We have a special hollowed out tree that will be perfect for you.