REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Ted Moore

TDI Owners?

Ted Moore

Anybody own a TDI? What are your plans for the buy back? I am torn as to what I want to do. Maybe take the cash and put it towards a new Alltrack or a used outback? Have it fixed and do something fun with the few grand they give me? Maybe just bank the money and hope that the market is flooded with repaired TDI's in a year or so and buy one again cheaply? 

I don't know what to do as I love my wagon. What's everybody else doing?

WeeWilly

I don't own one but plan on purchasing in the future to replace my wife's POS Volvo V50. Do you live in a county that does emission testing? I ask this because if not, what needs to be fixed?

Brad Eden

Had to google it...OK the VW fiasco with screwing with the onboard computer to pass emissions tests. What's the Clif Notes version of what they are offering?

Ted Moore

They will either fix your car for free and give you a cash settlement or they will buy back your car. In my case I bought my car a year ago for $12500. I took out a loan at 1.75% and I owe about $10,000 on it. For me, they will buy back my car which includes paying off my loan of $10,000 and they will give me $8334 on top of that. Or they fix it and make it legal , which they will do for free, and they will give me $4600 for my troubles. The problem with this scenario is they haven't told us what they are going to do to our cars to make them compliant. The natural thought is that the horsepower and the MPG will be decreased, and those are what make the car so great. My car is nearing 100,000 miles and will need some work in the future (probably brakes and timing belt in the next year). 

VW has the new Alltrack which is my wagon (but not diesel) in 4wd and it is supposed to compete with the subaru and will get about 30 MPG on the highway (I get 40-44 on the highway). The Outbacks get 32 + on the highway (and have more ground clearance, which is a problem in the TDI). 

So I am torn as to what I want to do. I love my TDI. With the snow tires on it, it is as good or better than any of the AWD vehicles I have owned. And it is very comfortable and a blast to drive. It also fits 2 medium dog crates in the back  without putting the seat down. 

WeeWilly

For me, that's a pretty easy decision, take the $$ and run. How often do make $$ on a car? My math tells me you will profit handsomely ($8334 in a year!!). I'm waiting for a discounted "unfixed one" because our area county does not test emissions.

I have 3 friends that are selling them back because they are making several thousand (or more) on cars that they all drove for several year. 

The fix will have lower mileage or power, no way around that. 

watermen

Wife, sister, Mom, and Uncle all have the passat.  Nobody has told us of the fix,  my wife has decided to keep hers because she likes it sooo much.  The money they are offering seems to good to be true, but I voted for the sell back because dealer was offering incentives on a new one on top of VW deal.  I would buy a used one in a heartbeat.  They are making everybody reregister for some unknown reason. 

WeeWilly

Probably have to register them because the Feds want to be able

to limit registration/tabs on vehicles that are not fixed and also VW wants to know exactly who and how long the vehicle has been owned by that person. I've heard of people buying them up hoping to get in on easy $$. Don't think it's going to fly it you have only owned the car for a couple months.

PaFlyfisher

It makes 0 sense to keep it. 

You are making money on a car purchase, think about that. 

What is the fix? That it hasn't been disclosed is disconcerting. You won't own the car you bought and love, but rather a neutered version of the car, less power and less MPG, the two reasons that made the car a worthy alternative to the Subaru in the first place. 

Someone is paying you $18k for what is literally a lemon of historic proportions with 100k miles, my only concern is that you have to think about it.

Engine aside, the typical VW quality issues will starting adding up post 100k. 

I wanted a TDI wagon badly before this fiasco, not anymore. There are plenty of great alternatives, even fun to drive alternatives, in AWD. Take the money and run. 

Dogwood

The low end torque of a turbo diesel in a relatively small vehicle is addictive. Have not driven a TDI but multiple small Audi's.  A real hoot until they hit the shop.  Ouch for even the most basic repairs.  Test drive an Outback with a 6 cylinder; has way more punch then the 4 and will run circles around the TDI in the snow with similar tires.  You will sacrifice a small amount of gas mileage but a very similar feel on the road to the TDI.  Way more spacious interior IMO.

NW River Mac
24 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

The low end torque of a turbo diesel in a relatively small vehicle is addictive. Have not driven a TDI but multiple small Audi's.  A real hoot until they hit the shop.  Ouch for even the most basic repairs.  Test drive an Outback with a 6 cylinder; has way more punch then the 4 and will run circles around the TDI in the snow with similar tires.  You will sacrifice a small amount of gas mileage but a very similar feel on the road to the TDI.  Way more spacious interior IMO.

Ha, that's funny because my wife thinks she's driving a race car when she gets behind the wheel.  The 2010 Jetta does have a great low end and that tranny is fantastic.  She's decided on selling hers back.  She's getting a bit over 10K for a car that has 240k plus on it.  She want's another one!  I'm not so sure the repaired cars will be the same or if they will be available in time.  She turns hers in February 2nd. 

OceanRoamer

Being in a philosophical mood this evening, one could argue there is a moral dimension to the question as well...i.e. does keeping the TDI suggest implicitly condoning Volkswagen's behavior? Or, alternatively does keeping the TDI imply a belief in forgiveness and redemption.

Dogwood
5 hours ago, OceanRoamer said:

Being in a philosophical mood this evening, one could argue there is a moral dimension to the question as well...i.e. does keeping the TDI suggest implicitly condoning Volkswagen's behavior? Or, alternatively does keeping the TDI imply a belief in forgiveness and redemption.

Ooooh good one!  I vote neither given that VW is paying stiff penalties and losing market share.  Hence it's not your moral dilemma.  Or ethical for that matter.  I always confuse the 2.

mister grouse

Is America great or what?