• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
RuffChaser

Dogtra Pathfinder

madduckdog

I should have the garmin alpha in a few days....once I hunt with it in a few weeks I will report back

dogrunner

I don't think you will be disappointed. 

forestdump
On 10/30/2017 at 6:45 AM, madduckdog said:

Well I am back from the north woods. Here is the review I promised

I have also decided to return the dogtra pathfinder. Here is my report on its performance.

First let me say my cell phone could have  caused some of these issues but who can tell for sure I have a older phone a Samsung S5.. it has replaceable batteries… I planned on keeping it when I got a new phone as the pathfinder’s cell phone,... I own extra batteries so when power goes out I can just put in another battery.

The good

The unit is very easy to use and if you have cell coverage or know where you are going the google maps are free and have great detail satellite imagery is hard to beat.

The bad.

1.       I am guessing that the unit relied on my phones compass because most of the time it worked but many times it was pointing indicator was pointing to the wrong way … the north south east west seemed right but the arrow was pointing the wrong way. Asking garmin users and some say that if the compass is not calibrated the garmin sometimes does the same. So this was not the strike that made a big difference.

2.       Sometimes it took a long time for the collars to appear online I am also told this can happen with the garmin but I was in to the hunt still waiting for the unit to start reporting if I had a big running dog I would forsure wait till it was on line before sending the dog out.

3.       The app sometimes just quit working this is a BIG issue.. if you mark your truck once you restart the app the truck Is gone also the data starts all over.

4.       You can Only choose alarms for one dog. If you are hunting 2 dogs and the dog you did not choose to put the alarm on points you will never get a notice… just the dogs icon changes.

5.       I did experience some bad data.. I could see my dog only a little in front of me but the pathfinder app said it was 7.3 miles !!!!! infact it was stuck on 7.3 miles when I went to the next spot and put out another dog with a different collar his collar said 7.3 miles too. I had to turn off everything and restart it to clean out he 7.3mile issue. This only happened once… could this have been my cell phone YES but who knows.

In the end I was debating on keeping it,… I believe that the app and product will get better as it gets further developed. I ask my wife what I should do she said … you use that tracking collar to keep up with your dog…. If you cannot depend on it what good is it.

If you just could not afford the alpha the pathfinder would work 85% to 90% of the time I would hunt it with a beeper collar in point only mode so you do not depend on the compass on your phone. And you will know when another dog is pointing.

Also leaving the screen on,… my cell phone ran the batteries down fast .. but with the screen saver on battery was not a issue. So If you plan on stairing at the screen all day you will need a cell phone with great battery.

Also it does not work with leather gloves as a phone’s touch screen does not.

If it helps with you decision, issues 1,2,3,5 also happen with my garmins

madduckdog

Just got the alpha in... thoughts so far.

the collar appears bigger and seems to take longer to charge.

the Alpha has many more options I like the training buttons much better.

I reallly like the proximity feature

I have not messed with it too much but kinda of worried that I cannot find any tone volume will I here and feel when a dog goes on point...

it appears that the pathfinder is about twice as fast on point alarms

I have a lot to learn and just getting to know the alpha but so far I am not sure how much better it is than the pathfinder. I guess I will find out in the field.

madduckdog

first use in the field and I am enjoying it ... the alpha is nice...

dogrunner

I have it up on my left side shoulder I can hear it there.

Sivart

I’m thinking about getting the pathfinder. I’m a little tech challenged when it comes to understanding how the Google maps work. If I’m out in the middle of Kansas, do I need to download Google maps? I just want to be able to track my pup when she points. Or find her if she gets lost.

madduckdog

I have been using the alpha for a while now and I will say it is very good unit... I have had wrong data ie the dog is close and it says its 42 yards out but much less bad data that the path finder and the alpha seems to fix its self with out a reboot of the unit.

the pathfinder is much easier to use but does have less features... I do like the pathfinders sounds MUCH MUCH better than the alpha it the pathfinder has a voice feature "AX is on point."

the big deal for me was the compass pointing did not work very  well for me and my cell phone 20% of the time..This could be all because my phone is not very good. and maybe not a big issue for some one not hunting in thick cover

NC Quailhunter

I am a fan of the pathfinder. I have had some wrong data as was stated in the previous post but that gets corrected as the system refreshes. The compass is the feature that I use the most and that is the most important to me. I so far have had no issues with the direction to my dog. I hunt in piney woods that get thick in some spots and I have been able to find him with no issues. I just had an update get sent to me so I will see how that effects my system. Hopefully an improvement and not a problem.

braque du upstate

Good thread. Just got back from running the pup in the grouse woods. think she was running deer. She was gone about 30 minutes. Long way from nowhere. Made me sick . I really don't want to enter the woods without some sort of GPS.  400 vs 700 for Garmin. Online research doesn't seem to favor either.  Christmas time, 400 doesn't sting so bad.  The fenix watch for Garmin looks cool. 700 + 500 for the watch is a bit much . Wouldn't care in a month or two.  Not sure the Garmin is better. I hate getting lost. I really just want to role Into spot and feel confident. Truck is here. Dog is there. everyone comes home. App crash seems more probable than a Garmin meltdown.   maybe bite the bullet and buy Garmin . Couple videos had loss of signal at a half mile with Garmin.  Really don't want to stare at a phone all day. The watch feature might really shine. My lab is young and should calm down . Dang dogs cost more than my kids... 

dogrunner

Plenty of guys on here run Alpha's and Astro's for many years. I have had my Alpha 4 or 5 years I won't put a dog on the ground without it. You don't need the watch. 

dogrunner

Every vest I wear has a setup for the Alpha. Left shoulder and I can hear it. 

D11637C6-006C-413E-BAE3-AB8F8267FED7.jpeg

ANF grousin

Any updates from those using the Pathfinder?  I'm interested in the GPS function  with the phone as I wont be buying the dual collars.  If I upgrade it will be between the Pathfinder or an Astro 430.

Fur and Feathers
On 1/25/2018 at 6:52 AM, ANF grousin said:

Any updates from those using the Pathfinder?  I'm interested in the GPS function  with the phone as I wont be buying the dual collars.  If I upgrade it will be between the Pathfinder or an Astro 430.

I'm also interested in any updates from any one who has been using the pathfinder for a while. I am pretty certain the pathfinder is what I will go with. Gun Dog Supply has a 30 day trial period, that's reassuring. I've been holding off buying and waiting to for some better weather to test it out before the 30 days expires.