Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

"new" grouse mobile

Tim Frazier

As much as I wanted a Subie or a small 4x4 ute, it was the need to haul firewood and items around the farm that wouldn't let me pass up this 2003 F-150.  It came straight up from Florida and has no rust, just amazing for a 13 yr old vehicle.  It had 107,000 miles on it, V-6 with tow package and limited slip rear end as well as 4x4.  I picked it up for about the same as what a new truck looses when it's driven off the lot, so I'm pretty happy.  Put the new treads on last night and going to look at a cap tonight.  It's not perfect but it will work for what my needs are.

truck.jpg

UplandHntr

wow!!! Nice Find!!

Dogwood

Nice!  Curious did you buy it without inspecting the truck?

Fire Marshal Bill

Coming from Florida it must of have been a private party purchase. Nice going, looks really nice. Good luck with it.

Tim Frazier

Well, here is the story.  I've been watching this guys lot in Kent, Ohio.  He primarily brings cars and trucks up from Florida and has had some interesting vehicles.  Most have pretty high mileage and most are above what market is around here...but...they looked pretty clean.  So I noticed this F-150 for $5900 and it was 4wd.  I figured because it was a standard cab and a V-6 he was limited on who would be interested.  I went and looked at it and it was indeed very clean.  This guy is a one man show, so you can call him anytime which confirmed that for me anyway.  We talked about the business and he was very open about the vehicles he brings up, the ones he takes a bath on, the ones that have kept him afloat.  I made him an offer of $6200 cash that would have to cover taxes/title/tag and he took it.  I probably could have got it for $6000 even but I'm pretty happy with the deal.  Tires ran me $546 total and the cap I'm looking at tonight is $150, then $50 for an oil spray and we are done till next summer.  So while $6946 doesn't sound like a steal for a 13 year old vehicle with 100,000 miles on it, it does to me because it's clean enough to eat off of!  I will keep driving the Vibe to work till it literally can't be towed home.  So I figure with a little TLC and just driving it on weekends, it's a ten year truck. 

Tim Frazier

Oh, and being that my FIL spent 54,000 and two BILs have spent well north of $60,000 on each of their trucks this year I'm pretty happy to not have a payment and would rather have the difference in my 403b for the next ten years!  I am cheap like that though...

FlyChamps
7 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

Oh, and being that my FIL spent 54,000 and two BILs have spent well north of $60,000 on each of their trucks this year I'm pretty happy to not have a payment and would rather have the difference in my 403b for the next ten years!  I am cheap like that though...

That's smart thinking!  I've been in the CPA business for 41 years have seen far too many clients spend freely in their early years, then retire and be forced to take a low paying job to have spending money or sit in front of the TV because that's all they can afford.  In those 41 years I've only had one client die before retirement and he drank himself to death so your odds of outliving your money are great if you're a spender when you're young.  The only thing worse than leaving your heirs money when you die is running out of money before you die.

Dogwood

Yeah I guess someone has to buy new vehicles but it won't be me.  Really good get Tim.

gunsrus

Nice Tim .

Tim Frazier

Thanks for all the compliments!  Got the cap I wanted, a little beat up but fine for hunting.  I wanted the side opening windows and the guy took my offer of $125.  I was going to paint it but I think it will stay cooler during the early months if I don't.  I'll give it some thought.  I would love to have a new truck but it doesn't make sense in my situation and I refuse to sacrifice in other areas just to have one.  I'm passionate about not working OT or having a 2nd job, I'd rather just look for opportunities to save vs. earn at this point in life.

Now to figure out a easily removable bed storage set up!

truck.jpg

truck1.jpeg

Fire Marshal Bill

Wow Tim, nice looking outfit you have there. And you're money ahead besides. With a little planning you will have plenty of room for you, the dogs and all your hunting gear. Good luck! 

bennelli-banger

very nice!!!!!  perfect....and no guilt!

Tim Frazier
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:25 PM, bennelli-banger said:

very nice!!!!!  perfect....and no guilt!

Thanks!

I grew up Pentecostal though, there is ALWAYS guilt!  Ha!

Fire Marshal you are correct, now comes the interior design, ha!

terrym

Well done. Everybody wants a shiny new truck but as you say that money is not well spent money long term. The other thing is you won't cringe everytime you get mud, dog hair or a scratch on it.

Sage Hen

Nice job Tim this should be a great work or play rig versatile is the word I think.Tow package and limited slip is also a big plus.