2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Natty Bumpo

BEST VENISON TENDERLOIN (INNER LOIN) RECIPE

Natty Bumpo

Guys:

I did a search but didn't come up with anything useful. We are blessed this year to have four nice venison tenderloins (inner loins) in the freezer.. Want to prepare these as part of a wild game dinner. Most recipes on the 'net for "tenderloin" confuse this choice cut with the backstraps (outer loins); not the same thing.

So, how do you prepare them for a special dinner??

NB

charlo slim

Grill hot, to barely medium rare.  Light salt and pepper.

That's it -- tough to improve on perfection.

VizslavsBird

Roll in course black pepper, vacuum seal and place in the fridge for about 2 weeks.  Then place on a hot grill and cook medium rare.

dogrunner

Roll  in egg or milk then roll it in seasoned breadcrumbs fry in butter med rare. 

Cooter Brown

If you're talking about what I'd call the "tenders", you have a treat and any of the previous would work great.

This year in the UP we cooked a couple fast and hot and very rare on the grill, with olive oil, little bit of salt and a tiny amount of rosemary.  As the old men around here used to say, it'd knock your weenie in your watch pocket.  Only they didn't say it quite like that.

Them little things and a decent box of wine made for a meal that still makes my mouth water!

Brad Eden

That's a really good point. Many people, even some wild game processors call outer loin or Backstarp "tenderloin", when it's the smaller inner loin that is the true tenderloin. I keep mine whole until ready to eat or if freezing. Same as most said. I simply cut into inch thick medallions, salt and peeper and let sit until at room temperature. Then either grill, broil or fry on high heat to sear, cook lightly until a tad rarer than medium. Usually they are accompanied by roughly mashed garlic potatoes; potatoes cut with some skin on, mashed loosely with a little milk or light cream, butter S&P garlic powder. And a veggie like asparagus, broccoli, etc. Can't beat it. Thanks for the reminder. I'm taking some venison tenderloin out of the freezer today!

browndrake

that was dinner tonight...cut into medallions, marinated for an hour in soy sauce, water, onion, garlic, black pepper, wrapped in bacon and grilled until med/med rare.

trust me

Marinate, wrap and grill as browndrake says, then plate and top with sauteed porto mushrooms in butter, then top with a little reduction sauce made with sauteed diced onions and some red currant jelly and a cup or two of some red wine.  Get that boiling and spoon it over the venison and mushrooms, and you have a fine meal on your hands.

I served that last night with roasted brussels sprouts and garlic bread with red wine.  Amazing.

vabirddog
11 hours ago, trust me said:

Marinate, wrap and grill as browndrake says, then plate and top with sauteed porto mushrooms in butter, then top with a little reduction sauce made with sauteed diced onions and some red currant jelly and a cup or two of some red wine.  Get that boiling and spoon it over the venison and mushrooms, and you have a fine meal on your hands.

I served that last night with roasted brussels sprouts and garlic bread with red wine.  Amazing.

Uh oh, better be careful. Do you really want to take a bath EVERY DANG DAY?

tut

This is the best part of the deer for sure.  Me thinks simple is better.  Little Olive Oil, little fresh ground pepper and salt.  High heat on the grill until medium rare and serve with roasted potatoes/squash etc and a nice glass of red wine.  

PS.  In Virginia they call tenderloins "Fish".  No idea where that came from.

Natty Bumpo
27 minutes ago, tut said:

This is the best part of the deer for sure.  Me thinks simple is better.  Little Olive Oil, little fresh ground pepper and salt.  High heat on the grill until medium rare and serve with roasted potatoes/squash etc and a nice glass of red wine.  

This is exactly what we did last night.

Served with acorn squash, split and filled with brown sugar plus chopped up walnuts and Honey Crisp apples. Plus wild rice and paired with a velvety Napa cab. Mouth watering dinner.

trust me
1 hour ago, vabirddog said:

Uh oh, better be careful. Do you really want to take a bath EVERY DANG DAY?

Poor girl never had a chance.

GraceinVA
2 hours ago, tut said:

PS.  In Virginia they call tenderloins "Fish".  No idea where that came from.

Tenderloins are the same as the "fish" which is the "inner loins". It is much smaller piece and the better of the (2) IMO.

The big "back straps" or out loins are not the same thing as the "fish".

tut
3 hours ago, GraceinVA said:

Tenderloins are the same as the "fish" which is the "inner loins". It is much smaller piece and the better of the (2) IMO.

The big "back straps" or out loins are not the same thing as the "fish".

I know what they are.  I just always wondered who in the heck came up with the name "fish".

Brad Eden

When you cut out the inner loin it's sorta wide on one end and thin on the other and actually looks and feels a little bit like a fish in the hand. Best I got.