• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Brad Eden

ADDING YOUR LOCATION TO PROFILE/POSTS

Brad Eden

HOW TO ADD A LOCATION IN YOUR PROFILES.

Doing so puts the Location under Avatars on Posts. It puts all posts, particularly ones that are geographically important into perspective.

It doesnt have to be specific, just an idea on "where you are coming from."

It's now mandatory for newly registering Members but wasn't when this Board and Memberships were Converted.

Here is how.

1, click your User Name on upper right. 

2, choose account settings

3, click edit profile on far right

4, fill in Location field

*NOTE, you will also need to add something to Interest field too, sorry, I had to enable this for new registrations to detect spam and trolls and can't shut it off for editing Profiles.

5, click Save

Thanks

Michael Stenstrom

I have to say that I appreciate it when members have at least their real state, if not area or town they live in.  It helps me to feel connected and neighborly when i can picture the landscape they travel through daily.  Might be just me but  "Location:The Willywacks" (no offense if someone actually has that) just makes it hard to connect with someone. 

Brad Eden
43 minutes ago, Michael Stenstrom said:

I have to say that I appreciate it when members have at least their real state, if not area or town they live in.  It helps me to feel connected and neighborly when i can picture the landscape they travel through daily.  Might be just me but  "Location:The Willywacks" (no offense if someone actually has that) just makes it hard to connect with someone. 

Well, you gonna add a Location?

Ben Berg

I think it should be mandatory for anyone on this site to give their real name. Maybe people would refrain from some of the darker comments if they were held responsible.

Sage Hen

I think certain topics such as weather , bird numbers, habitat conditions, regulations and hunting techniques have more value if you know at least the general area of the country the poster is from. Just my .02$

Fire Marshal Bill

I think it makes a lot of sense to give a general location of where an individual comes from.  For one thing it helps the reader better understand the point of view of the person writing the post. I could go on and on but I not a fan of long post. But I understand that sometimes long post are necessary to fully explain a situation. 

BobD

I have been using my real name and address my whole 52 years of life and have never been shot or killed! Perhaps I am just living on the edge~

Dave Rice
1 hour ago, Ben Berg said:

I think it should be mandatory for anyone on this site to give their real name. Maybe people would refrain from some of the darker comments if they were held responsible.

I too like this, although it's impossible to verify. 

Dave Rice

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Ben Berg said:

I would never require that on this Board. I don't begrudge anybody for not using their real name as a handle, or not putting it in their public Profile. Even though I go to great lengths to keep all security measures up to date on this Board software, and keeping spammers, trolls and troublemakers from registering, it's still the internet, and this is a public not private Board. Plus, I moderate this Board to the degree that "dark comments" are rare and if they appear are generally removed, unlike most other Boards and social media. It's what UJ is known for.

Birdcountry70

I most often look at UJ on my android smart phone which doesn't show the location under the avatar for some reason. I can only see that if I use my IPad or desktop.  I'm guessing it doesn't work on iPhone either or anything that uses mobile format?

Brad Eden
7 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

I most often look at UJ on my android smart phone which doesn't show the location under the avatar for some reason. I can only see that if I use my IPad or desktop.  I'm guessing it doesn't work on iPhone either or anything that uses mobile format?

Good to hear you are accessing UJ on a smart phone. remember the days before the Conversion when UJ wasnt mobile friendly? It was grim.

And correct, The mobile "smart phone" version of the Board/Software eliminates some info like Locations so it will fit screens, etc., etc. Locations, as you pointed out do show up on Ipads/tablets on regular version or mobile and on desktop computers.

Brad Eden

To top....not mandatory for already registered or "charter Members" but sure puts posts in context and perspective...

Cooter Brown

I have my real name in my profile--I did this on the old site as well.

Seems to me only registered members had access to profiles on the old one--is that the case with the new site?

Brad Eden
5 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

I have my real name in my profile--I did this on the old site as well.

Seems to me only registered members had access to profiles on the old one--is that the case with the new site?

Yes sir, Guests...Lurkers cannot open and view Member Profiles but that they can read any Topics on Public Forums and in turn see Members User Names/Handles.

NECarson
On 1/2/2017 at 5:29 PM, Ben Berg said:

I regularly question the intelligence of having Brad change mine to an approximation of my name... 

Sometimes it's nice to not have people be able to find you so easily.