• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
MAArcher

Truck tires, how many miles to you expect?

MAArcher

I have a set of BF Goodrich 285/75R16 A/T's that have been on my Excursion for a few years.  I have about 35k miles on them and they are now junk.  Despite alignments and rotation they didn't wear even at all.  That doesn't seem like many miles to me, how many miles do you guys get from your truck tires?  Any recommendation for good tire with strong sidewalls?  I went with the tallest and narrowest tire I could get for my stock rims hoping to gain as much clearance as possible while not degrading gas mileage as much as wider tires would.  The BF goodrich are well rated.  Right now I'm thinking about a set of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-Scorpion-MTR-Tire-LT285-75R16-113Q/47431877 but their load rating isn't nearly what the BFG's were. (113Q vs 126E).

bennelli-banger

I had 3 suburbans back in the '90's....I ran a michelin all-terrain tire of some sort, and routinely got 75k on a set...I had at least 3 sets of them...I would put them on when the stock tires were worn out...that was usually around 45-55k...then I would get to around 140k with the Michelins...then I don't recall what I did...perhaps I went back to cheap tires, assuming the truck would be sold before 200k...my first 'burb went to 265k before I parted with her...no engine or tranny issues with that truck...a '94.  I have not had tire life since those Michelins...I am lucky now to get 50k.

Don Steese

For a mid priced set I'd want to see 50ish.

Don fischer

I pulled RV's for a living for awhile. Had a 2000 dodge 3/4 ton with 16" tires. Don't recall the exact ize but I got 105,000 out of a set of Toyo's. 8 ply d range tires. No other tire wore near as well.

406dn

I've had very good luck with various Michelin tires. When we had a Suburban I got +70k out of a couple of sets. Presently I drive a K3500 Duramax and have gotten in excess of 60k on a couple  sets of Michelin LTX all season tires. I haul a slide in camper and a three horse bumper pull trailer. On the Bridgestones that came on the truck, the tires were pretty well spent before 40k.

You might have your front end checked out as well. When I had a little wear on an idler arm, one set of tires got chewed up before their time. 

barna

Another vote for Michelin, I got just over 100K on my last LTX A/T2s, they were rated at 60K,   I am trying the Cooper Destination on and off road now, I like the tread pattern on the Copper better, will see how they compare. 

Barna

Clueless1

I've had terrible luck with Coopers.  40k rating I was getting 20k.  They pro-rated the next set, but only got 20k again.  Finally told my guy that it was great that they pro-rated but I was tired of being there spending that 50% every 18 months. 

Switched to Michelin and so far so good.  I think I'm around 40k now with a lot of tread left.

walt lister

Put BFG A/T 10 ply rated tires on my Xterra at 25K, now 65K and about half worn. Expect another 25K before I buy new. I bought the 10 ply rated tires because I was having flats on the original tires on out rough desert roads. Your Excursion is a very heavy vehicle, maybe the stiffer load range E tires would last longer, they call for 80 PSI so would be less tread squirm that causes extra wear.

Doubleplay

Another + Michelins. Yes they are more expensive but their light truck tires are the best in %80 road %20 off road situations.  BF Goodrichs which were the originals on my truck did not even last 25K.

Brad Eden

I've had trucks all my life. Been through a lot of tires and brands. The latest on my '06 Tundra are General Grabber AT2's, per recommendation of my local mechanic. They are tread life warranted for 6 years or 60,000 miles. I'm only at around 20k but are by far my favorite. Aggressive, but even and reasonably quiet on pavement. They are wearing evenly so far. Plus they look good.

jeff88

Just put on Pirelli's on my SUV and expect to get more than 60K balancing, rotating and aligning every 5k.

Jazz4Brazo

Michelin AT2 on my Tacoma....love em :-)

Kansas Bound
4 hours ago, MAArcher said:

I have a set of BF Goodrich 285/75R16 A/T's that have been on my Excursion for a few years.  I have about 35k miles on them and they are now junk.  Despite alignments and rotation they didn't wear even at all.  That doesn't seem like many miles to me, how many miles do you guys get from your truck tires?  Any recommendation for good tire with strong sidewalls?  I went with the tallest and narrowest tire I could get for my stock rims hoping to gain as much clearance as possible while not degrading gas mileage as much as wider tires would.  The BF goodrich are well rated.  Right now I'm thinking about a set of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-Scorpion-MTR-Tire-LT285-75R16-113Q/47431877 but their load rating isn't nearly what the BFG's were. (113Q vs 126E).

Is this all pavement or a lot of gravel? 

Windrider

Mud tires I expect 25-30k.  They still have some tread but they are loud and don't really work in mud anymore.

All terrains with modest dirt road use, 50k, but I could see 40 I depending upon the terrain you used them in.

Highway tires 50-70k.

if you are running big tires on a small lifted vehicle like a jeep, add 10k

if yo run 10plys on a small to midsize vehicle, add 10k.

if you are running a big truck routinely loaded you never know.

if the tires are original equipment, I expect 25k.  Can get 30. 

Blew out a set of OE tires on a 1/2 ton that I worked like a dog hauling stuff, hunting, lots of moderate off road and pulled boats and travel trailers in 15k.  That made me cranky.

Skybuster

To answer the question originally proposed, I would expect 60/70 thousand miles on a set of tires. The original Goodyear street tires supplied on my on my 2009 F150 lasted a whopping 45,024 miles before they needed replacement. Nuff said.