FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
RuffChaser

Dogtra Pathfinder

RuffChaser

Anyone seen these? Apparently it's a GPS/ecollar that uses a smart phone for tracking. I can't find much out about it yet but it looks like it must send a bluetooth signal from the hand held to your phone to see your dog and you have an app on your phone to connect the signal to an existing map on your phone.. There is a control on the handheld for correcting the dog. I wish I could read a little more about it but there isn't a lot of detail just yet. Looks like it'll be formally introduced at the SHOT show. Not sure I would buy one but it'll be interesting to see how it is received.

RuffChaser

I found out a little more. It sounds like you may be able to contyrol the ecollar from your phone via an app.

rolawson

In my opinion, if Dogtra is coming out with it, it will be top shelf. Of all the brands I have used, Dogtra has been the best.

grouse28

Would seem to me to be cumbersome in the field, using two devices wherein the other products use one.

Not sure most phones can stand up to the beating they would take exposed to the brush and elements.

Could also be confusing, is that a point, an email, a text, or a phone call.

Can you hold for a moment? my dogs on point. Would the phone app have a noise cancelling feature so your caller's ears are not blown by the shot?

jeffstally
On January 10, 2017 at 1:41 PM, grouse28 said:

Would seem to me to be cumbersome in the field, using two devices wherein the other products use one.

Not sure most phones can stand up to the beating they would take exposed to the brush and elements.

Could also be confusing, is that a point, an email, a text, or a phone call.

Can you hold for a moment? my dogs on point. Would the phone app have a noise cancelling feature so your caller's ears are not blown by the shot?

You do not use 2 devices on this.  You carry a unit that "talks" to both your phone via bluetooth and to the dogs collar, but you control everything with the collar via the phone app.

Pomoxis

I think that it is genius if it works. My concern is battery life on my phone. I assume that the bluetooth gps receiver will work in airplane mode so as not to burn up battery but with that said, one wouldnt be able to use your phone for much else. I like the fact that you could use Google maps but that would mean that one would have to preload said hunting areas or you would burn battery. I just sprung for an Alpha and wish that this would have been out sooner as the price tag certainly would have caught my eye.

grouse28

Understand now. Still question the durability of a cell phone in that type of use.

If one needs a newer more rugged cell phone then the cost does not seem so economical.

madduckdog

I have not seen where it has a "on point" alarm or a "on tree" alarm.. also no vibrate. I would get one if it had on point alarm. more than likely that is. .. I agree I like the company the most of all the dog electronics companys

madduckdog

asking around it looks like it does "on point" and "on tree"

CWTNC

I guess the app. will let the phone serve as a stand alone GPS with out cell service? To bad I just bought a Astro 430. I really like Dogtra products. 

Talon1

I have the OnX Maps app on my iPhone. The issue that I have with it is the iPhone seems to drain pretty fast in the map mode if the weather is cold. Cold weather does not affect my Astro as much.

If this system drains a phone as fast as the OnX Maps App does, then it would be pretty much useless for about half of my hunting season.

That would be my only hesitancy on it. I can't afford an Alpha and I don't care for having the dog wear two collars (e collar and the Astro).

I am  going to keep my eyes on this system and see what happens with it.

JRoutson

I saw this and am defiantly interested in hearing some feedback once it gets into some users hands. Price seems right to me and Dogtra does have a good reputation. One thought I had is if it doesn't use cell service, could you use an old deactivated iPhone(or any smart phone for that matter) for your tracking. It would be easy enough to download the app using wifi. Battery life of my cell phone is my biggest worry with this. Defiantly staying tuned.

scottbu

Yeah I wonder about using an old phone too, and if you can than I would buy this

Urban_Redneck

There is a similar (?) system called Laelaps I've been watching coming to market soon.

Trappercase

It says you CAN use an old deactivated smart phone.