REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Uplander

Olympics

Uplander

Almost lost in the election year and Zika frenzies is the fact that the Olympics start in a few days.

I foresee some late nights and lost sleep ahead....

Rex Hoppie

Keep us posted.

Uplander
5 minutes ago, Rex Hoppie said:

Keep us posted.

LOL!

Cooter Brown

I hate to say it but it looks like a mess in Rio.  Hope fully things will work out.  When I was young the Olympics were a huge thing to me.

I am looking forward to Kim Rhode competing.  If she medals--and she's got a great chance at it--she'll be the first athlete to do so six consecutive times in the Summer Olympics.  In any sport.

Good luck, Kim!

salmontogue

I am fearful the Olympics is going to turn into a mess for a plethora of reasons.  I suspect the news media vultures are sitting on their various tree branches and are ready to pounce.  News flashes about failure will reduce the celebration of spirit, achievement and goodwill.  Turn off TV and go shooting or fishing.

Perk

sneem

I hope they cover the shotgun sports as they did last time. They had amazing ultra slow motion shots showing the shot column breaking the targets in double trap. Amazing footage.

Dogwood

If they can't keep the venue clean how will they keep it secure?  I fear terrorism will strike.

PaFlyfisher

I used to love the olympics, but no more. Extensive doping scandals and corruption. The last thing Brazil needs right now is to be spending billions on these games. They are a boondoggle. Frankly, the never have a good ROI, which may be ok for countries like Britian, the US, and Japan, but these games are costing Brazil money they don't have. I'll watch a bit of the track and field events, possibly some basketball, but they aren't the same. 

Don Steese
27 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

I am fearful the Olympics is going to turn into a mess for a plethora of reasons.  I suspect the news media vultures are sitting on their various tree branches and are ready to pounce.  News flashes about failure will reduce the celebration of spirit, achievement and goodwill.  Turn off TV and go shooting or fishing.

Perk

You and me both, although I'm never quick to lay blame at the feet of the media. This event could very well be a disaster if the press were banned from the country. I heard an american reporter who's been in country for a long time explaining the situation there and just the political situation alone should be enough to scare the daylights out of most folks. Add to that the crime, pollution and lack of infrastructure and it's enough to make anyone want to sit this one out.  It's a shame for the athletes who've trained for so long!

salmontogue

Those who would do evil play to the media.  They want attention and the media gives it to them gratis and with embellishment.  How can anyone believe the media is unwitting in all this?

Perk

grouse28

Will watch the shooting if available, otherwise not interested like years ago. Too much media and doping.

Also they added golf, really??  Ya gotta be doped up to watch golf. A good walk ruined.

gunsrus

I enjoy golf . Earlier i questioned why some of the worlds best young golfers from all over the world decided not to attend the Olympics .

After reading what goes on down there , not so much anymore . 

bntsetter

The Olympic Soccer has already started.  US women won their first math....

terrym

I wouldn't go to Rio If you paid me and hopefully it doesn't turn into another Munich. I have s bad feeling about these games. We live in dangerous times. Swimming and sailing in sewage laden waters? How fricken corrupt is the IOC to select places like this? They need to downsize the pomp and bribery and let smaller more stable countries in. 

Curt

I lost interest back in the 80's when they decided to allow pro athletes in, prior to that it was strictly amateur and a lot more interesting in my view.  Saw on this mornings news that police there are using tear gas and rubber bullets to break up huge crowds of local folks protesting the gov't spending the money on this event when the country is already bankrupt.

Anyone else see the tv coverage of the pollution down there?