2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
oldbird

What is it about a truck?

oldbird

Bought a '55 ford pickup when I was 17 now roughly 50 years later I have never owned a car. Trucks of all kinds makes and models. If I had money to spend it was on a truck.

My wife has a car, so do my kids. So what makes a truck guy?

NECarson

A need or desire to carry things outside the passenger compartment? 

Faux masculine bravado? 

UplandHntr

Quite simply, I couldnt do what I do without some sort of truck. Ive never had a p/u, always full size suv's. Last three have been suburbans. Whether its room, ground clearance or towing ability, I need a truck. 

Brad Eden

I have always had trucks because I haul all sorts of crap, from lumber, to garbage, to fuel, to chainsaws, to dead bloody deer and wild turkeys. The truck bed being separate from the cab is perfect for that. Got nothing to do with any overcompensation...:o

bobman

yep they are far more useful than a car or even a suv, and they hold their value because of this

an old car wont bring 50 bucks they depreciate to nothing but an old truck is still usefull

PartridgeCartridge

I miss the old bench seats.

Rockdoc

This is a story I’ve told before. I always liked mini-vans, take out the seats and they’ll haul a nice sized load, they drive like a car, are great for camping, and they get good gas mileage. I like PU trucks too but generally the gas mileage isn’t that good so I stick with my mini-van. One day I was working on my boat in a storage lot and one of the guys there, who I’d gotten to know over my boat repair weekends, climbed out of his PU truck and walked over and asked me why I drove a mini-van. I explained the hauling capacity, drivability, 26mpg gas mileage, and its overall usefulness and all he could say was “Yah, but it’s a mini-van!” He was generally a nice guy and his question was sincere so I didn’t come back with a smart-azz remark about not needing a PU truck to bolster my manhood. Still, I felt his summary remark was interesting and amusing. FWIW there are times when I long for a smaller 4X4 PU truck such as the Toyota's that two of my friends drive and may opt for one when I finally lay my 2005 Caravan to rest. However, it just turned 207K and I expect it to get to 300K.

Steve

River19

Once I had a truck years ago, I knew I could never be without one.  Way too useful.......of course we now have 2 trucks and an SUV for 2 people but I digress......

Brad Eden
15 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

That brings back a good memory about a crappy truck. My first brand new truck was a 1986 give or take Ford Ranger single cab 4x4. It had a bench seat. My oldest daughter was a tiny tot at the time. I can still picture her chubby little legs sticking straight out when she was driving around with me. 

Rockdoc
28 minutes ago, bobman said:

yep they are far more useful than a car or even a suv, and they hold their value because of this

an old car wont bring 50 bucks they depreciate to nothing but an old truck is still usefull

Bobman,

Back in about 2001 I purchased a used 1997 Dodge Caravan with 150K on the speedometer for $2,500. I proceeded to put an additional 136K on it, finally selling it in late 2007 with a bad transmission and AC (but it still ran good) for $700. The guy who bought it planned to take it to Mexico put in a new transmission and resell it there. I was very pleased, ultimately spending $1,800 for 6 years and 136K miles of usage.

Steve

bobman

a mini van is not a car, I like vans and have been hunting birds out of them for 30 plus years when I finally wised up.

My van dog box

018 - Copy (800x600) (790x593).jpg

bobman
28 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I don't they had no lumbar support and would kill my back

uplandave

While I am a pickup guy there are times I think a Suburban would be a nice hunting and fishing

vehicle. I have 2 friends that had mini-vans when the kids were still at home but sold them when they

became empty-nesters. The funny thing is they soon bought new vans because they missed the room

and extra seating (avid golfers and such) not to mention the gas mileage was better. Dave

PartridgeCartridge
11 hours ago, bobman said:

I don't they had no lumbar support and would kill my back

Bench seats weren't designed for lumbar support Bobman.

Remo

Bob missed that one. Like he shoots. ¬¬