terrym

Supplements, again.

terrym

So I have a 6.5 yr old Britt that had TPLO surgery and then as the Vet warned could happen with an active bird dog blew the other side. 

This is not something I wish on any dog or its owner. 

Here's  my question: I just bought an 11 month old pup and was wondering if it made any sense to Also put her on joint supplements? They really seem to have improved the older dogs quality of life. I was just reading in gundog magazine that it's recommended to start with young dogs. Opinions?

Brookieslayer

I use elements J on all my dogs after 6 months old. Even if the glucosamine does't convivce you the omegas should. great supplement in my opinion and many other vetrinary professionals and professional dog people I have talked to.

MSchafer

I put bone broth on his food a few times a week, and give him some of the pulp from her juicing a bushel of veggies per day.

MTPipeliner

I use them for my older dog who has had both back knees repaired, but not for my pup.  They make a world of difference in the older dog, without them she can't hardly move after a hunt, but shes good to go with them.  

I guess it wasn't really a concious decision to not gibe them to the pup, just figured I will do it when she shows sogns of needing them.  

terrym

I guess my question really is do you think they are only useful "after" an injury or may have some use in protecting from an injury? The Britt has pretty good quality of life but I have retired him from hunting as he just can't turn it off and would hurt himself. 

garyRI

Just took our 10 year old, in great shape, Boykin to the vet. She, the vet, asked what I was feeding and using for supplements. I said Pro Plan Sport & Buddy Bites. The had me add fish oil daily, and two eggs a week to the routine.

Our oldest told us about Buddy Bites. I noticed them on her kitchen counter & asked about same. She said they are a glucosamine thing & I asked if she could see any results. She replied that since they put their 12 year old German Shepard mix on them it could jump on the beds again.

For puppies I have always used a brand name puppy chow. And when I first bring them home a mix of canned & dry weaning off the canned after about a month.

forestdump

I use Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM supplements on my dogs a year old and up. I get the human grade because you can get it at a higher dose for much cheaper than the supplements marketed towards pets.

dogrunner

^^^^  me also. 

terrym
On 2017-02-14 at 7:35 AM, forestdump said:

I use Glucosamine/Chondroiton/MSM supplements on my dogs a year old and up. I get the human grade because you can get it at a higher dose for much cheaper than the supplements marketed towards pets.

I was wondering about just that. So there isn't anything different or harmful in the human grade supplements? Thinking about going on them myself. My knees are pretty good but so many of my buddy's are now in pain due to knees. 

Bob Blair
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:35 AM, forestdump said:

What brand and strength? Thanks.

dogrunner

This is what I use. 

image.jpg

Bob Blair

How much? With food?

dogrunner

I give mine 1 pill a day with there food they just eat it like everything else.