REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WAGinVA

Garmin DC 40 Problem

WAGinVA

One of my DC 40s apparently crapped out today.  I lost communication with the hand held and switched to a different collar.  The problem collar does not connect to satellites (does not show double or triple flashes of the red light).  When I try to update the collar it will not connect with my 320 handheld.  The collar shows a long red light followed by a short red light or a double short red light and then goes back to the long red?  Any help would be appreciated.

Cooter Brown

I gave my Astro and DC 40s as well as the docs to a buddy, but it seems I recall there's a way to reset the collar units.  I'd give that a try.  I think you simply hold the power button down but that might not be right.

Garmin customer service has always been very helpful to me and the wait time for the dog products is usually not very long.  Maybe a little longer on Mondays.  The first thing they'll ask is if you've updated the software but you've already tried that.

Best of luck with this.

WAGinVA

Thanks Cooter, google and trial and error are your friends.  Found a reference to hard reset for DC40s (you basically hold the power button while trying to upgrade the dog unit), this resulted in no success but a solid red light all the time.  Found a video that had a method to fix solid red light (basically remove all collars and start with the one with the solid red light and upgrade dog unit), very limited success, the collar would upgrade to about 10% and then fail.  Found some references to unplugging the battery for 30 minutes and then updating software and found a video on replacing the battery that showed the disassembly process.  Unplugged the battery and was finally able to get the software to update and the collar to connect to my 320. 

Cooter Brown

Sounds like you got it straightened out--technology is a wonderful thing until it goes wacky for no apparent reason.

Sounds like a truly hard "reboot"--shutting it down all the way by removing the battery--is what fixed it?

WAGinVA

Yes that is what worked but be forewarned the battery has to be removed for about 30 minutes.   Somehow the gizmo "stores" energy.  Also after I successfully updated the collar software I had to delete the collar from the hand held and re-pair them to get communications  Seems to be working right now, time will tell..