2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Jfwhit

Upland vehicle set-ups. Pics?

Jfwhit

I have a Tahoe dedicated to upland hunting and I'm wanting to set it up to maximize my storage space with room for two dogs.  I know there are some good products, but they are expensive.  Looking for some do-it-yourself ideas.

Treerooster

Here is my homemade gun box or whatever you want to call it. This is the 3rd pickup I have hade it on. I had to expand the main part as the pickup got wider. I should redo the drawer one of these days so it fits better. It works for me and I built most of it without actually buying anything. I have several low profile tackle boxes with various stuff in them (gun cleaning/repair kit, dog first aid, etc.) that go in the bottom.

P8300001_zpsc30616a6.jpg

P8300002_zpscb94d7fa.jpg

P8300003_zps3a99cd1f.jpg

Ohioupland

image_zpsdifucz9h.jpeg It is a mess, but this is the back of my truck on a recent hunting trip. The platform the kennel sits on slides out for easier access. 

mccuha

great thread. I've been thinking of the same thing for my truck

Hammergun

It's not homemade as it's a truck vault but it works do me. I have a short truck vault for a Suburban or Taboe for sale possibly. They're great. 

image.jpeg

UplandHntr

Its obviously homemade for my Suburban. No security. Just a platform, with a middle support and 2 wrapping paper totes. 2 XL crates.  I only had to buy the carpet. Keeps the sliding around and noise down.

DSC03770.JPG

DSC03766.JPG

Brad Eden

Some nice stuff here. I go the red neck route in my 4 door 1st gen Tundra. Duffle case with shells, dog paraphernalia etc behind front drivers seat. Strap vest draped over same seat. Cased shotguns on floor, dogs on back seat. I did put some seat covers over seat. My dogs always use to ride in bed under a cap, no dog box. (I did use a crate when traveling a long distance like Canada which wasn't often.) When the late great Jake got old and I had to lift his 80 lbs into the bed I started letting him ride in cab. It was easier getting him in. Cash has never seen the truck bed and just stinks up my cab.

Jfwhit

Great post so far.  Good ideas.  Especially the strap vest over seat. 

Dog has always rode in crate inside Tahoe.  Love the smell.  Especially when he got skunked. 

Hub

Early season I run a dog box with no topper until it starts getting cold.  Top storage and 3 gallon water can.  I like it to be small enough to fill up from a tap and carried around easily so I can take it inside so it won't freeze.  I use gamma seal lids for 5 gallon pails for dog food that are water tight.

IMG_0143_zpsgfrelmjg.jpg

Late season I make my buddy drive.  Sometimes we load my dog box into his capped pickup, but lately we have been going with the Mud River type insulated covers.  I have been trying devise a post that deemed this picture necessary for almost a year now, my buddy did all the driving and I'd gone 5 up and down on grouse and shot a limit of woodcoock.  Despite hunting pretty much next to each other he couldn't buy a bird all day.  I tried suggesting he use my gun when I hit five...he suggested I see I could have a 'ten grouse day' (legal in MN).  I didn't get there, but it's as close as I'll probably ever come.  I referred to him as my 'chauffeur' for weeks afterward

IMG_20151017_170847122_zpsrfyeeqj8.jpg

Here is what it looks like on a late season pheasant trip.  Note the intense organization and specialized water container we bought at a feed store (lower right and red)

IMG_20141203_115155177_zpsmz7fozgw.jpg

Kansas Bound

Here is my setup

0928161910.jpg

WhatsDaPoint

Decked drawer system. Ruff Tuff kennels.

Windoors on side of truck. 

Will put mud river kennel covers on when it gets cold. 

image.jpeg

Jakeismydog2

What are your thoughts on the decked system?

WhatsDaPoint
20 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

What are your thoughts on the decked system?

So far I love it. I was able to install by myself. Each drawer can hold 200 lbs. It allows me to get 3 dog crates across, above the wheel wells. 

My prior truck had all my stuff in the back seat. Now my back seat is clear and everything is in the drawers. 

atticus

My daughter and her boyfriend had this made for Sharon and I last Christmas. I was able to use it once last season in Vermont and It was great for fishing season.  It is now set up for grouse season!

DSCN1831_zpsn9ftlbuc.jpg

IMG_0136_zpsvujgfewv.jpg

IMG_0133_zps3a5tsjbm.jpg

IMG_0134_zpsnbudb4l4.jpg

IMG_0135_zpsg4fxgae7.jpg

quailguy

Since I can hardly drive a nail, I had to buy my dog box, a 3 hole one with topside storage. Got it from Fiberlite about 7 years ago. The box is light enough so that 2 guys can move it from one pickup to another easily. It is surprisingly warm, too. A coupla years ago in South Dakota it was 19 degrees when I woke up and I staggered out to check on the dogs. No problems, the water in their water bowls was not frozen and the dogs were nice and warm.

IMG_1432_zps7zmrs4qx.jpg