FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
blanked

Another reason against new ford trucks

Skybuster

Virgil, here's a photo of my F150 bed. You'll note I had the bed sprayed by Z-Bart with Rhino Coat. There are no open seams along the wall of the bed. I believe the seam is the line off to the right. There is an open seam at the very back (toward the cab). However I assume that is by design. If I had the aluminum bed I'd be sure to have the open seams sealed and then apply the Rhino Coat. I still believe the extra mileage with a lighter truck would be a plus.

truckbed.jpg

Brookieslayer
11 hours ago, Virgil Kane said:

I don't know when they changed thing but does your bed have a separate floor from the side walls that are welded full length or does it have a molded one piece floor and sidewalls? I'm thinking your model year still had the molded floor and sidewalls or at least welded full length.   A person can see the ground in spots on the new Ford 150's because these are not welded full length. I know the older Fords didn't get water coming up from splashing and tire spray like the new ones. If yours has a molded floor and sidewall or welded full length check out the new Fords and you can see what people are talking about or look here http://www.f150forum.com/f38/whats-all-bed-gaps-263736/  

cd98f73c-0b48-11e6-815e-11c196ac9a02r.jp

I'm sure in the future Ford will come up with a fix for this but right now it's kind of the 600 pound gorilla in the room.  

Virgil

No truck box was ever welded full length, if it started that way it would be full of cracks... needs to have the ability to flex. That is why auto manufacturers spot weld and use seam sealer, and that is why airplanes are riveted. Not be ing critical of anyone here just the facts...

I also agree that a tighter tolerance would be much nicer, seam sealer(polyurethane) would have made for a better finished product.

dogrunner

2015 was the new aluminum body and it won Truck of the year that year. :D 

settem
1 hour ago, Brookieslayer said:

No truck box was ever welded full length, if it started that way it would be full of cracks... needs to have the ability to flex. That is why auto manufacturers spot weld and use seam sealer, and that is why airplanes are riveted. Not be ing critical of anyone here just the facts...

I also agree that a tighter tolerance would be much nicer, seam sealer(polyurethane) would have made for a better finished product.

Most if not all Manufacturers have gone to weld bonding, which is a combo of panel bonding adhesive and spot welds. 

I have pulled apart a few of these joints and without heat you will destroy the underlying structure.

Panel bonding adhesive is some tough stuff, some manufacturers feel type of joint is even stronger than a fully welded construction. 

The only thing I see wrong with the pictured bed is, IMHO, it should have been sealed with a two part seam sealer before primer and paint. 

Virgil Kane

. My whole point is this. When I looked at my sons Ford I was shocked that the inside  bed of the truck looked like it was put together by an 8th grade shop class. Pretty sad looking for a truck who's sticker price was north of the 50 thousand mark.  I agree that aluminum is going to be lighter and give better gas mileage but the workmanship on these beds rivals the Fords of the early 60's when they looked like they were held together with bailing wire. Not being critical just stating facts, a buyer shouldn't have to take a 50 thousand dollar truck and take it home to apply sealer to the bed seams to make it the way it should have come from the factory. It's a beautiful truck that my son has, every option one could want with lots of power and luxury but the shabby way the bed is put together would have been a deal braker for me. Even with a spray in bed liner applied  the gaps in my sons truck bed were so wide (more than 1/8 inch and some almost 1/4 inch in spots) the liner didn't even begin to close them up.

Skybuster you are lucky that you have the older style bed floor that has the molded corners. The new ones are at 90 degree angles where the bed floor meets the sidewall and has no radius at the corners, that's where the gaps are. 

Buy a truck from the top 4 manufacturers and they are all good. Ford has pushed the envelope by using aluminum in a truck which is good, they just have to take a closer look at the little details and correct them to make an excellent truck even better.

Virgil 

25/06
On 1/8/2017 at 0:51 PM, bigjohnsd said:

My '14 SCREW 3.5 Ecoboost, the last of the steel trucks, Mileage Summer 17.6 +/-  Winter 14.8 +/-

John same with me but we live where interstate speed is 80....If you want to saave gas drive thru Iowa or Minnesaota!

bigjohnsd
17 hours ago, 25/06 said:

John same with me but we live where interstate speed is 80....If you want to saave gas drive thru Iowa or Minnesaota!

I'm not complaining.  My Ridgeline, with much less power and towing capability, only averaged about 18 in the summer, the SCREW has heavy winter tires on for the winter and with winter blend gas I expect some drop.  

67diesel
On 1/8/2017 at 6:19 PM, dogrunner said:

In 2018 you should be able to get a F150 with a diesel for all that wanted one. Plus  the 150  is getting a refreshed front like Super Duty looks and 10 speed trans in all motor configurations.  

Not to quibble, but I believe the naturally aspirated V6 still gets the 6 speed.

dogrunner

Correct but that engine gets little attention  because it is under powered. It will be a new 3.3 liter instead of the old 3.5.   My 5.0 is pulling better winter numbers than I thought . They would have been even better but I got hung up behind a accident . I never start it up  and let it idle. This is 2/3 highway + speeds. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wes Stueber

dogrunner,

Tell those Ford engineers to change those key fobs, will you?  They need to make the buttons recessed.  On my '16 Lariat, I am always hitting a button accidentally while it's in my pocket..!  Drop the tailgate - hit the ALARM button.....crazy!  Anyone else have this problem?

I solved the bed gap problem - just put a nice rug over plywood flooring to cover it all.  Gaps are all covered up now.  Love the truck otherwise!

Brittman

dogrunner
5 hours ago, Wes Stueber said:

dogrunner,

Tell those Ford engineers to change those key fobs, will you?  They need to make the buttons recessed.  On my '16 Lariat, I am always hitting a button accidentally while it's in my pocket..!  Drop the tailgate - hit the ALARM button.....crazy!  Anyone else have this problem?

I solved the bed gap problem - just put a nice rug over plywood flooring to cover it all.  Gaps are all covered up now.  Love the truck otherwise!

Brittman

Yep I have that problem, I am Not a key fob fan. 

Chukarman

i have owned (and now own) a number of Ford trucks and SUVs. I would buy another in a heart beat.

My current 2001 F350 (7.3L diesel) gets 19 MPG when driving with no load on the highway. Love the truck.

dogrunner

The bed might not hold water but it gets way better mileage with more power than any of my other trucks. ?

image.jpg

salmontogue

Ram 4-door 4x4 1500 Eco-diesel.....29/22.6  Will tow 10k

Ram 4-door 4x4  3500 Cummins.....22/18.4  Will tow anything I have, JD 4720 w/ loader and backhoe, 2 car enclosed trailer, 28' boat

Perk

ThomGordon

I have to agree

I like my 2012 Ram a lot more than my 2016 aluminum F150. I personally would like to see Ford deliver a truck with the steering wheel straight for a change