2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
blanked

Another reason against new ford trucks

WeeWilly

The commercials i've always seen say they are "Built Ford Tough". Ford blames the car wash, surprise. That was probably the first F150 to ever go through the car wash since they are so rare. Aluminum on a Shelby Cobra yes, on a truck, no thanks.

terrym

Sometimes a truck should be built like a truck. I'm also not wild about turbos that can cost thousands to replace for marginal decreases in consumption. To each their own though. 

Coalman

It says at the automatic car wash I go to to take your antenna off.

No issues.

dogrunner

I have had 12 new  Ford trucks since 95 with antennas and have never unscrewed one for a car wash.  Don't know anyone that does. My dad and I got new 2016 F150s  in June. I can tell this one went on a diet from my 14 it does feel lighter.  But it gets better mileage than any of the others and that is what all the brands are striving for because of epa.  This 16 has noticeably more power and torque than the 14 both being 5.0 and the best motor trans  combo I have had. Dads got a workout this fall going places maybe we shouldn't have been but never had to call for a tow. The  gumbo mud had to be chiseled off to open the doors. There are no holes in the bed from bricks either. :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

BuiltFORDtough.  

image.jpg

Virgil Kane

But is the box water tight?   My son got a new 2016 Ford 150 and I was surprised that the floor of the bed isn't molded but rather the floor is a separate sheet of aluminum from the sides of the bed. Gaps around 1/8 inch at every seem where the floor meets the sides even after he had a spray in bed lined. On my Chevy truck the floor and sides are molded from one piece and the front end by the cab is tack welded in place with an overlapping  joint  with no seams openly visible. Makes a huge difference when someone throws a cap on and expects it to be somewhat water resistant.

Nothing against Ford trucks but I thought that was a huge mistake by Ford to do the bed this way. JMHO.

Virgil

UplandHntr

Wow that truck sure is dusty!

dogrunner

Nope not water tight, There are gaps in everyone I have seen. 

grouse28

Would concern me with the bed gaps with a cap with dogs in boxes in the back.

Was in Maine one year and one of the hunters lost 4 cat hounds in the back pf the truck while it was running.

Parked in snow, rust hole in bed, perfect storm for a tragic ending.

dogrunner
12 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

Wow that truck sure is dusty!

No dust here just grease and that was a good road. 

image.jpg

Brookieslayer

I would like to see a truck box that is water tight... impossible in my humble opinion. doesn't matter who makes it...

Up North

I bet that took a few quarters to clean!?

JK SE PA

I have a 2016 F150.  Been through the car wash a few times.  Haven't had any issues.  Despite the haters, I love my truck so far.  Only 10,000 miles so far, but I'm happy with it.

rolawson
22 hours ago, dogrunner said:

I have had 12 new  Ford trucks since 95 with antennas and have never unscrewed one for a car wash.  Don't know anyone that does. My dad and I got new 2016 F150s  in June. I can tell this one went on a diet from my 14 it does feel lighter.  But it gets better mileage than any of the others and that is what all the brands are striving for because of epa.  This 16 has noticeably more power and torque than the 14 both being 5.0 and the best motor trans  combo I have had. Dads got a workout this fall going places maybe we shouldn't have been but never had to call for a tow. The  gumbo mud had to be chiseled off to open the doors. There are no holes in the bed from bricks either. :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

BuiltFORDtough.  

image.jpg

dogrunner,

what kid of gas mileage are you getting with the 5.0 in the 2016?

dogrunner

In mine which is a Super-cab Off-road version with a 3.73 locker in the summer was getting 20.8 at highway + speeds a lot of the time. Now about 18.8 with cold weather and winter fuel. Best I have ever got, even better than my 2011 Ecoboost.