Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

"new" grouse mobile

Clueless1

Very nice!  I got a 2001 a few years ago that had the cap already.  Not quite as clean but only 75,000 miles at the time.  Looking for a removable bed storage unit as well, although I have the 5.5' bed as I needed room for kids and their hunting gear at this point.  Mind sharing the guy from Kent as well?  I get over there from time to time and I've seen the one on 43 (I think that's the route) just off 76.  Going to be looking for my son's first vehicle over the next year. 

Don Steese

I love those caps with the side windows that open! You don't have to crawl in to retrieve stuff all the time.

Tim Frazier

Clue, It's Street Motor Sports.  Turn towards Kent and he's just a mile or so on the left.  Nice web site as well.

Painted the white cap a satin "granite", not sure if I like it any better than the white but it will work for this year.  I replaced the coil, wires and plugs along with the fuel filter so thats done for the next 60,000.  For the bed I just bought a sheet of 1/2" plywood.  I had a tool box from a small truck and put it at one end, then put handles at the opposite end and some tie downs on top of a cheap piece of carpet.  The dog box can be strapped down and I still have room for a sleeping bag.  It slides easily over the bed liner so the dogs boxes will be easier to open and the tool box (gun storage) easy to reach through the side windows.  Put fluid film under the whole thing and we are ready to hunt!

truck.jpg

bed1.jpg

bed.jpeg

Fur and Feathers
On 8/30/2016 at 9:50 AM, Tim Frazier said:

As much as I wanted a Subie or a small 4x4 ute, it was the need to haul firewood and items around the farm that wouldn't let me pass up this 2003 F-150.  It came straight up from Florida and has no rust, just amazing for a 13 yr old vehicle.  It had 107,000 miles on it, V-6 with tow package and limited slip rear end as well as 4x4.  I picked it up for about the same as what a new truck looses when it's driven off the lot, so I'm pretty happy.  Put the new treads on last night and going to look at a cap tonight.  It's not perfect but it will work for what my needs are.

truck.jpg

I am in the process of doing something very similar. I found a 04 4x4 Ranger in crazy nice condition(rust and mechanical) with 90k miles. I have been looking pretty hard for a couple of months. Anything I have found in this price range was either rotted or had 150k + miles on it. So I jumped on it. I will also be looking for an aluminum cap to go on it. In my eyes the best vehicles are ones that have no payments. 

mshowman

Looks like it has an 8' bed. They have become pretty scarce in recent years. If so, you are going to feel like you're staying in the Marriott with all that room.