• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
MAArcher

Truck tires, how many miles to you expect?

Samuel Hoggson

Have never gotten over 50k with Michelin, Toyo, Cooper, Goodrich/year, eieio.  4wd F-150s w/15" to F-350s w/E-rated 16".  

Well, the 2wd Ranger might break 50k.  

terrym

I have been running Michelin LTX M/S on my last 5 SUV's and have no trouble getting 75k miles with rotations.  Just make sure you get the right load rating for your vehicles weight. 

Dave Medema

BFG All terrain KO's for the last 20 years +/- and have never got less than 70k.  Even at that point, they were still pretty good but as I headed into those falls, just thought a fresh set was good insurance.  

MAArcher

Hmmm, I forgot about tire pressure.  I've run them at 65psi instead of 80 because the ride is so rough I thought I'd loose a kidney if I tried them at 80.  Didn't think I'd lose almost half of the tread life though.  Thinking back, it did take me a while to catch on that I had a bad wheel bearing that may have caused some wear.  I'm probably not judging the tires fairly.  And its a bigger vehicle than I'm used to driving.  I put 250k on a Dodge Dakota V8 and I think I only had 3 sets of tires on it, original stock and then two sets after that and there was plenty of life left in the tires when I retired it, so maybe I've been spoiled.  Now I'm grumpy because I need good tires for a Moose hunt this fall, lots of shale logging road driving in the middle of nowhere so I'm not going to be able to drive the tires I have on there now bald like I'd like to.

Coalman
16 hours ago, Skybuster said:

To answer the question originally proposed, I would expect 60/70 thousand miles on a set of tires. The original Goodyear street tires supplied on my on my 2009 F150 lasted a whopping 45,024 miles before they needed replacement. Nuff said.

The stock Goodyear tires on my 2011 F150 were rated 40,000. I got 40,000. On my second set now. I like the ride.

frak

With the big trucks everyone is talking about I am really surprised anyone is getting anything over 40k.  That is truly remarkable, IMHO.  

I always thought that there was a tradeoff between gas mileage, noise, comfort, durability, speed capability.  If you are high on one axis, you were necessarily low on another.   

25/06

The excursion and super duty Fords of the early 2000's have poor steering geometry and are known to wear tires rapidly...

As the years went along they got better but did not remedy the issue until the next major model update and the excursion was gone.

I drove a 2005 excursion for a while that had good alignment and fresh ball joints...Compared to our other vehicles is was like a rowing boat for steering.

406dn
1 hour ago, frak said:

With the big trucks everyone is talking about I am really surprised anyone is getting anything over 40k.  That is truly remarkable, IMHO.  

I always thought that there was a tradeoff between gas mileage, noise, comfort, durability, speed capability.  If you are high on one axis, you were necessarily low on another.   

That is one reason I posted. When I got a diesel truck, everyone told me the tire milage would be poor due to the tremendous torque the engine generates. When the tire salesman told me that the Michelin tire had a 70k prorated warranty, I told him I didn't see how they could last that long. Had I driven the first set of them down to the wear bars,,I could have likely gotten a small adjustment on the new set. The timing wasn't good to try that though. Towing horses on balding tires isn't something I want to do.

studdog

I've run Suburbans  and Ford Expeditions for 30  years with a variety of OEM tires and regularly get 60K miles on a set of tires.  Rotate every 5K.  I had one set of Korean tires that went puke after 50K.

popplecop

When I was driving 1/2 tons I would get 60K on whatever came on them.  I rotated them every 6K miles.

frak

Also the tire pressures nowadays are something.  I got an SUV a year or two ago and was ready to dial in the usual 32 lbs.  Then I saw that the tires took 48.  Now, you all are talking about 65 lbs!  That's bicycle territory.  Tire technology sure has changed.  

dogrunner

I always get 60,000+ with Goodyear Wrangler AT and I have had a bunch of them.

BIGSP

I run oversized tired on my 2010 Toyota 4runner and routinely get 100k miles out of them.  I've run Hankook DyanPro ATM, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain and my latest and best have been Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.  I run a 270/55/R20

I think your narrower tire for "clearance and gas mileage" is costing you more in tire replacement that it is saving you in gas mileage.

jeff88

Used to try to squeeze every mile I could out of tires, now when they wear to the bar, I replace them.  They probably have 3-5k more on them but I don't like to gamble anymore.

Also, I 2nd, 3rd, whatever on tire pressure.  That is check every 2 weeks and I keep it 1 pound over the PSI listed on the door sticker.

JiminCA

I have an '05 Diesel Excursion.  Got 70K+ our of my last set of Goodyear "Silentarmor" E-load rated tires.  They're also M&S rated, not a lugged mud tire, but more aggressive than a normal street tire. .  Ran them at lower than recommended pressures (60 up front, 50 in back) with no detrimental effects. I did rotate faithfully every 5K miles (whenever I did an oil change).  Just bought another set.  They aren't called SlientArmor any more but it's the same tire - IIRC it's some Wrangler variant.  About the only complaint I have is that they need rebalancing fairly often (about every 10K miles).

About 25% of my mileage is towing.  I do add air in back when I have a significant load for distance.  Been pretty impressed with the performance and longevity.  I do go offroad with them but you have to understand and anticipate that a 60 psi tire carrying an 8000 lb vehicle is like a pizza cutter in the soft stuff.