FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
bwjohn

T5 or T5mini?

bwjohn

Looking at getting a new collar to go with my 320.

I have grown dogs, but will be getting a puppy soon, so the t5mini might be nice for that occasion.

are there any real drawbacks to the mini, other than the 4 mile range?

thanks for any input,

brandon

NECarson

It also has less battery life. 

WAGinVA

I recently bought a T5 mini because I was taking a 12 week old setter pup out of state on a grouse/woodcock hunt.  The only advantage of the mini is that it will fit on an 11 inch dogs neck.  Shorter battery life and reduced range are not benefits.  It is slightly lighter than a standard T5.  It makes a good puppy (or very small breed) collar.  It gave me piece of mind while out of state BUT if your dog has a 13 inch neck or larger go with the T5.

Craig Doherty

I switched to all minis -- 5's and 15s -- shortly after they came out.  Have not experienced any appreciable difference in range or battery life.  When hunting I turn the collar on when we let the first dog go in the morning and leave it on all day -- usually charge it every night but if I forget both the collar and handheld are good for two days of hunting.  

huntemupruby

Just ran my dog with the mini and my buddy has the regular 15. Battery life was close, but we do charge every other day. The range is not an issue unless you lose a dog, but for me panic would set in upland hunting well before 4 miles since I would have corrected my dog for working past 100 yards several times. I would assume she is looking for a new home at that point, rather than lost. 

tut

I have a mini T5 and D50 for my 320.  The D50 is large for my Lew, and I like the Mini much more.  I haven't had an issue with range or battery life, but Sophie generally is a 50 to 200 yard dog dependent on cover.  Actually like a beeper, but if the wind gets up and with old ears, they are sometimes hard to hear. 

MDash2

I switched to the mini as the current youngster has a 14" neck. IMO it fits this size dog much better. I have not noticed a difference in battery life or range.   

gaberdeen

I use a tt15 mini on my 2 mutts. No issues with the mini's.

terrym

My new ES pup is tiny. The runt of the litter so now my DC40 is massive on her. I'm thinking I need to go to the mini. I'm in the East so wouldn't need extreme range capacity. 

huntindog1

I read a field test done by double U website. Said they did not notice a range difference that both collars had same range.

Dongotto

Anyone else able to chip in with some first hand experience with these collars? Th

Bird Buster

I run 3 TT15 minis on my Brits due to smaller necks  and love them. No problems at all dont really notice reduced range compared to my brothers set up with regular TT 15 collars. 

terrym

I assume the minis are compatible with an Astro 320?

airmedic1

I have 3 t-5's, 1 DC-50 and 1 T-5 mini.  I run the regular T-5's on my larger dogs and run the mini on a smaller shorthair. I also just bought the new Garmin Pro series e-collars and put both the Mini and e-collar on one strap for that dog and I like it.  The mini and the Pro series collar use the same charging clip so that is a benefit I guess.

i have not noticed a difference in battery life nor a difference in range. The both work better than the D.C.-40's that I had and I never had any real problems with them.  I do think it might be more comfortable for the dogs with the smaller collars and will probably buy the mini when I add or replace old collars. 

AM

airmedic1

The regular T-5 and the Mini T-5 are compatible with the Astro 320.  That is what I am running now,but I do have a 430 that I just haven't put in service yet.

AM