• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Brad Eden

GAME CHANGER Photo Uploads!

Brad Eden

Contributing Members may be aware, if they have been paying attention, that I've been struggling with the data usage of Photo (and video) Uploads. We almost went over data quota for board which could have been disastrous.

In response I instituted a 4mb max image size for uploads with a max storage per member of 100mb's. (Extremely generous considering a 200kb and less file is perfectly web friendly. 1000kb=1mb)

Well, I've been involved with the IPS Board support about this and have been given a work around or a solution! I've been able to set parameter/pixel widths and heights for uploaded photos that will automatically downsize large photo files to a web friendly size upon upload and posting. And the best part is those photos load to the data at the smaller size. 

For example:

image.jpeg

This is a 1.2 mb photo upload

image.jpg

This is the same photo Upload after I changed parameters, and is now 453kb

Not much change in resolution but a major saving in data space.

I should be able to make initial upload size larger than 4mb maybe even unlimited now. I will likely keep the max storage at 100mb since with these condensed upload files, that won't fill up nearly as fast and will require less management by Members.

Kansas Bound

Heck Yes!!!!!

RuffChaser

I wanted to test this so here's a splash of WC poop.

IMG_5926.jpg

fourtrax57

Handy.

Allen McCallie

Yes; that's some perfectly acceptable resolution on the poop...

dauber

Fantastic Brad. Every once in a while I get excited and forget to downsize my pics!  This will correct my neglect. 

Greg Hartman

Sounds like a good solution!  This is a test upload of a 1.2MB image:

8-26-16 - The lane after the storm - B&W.jpg

Edit: Perfectly acceptable quality and I don't need to keep a separate set of images just for uploading on UJ.  Good job!

Further Edit:  This is a 2.09MB image hosted by Flickr, which uses no UJ storage space:

28272692975_269bec69e4_h.jpg

This one came out full-size. Good.

Don Steese

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm glad it worked out!

Brad Eden

Still playing with settings. Max photo upload files size is now set at 6mb. This is again HUGE by web friendly standards and are typically the size newer smart phones take. But with the new auto resizing those large photos when uploaded should save to data at a much smaller size.

dogrunner

Nice, because I got a big pic spread on its way and I have had problems in the past so I hope this helps.

Dick Sellers

Admittedly I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I haven't figured out how to rearrange photos once they have been dragged and dropped into a post or how to add captions between photos.  Instructions would be welcome, even if accompanied by assessment of my technical ineptitude.  Thanks

Brad Eden

Once photos are uploaded but not yet posted, Click a thumbnail at bottom. That will pre-post photo in the Reply field. Make a return or two and type caption etc. Repeat for other photos/thumbnails.

Cooter Brown

That's great, Brad.  It always seemed odd to me that they didn't resize automatically, but that shows what I know.