FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
dogrunner

Fish On.

Up North

We are back up on Red lake. Put chains on to get away from the road,and people. We caught a few this afternoon, and kept 3 plus a couple keeper perch. We got 22" inches of ice, and snow is starting to be a factor going cross country.

image.jpeg

dogrunner

Nice catch.  That's a good amount of ice. 

Up North

It adds up fast when it gets below-30 . It has been cold,and windy ounce it decided to be Winter.

Up North

When fishing is slow playing catch with popcorn seems to be everyone's favorite past time . Plus makes for a photo opportunity ?

image.jpeg

dogrunner

One don't look like the others. 

Up North
4 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

One don't look like the others. 

One is an oops! ?

dogrunner

Bluegills are some mighty fine eatin. 

image.jpg

Up North

Just lit the oven for some baked walleyes!

Up North

I prefer fried fish, but baked is alot cleaner/easier in the fish house.

image.jpeg

Jakeismydog2

Down here in KS we don't get to ice fish a whole lot. But in my opinion fish through the ice especially crappie and bluegill taste great!

dogrunner
9 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

Down here in KS we don't get to ice fish a whole lot. But in my opinion fish through the ice especially crappie and bluegill taste great!

Yes they do. I tried planting crappies in my pond for a few years they just never did well. So I stuck to what did, perch and bluegills, tasty treats. 

dogrunner
On 1/7/2017 at 1:28 PM, Treerooster said:

I'm catching a few trout up in a high mountain lake here in Colo. Threw back quite a few and tried to avoid catching the little guys. Not bad for a guy that doesn't even know enough about fishing to be dangerous.  :D

PC310001_zpsaoysnree.jpg

I get a kick out of ice fishing in this lake because I can see them take the bait. Only fishing 6 to 8 feet of water and its clear enough I can see individual weeds on the bottom.

They are pretty fussy though. The best I have found so far is a meal worm on a plain hook, no weigh at allt. I tried some small jigs (1/64 and 1/32 oz) but few would take it. I let the bait float down pretty slow on a barely slack line. Seems the more natural float of a hook without any weight is what they want (just my guess). The fish don't really even take the bait but just mouth it. If I couldn't see them I doubt I could catch very many.

Surprised you catch them so shallow. 

Up North

It's been a good trip considering the weather. Snow,wind,and cold has been the story. Regulator froze this morning,but was able to thaw it with the propane lighter I have with for frozen locks. Fishing was a little slow,but good enough to keep it interesting. Time for breakfast then unthaw the truck, and start digging our self out.

image.jpg

Up North

It was only -10 that day, and the diesel truck barely started! I think today we would have been out of luck!

image.jpeg

dogrunner

Synthetic oil should help that issue  but that is mighty cold. I could use some cold weather, my ice is disappearing. ?