FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
mebgerm

2010-2013 F250 Diesels

mebgerm

I'm thinking about buying a new truck and was looking at some used 10-13 F250 Diesels.  Is there anything that I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Marc Ret

Mike,

The 2010 would be a 6.4L.  Ford put a lot of money into R&D and dumped it after 3 model years. Check out the Ford truck forums and dieselstop.com for the common problems with that engine. 

Ford introduced the 6.7L in 2011.  So far my understanding is its a much better engine from those I've talked to that own them.  

My 7.3L is still running strong so all of my knowledge comes from others that I know that are running the newer diesels. A new truck would be nice but my Super Duty with 250,000 miles is still getting 17mpg running around AND it's paid for. 

Best of luck with your purchase. 

mebgerm

Marc-thanks for the reply-super helpful.  Yikes! I went onto diesel stop and looks like the 6.4 is plagued with a number of issues.  Beginning to read up on the 6.7 now.

thanks again,

Mike

Marc Ret

You're welcome Mike. 

If you don't mind my asking, what will you be pulling with your new truck?

Jim Vander

We have a 2004 6.0 that replaced a 7.3 that was the finest heavy truck we ever owned. After a lot of money and post warranty mods the 6.0 has been fine. A good friend had a 6.4 in an f350 4wd. It was a nightmare for him. Left him and his horses stranded several times. Once in Ky so badly the dealer out there had it for nearly a month. While I don't recall all of what was done they pulled the cab. The truck was plagued with small issues after that and he sent it down the road. 

dogrunner

The 6.4 was a Navistar engine after all the problems with Navistar and there last couple engines models they built for them, Ford is now building there own motors.  The new motor seems to be much better and they are not being held hostage by Navistar anymore. I drove one of the first new  6.7 motors, nice and quiet with lots of power.

mebgerm

Marc-I will mostly be pulling a camper and other toys.  The current camper weighs 4K empty. I'm pulling it with my 05 sequoia.  It is a struggle for the 4.7L and the vehicle has 180k+ on it.  I was thinking about buying a diesel as I imagine we will upgrade campers in a couple years.

salmontogue

Why not consider a Dodge/Cummins.  We have several.  The oldest is 20 yo and still running strong with less than 2K invested other than routine maintenance.  It pulls like a champ, starts reliably in cold Maine winters and has never experienced a breakdown.  I like Ford gas trucks but, if buying a diesel, would go with Dodge.

Perk

Curt

I have the 2011 6.7L in an F350 and just turned over 71,000 miles.  I've had zero issues with the engine/drive train and pull my camper (approx. 9500 lbs.) about 9-10k miles per year.  So far I'd say Ford has a winner with the 6.7L, certainly more so than with the 6.0L or the 6.4L.

henryrski

I can't comment on the 6.4 or the 6.7 But I will tell you to stay away from the 6.0. I had one and it was a real dog. Thank God fro extended warranties. That truck convinced me to go back to gas. FWIW.

NECarson

I've spent way too many hours messing with light duty diesels of all sorts, and who knows how many talking about them... 

6.7 Powerstroke is a great engine. 

gunner29

I have a 2011 F250 with the 6.7 165,000 miles on it. Overall it's been a great truck. No issues with cold weather unlike my 7.3 that ate glow plugs

blanked

Why not a newer 3/4 ton gasser.  Diesals are overkill unless your really towing heavy .   The added cost up front and maintenance / repairs for a diesel isn't worth it unless you really need the tow capacity or rack up some serious miles

salmontogue
3 hours ago, blanked said:

Why not a newer 3/4 ton gasser.  Diesals are overkill unless your really towing heavy .   The added cost up front and maintenance / repairs for a diesel isn't worth it unless you really need the tow capacity or rack up some serious miles

I have owned a bunch of pickups, gas and diesel, and my experience is that gas trucks require more maintenance.  Twenty year old Cummins has required two repairs, a $ 78 crankshaft sensor and a $ 116 fuel heater.  That's it in over a quarter million miles.  I'll take diesel any day based on reliability, improved fuel economy and king kong towing capacity.  Sam Elliot says it best.

Perk

67diesel

I worked on all 3 of those diesels (engineering).  If I posted about the how's and whys of the 6.0L and 6.4L the post would be 3 pages long.  However, if treated right,  I would not be afraid of either of the Navistars.  It is near impossible to find a non- chipped 6.0L now.  I don't think chipping was as prevalent with 6.4L..  yes there were more issues on those 2 motors than the chipping.  Oil cooler and EGR cooler in series on 6.0L for example.  Horrible design. Radiator issues on 6.4L causing EGR cooler failures on 6.4L as another example.  

There was only one issue with 6.7L that none of you guys will ever see, and we fixed it in 2013MY.  it is an awesome engine that I can proudly recommend to anybody without reservations.  It also helps that the engine plant building it has super quality.  Ford designed and Ford built.  It has gas engine levels of quality which is unheard of for an engine that is often used to pull 30,000 lbs. every day by its owner.

Perk I love reading your posts but truck vs. truck, the Ford is considerably better than Dodge, although I admit I am hardly an objective grader.  

Mebgerm, if you want more details just ask.  I can probably get you a pretty good deal on a new one if you are interested in that.