• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Uplander

"Geeze Baxter, That's a Lot of Blood...."

Uplander

This here's my annual fork sticking thread.

Been afield at least 3, and sometimes 4, days a week, 6 - 8 hours a day, for the past 2 months.  Burning the candle at both ends what with keeping up with work late into the nights after hunting, and also keeping up with the wife....

So this morning when I took Piper into a cover, I was dragging.  She flushed a lonely, late woodcock and a pa'tridge, and my shotgun felt like a lead stick as I raised it.

Dropped her off at the Old Homestead, and found an abraded pad that was oozing blood.  Took care of her and turned to Baxter.  Baxter was all atwitter, knowing he was on deck.  I wanted to call it a season then and there, but I had promised him he would get his turn....

We headed to a cover I know is still hopping wth birds, and Baxter proceeded to put 3 pa'tridge up in short secession.  I was slow and behind on all.

As Baxter ran near me, I noticed his lolling tongue looked awfully red....  Whistling him over, I was shocked to see bright red blood pouring out of his mouth, covering his bottom jaw, chest, and forelegs.  Dropping to my knees, I grabbed his muzzle and frantically started looking for the wound.  My hands were drenched with blood, and it was running down my arms and I could hear it dripping all over the dry leaves.  At this point I looked him in the eyes and said "geeze Baxter, that's a lot of blood....". Moving his tongue around, try as I might, I couldn't find the source of the blood.

Two thoughts flashed through my head:  (1) it's probably just a little cut in his tongue, they bleed like crazy, and (2) if this is something more serious, we're more than a mile from the car/road, and the nearest vet is 30 minutes away after that; he won't make it if the bleeding doesn't stop.  Sitting in the woods not able to find the wound wasn't going to help.

Baxter was in no pain at all, and kept giving me a look that clearly said, "I'm good, it's just a flesh wound!"  We started running back to the car.  The whole time he seemed fine.  About 2/3 of the way there, we had to ford a stream, and he stopped and splashed around.  I noticed there was no new blood replacing that which washed away....

Heart slowly coming back to normal rhythm.....  I checked him over and could not find the wound.  But, there was no more blood.  Used the stream to clean up both of us.  Drove back to the Old Homestead and did a thorough exam of him.  Nothing.  No foreign objects, no apparent wounds, nothing.  He ate dinner just fine.

So, I think we're calling it a season.  It was a good one.  Shot a lot of birds.  Missed a lot of birds.

It was a lot of blood.  Scary....

PartridgeCartridge

Glad he's ok. What was it a tongue cut or something else?

Uplander
3 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

What was it a tongue cut or something else?

Still can't find the source.  Lisa looked as well and can't see anything.  He has a lot of black in his mouth.  Near as we can figure, some area of soft tissue in his mouth got cut by a stick or thorn.  With all the poking and prodding we've done, he hasn't shown the slightest discomfort....

sdspringer49

Funny coincidence.  Last Saturday I took my Piper out to chase some pheasants.  At one point I noticed she had blood all over her chest and front legs.  Check the mouth, bright blood.  Blood running onto my hands.  Took me a while looking around but the source appeared to be her lower lip in front of her teeth.  Decided it was best to head to the truck.  By the time we get there the blood has stopped.  Give her some water, wash her up a bit and put her in the truck.  Left for the next spot, giving her time to settle down and make sure the bleeding was stopped.

No more blood the rest of the day.  Those mouth cuts can sure look bad and even worse when it gets on their front legs and chest.  Until it either stops or you figure out where it's from, it makes you pretty nervous.

TimJ

Yep, those mouth cuts can worry a guy. Last year I called Deuce in for a drink on a warm day and he was dripping blood out of the mouth. I gave him some water and couldn't find a cut and the bleeding suddenly stopped. Freaked me out for a minute or two.

Tim

Brad Eden

I've had my dogs come in looking like a scene from The Chainsaw Massacre. Always a tongue cut. This warmer weather really gets their tongues lolling and looking for a briar or barbed wire or anything sharp. It's amazing how fast the tongue coagulates and stops bleeding. Scary chit though for sure.

atticus

Glad he is ok!  It can give you quite a scare especially when the vet is a ways away.

Earlier this season I had Boo get tangled with some barbed wire in a thick cover in Vermont.  The blood was pouring out so I brought him back to the truck.  After a once over I knew it was a tongue cut but I had never seen so much blood and it didn't stop.  We got to the vet 30+- min later and it was still bleeding-although less.  It turned out a vein under his tongue got sliced open and was protruding.  He needed a couple stitches. 

Rockdoc

Years ago I took my last dog Samba hunting and she cut her tongue. Before I knew it she had blood all over chest and front legs. When I got home she hoped out of the car and ran into the house. The next thing I knew my late wife was shouting  “OMG YOU SHOT SAMBA!!!”

My wife had a special way with dogs, big or small, young or old it didn’t matter they all loved her. Officially, Samba was my dog, but she was actually Gail’s dog.

Steve