• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
KerryLuft

So what's stopping you?

Kemo Sabe

If I had to choose between my dog and hunting versus registered sporting clays, it's no question I'd take my dog and hunting. My biggest passion in life theses days is my dog, my duck club and hunting ducks.

I spent countless hours coaching my four kids in sports and being very active in their lives. Nothing came before all of that. Now, they've all finished college except the last one, and I've got plenty of time to do whatever I want. So, for 110 days a year, duck hunting owns my soul. The other 250+ days, it's clay shooting. I also fish and upland hunt, as well as do whatever it takes to keep my lovely wife happy.

It's all about priorities, and doing what makes you happy. 

Brad Eden

There is some hunting going on in Maine pretty much year round with a short reprieve in mid summer...upland bird hunting, bow hunting, rifle hunting.... bear, deer, wild turkeys, snowshoe hare, and Moose if a tag is drawn...and for the earnest, hunting in general  is a year long commitment with scouting, trail cams, cover prospecting etc. And there is fishing as well. I respect those who have found a passion and strives to improve on it. Personally I simply don't like shooting clays, for a variety of reasons, one being I'm busy with the above. That's made me somewhat of a pariah to some who feel we owe it to the game birds to practice year round and to be proficient with a shotgun so as not to wound or lose birds. As is, admittedly I'm not a very good wing shot, but lose very few winged birds because my dogs retrieve well.

Mike Connally

I shot registered skeet for 10 years or so. I was serious enough to travel to Savanah twice and shoot in the world championships. Guess what...I found out that I'm not a world champion, but that I could win on a local and regional level. That took about 25,000 rounds a year, figuring in practice and registered targets. 

I just plain burned out. I sold my tube set and never looked back. These days I shoot a little sporting clays at a local range just to keep my eye in. I can still break my share. 

Kemo Sabe

I'm 64 now, and my best scoring is well behind me. But I keep at it because I like the competition, and more importantly, I've meet and continue to enjoy some of the best friends of my life shooting competitive sporting clays.  A lot of really great people have come into my life because of sporting clays.

In addition, small gauge events make it even more fun. I still come home from an event and can't wait to go to the next one. I'm sure that will someday change, and when it does I'll adjust accordingly.

Auto-5
On September 9, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Rockdoc said:

Kerry,

Since you asked. I hunt and shoot for enjoyment and comradery with likeminded people. I used to live 1/4 mile from the local trap range and I could actually hear shooting from house. I don’t consider myself much of a shot but having the range so close I got damned good at trap and joined a league. The next thing you know I was shooting just to raise my score and an activity I’d been doing for enjoyment turned into work. At the end of the league season I dropped out and never rejoined.

I eventually quit shooting trap altogether because I found so many of my fellow trap shooters to be anal retentive’s, quick to blame everyone but themselves for a bad round. I now only shoot trap low-gun at the beginning of pheasant/quail season, otherwise it’s 5-stand, sporting clays, or skeet in that order of preference.

Steve

Ive have seen some  of this too so I tend to steer clear  or maybe I just use this as an excuse because I really don't want to work at it enough to become good.its  a lot like golf, there are several groups  social golfers, gamblers, competitors , etc. one really needs to figure out what group shares your interest level and play with those people. Myself I'm a social golfer that simply wants to be able to play well enough to play a respectiable game and keep up with most people or to be able to play in a club scramble and make a contribution. Win the club championship ? I couldn't care less.

Flairball

Clay shooting has mostly been about practicing for the bird season for me, but I've come to enjoy it for what it is, too. I shoot mostly skeet, and a bit of sporting. Truth be told, I like sporting better, as I feel the wider variety of shot presentations better prepares you for the field. If the SC club was a bit closer, and a little cheaper, I'd shoot it more. That said, I've been thinking of getting involved in shooting sporting clays tournaments. Probably not registered, but charity, though there are probably not many charity tourneys around here in the winter, so F class might be the ticket. Anyway, a few questions. I prefer to shoot 20g, and I've shot my 20g at sporting on regular days. Can I shoot 20g in a tourney? I've thought enough about this that I've considered buying  a dedicated clays gun; heavier, and longer. But I'm also looking for a nice field gun. Could I use a lighter 20g field gun for sporting? And, could one shoot a SxS? 

I've been thinking about lessons, too. But I'm not so sure I want sporting clays instruction, as much as I want instruction that will just help me become a better wingshot. 

KerryLuft
41 minutes ago, Flairball said:

I prefer to shoot 20g, and I've shot my 20g at sporting on regular days. Can I shoot 20g in a tourney? I've thought enough about this that I've considered buying  a dedicated clays gun; heavier, and longer. But I'm also looking for a nice field gun. Could I use a lighter 20g field gun for sporting? And, could one shoot a SxS? 

I've been thinking about lessons, too. But I'm not so sure I want sporting clays instruction, as much as I want instruction that will just help me become a better wingshot. 

Yes, you can shoot a 20.  Not necessarily the best choice, but if you're just looking to have fun -- have at it.  Same goes for a SxS.  If you go to a bigger tournament there will likely be a 20 gauge side event and perhaps even a SxS event.  All good.

As for lessons -- p.m. me and I might have some thoughts for you depending on where you live.

chilly460

I got into SC on and off around five years ago, got into shooting registered for a year then took up golf so didn't have time for both.  Last year I took up SC again and worked up to some registered shoots again.  It's a slippery slope as worrying about score and stagnating is partially what got me out of golf.  On the flipside, I do really enjoy the tournaments and have learned to take the good and bad.  I'd love to shoot more, I'm lucky that I have two clubs within 45-60min, and they throw two "fun shoots" per month between them with registered targets.  I'd like to do more big tournaments, but personally I have a hard time dropping $500-1000 on a weekend shooting when I could use that money on a long weekend vacation or other priorities.  I've done the state tournament and that's about it, if I can justify a big tournament I will definitely go.  I'm just in C class now so plenty of room to grow, so I think I'll be in the game for awhile. 

One thing I don't like is the local places are small venues and allow a "european start".  Guys in carts will bounce around stations, until at some point there's a major bottleneck caused by several squads of 6-7 shooters.  These smaller venues need to treat it like golf and restrict it to groups of 4, either run a shotgun start (pun intended) or give assigned "tee times" so that people aren't stuck waiting half an hour at a station.  

dogrunner

Why don't they have a set time and stations per squad?  I don't like more than 5 per squad otherwise it seems to talk to long and in bad weather or breakdowns it takes forever. 

chilly460

These are "smaller" tournaments, at something like a state shoot I have seen set times.  The problem is these "smaller" shoots now have 100+ shooters now, so they'll get bottled up once everyone skips stations.  Why they don't go to set times I'm not sure, but the ownership is pretty "old school" and guessing they don't really recognize it as a problem.  

dogrunner

100+ is not small so they should have a time and set stations for squads, no skipping. 

Flairball

So,...I tossed my hat in the ring. Not SC, but I did register and enter a small skeet tourney at my local club. I elected to shoot 20g, which is what I usually shoot. I'm not great skeet shooter, and I shoot predominantly low gun, not premounted. I shoot an average of about 76%, but that has been creeping up, and I've been having more rounds in the 20's. Thought I wouldn't feel any pressure shooting on a skeet field I shoot on weekly, but I did, and it showed. Tanked two rounds real good, but shot my last round pretty good with a 21. My total score was a 70. I'll shoot a tourney again. It was fun. I'm also looking for some local SC tourneys. I'll do things a little different next time. Though I usually shoot low gun, I'd practiced premounted, and shot the tourney that way, save 2 station which I just can't shoot premounted ( H-2 & H-6 ). I'm gonna concentrate on strictly low gun shooting. I like it better, and though I know it's not optimal in competition, I feel more in control that way. 

Anyway, it was this thread that encouraged me to try this, so thanks. I look forward shooting a few more tourneys, but don't look for my name in bright lights, or expect me to approach clay shooting differently. Just like field trialling, I am a grouse hunter first and foremost. Clays and trials are just to keep me moving. 

dogrunner

Glad you had Fun.  Its not all about winning, but more on the experience the people you meet and the places you get to go shoot at, that is what I like about it. 

Hal Standish
On 9/8/2016 at 7:08 PM, Cooter Brown said:

This is an excellent post.

What stops me is it's just so damned expensive.

Campaign a dog to three AA titles in 18 months. Back and forth across North America, now that is done, SC shoots will be a breeze!